Rear control arms

98r50

So I now have the dreaded rear end shake and my upper control arms bushings are shot. My question is how difficult is it to replace the uppers. I plan on ordering the complete arm so I wont need any bushings pressed. My repair shop said it would be about $150 labor to replace them, so I'm trying to decide if I should do it or have them do it.

I just replaced both the upper and lower bushings on my '97 after it developed the "pathfinder wobble" with poly bushings from 4x4.com about a week ago. They fit very tight and are supposed to have a much longer life than the factory nissan bushings. The shop I brought my rig to said that they are sometime a pain to get the old ones out. Sure enough they were. Cost about $350 in labor to have the have them remove all 4 arms, press (and cut) out the old bushings and press in the new ones. Worth every penny though! The back end doesn't sway at all now.

Any truth to the idea that the polyurethane bushings will provide a much harsher ride than the OEM rubber bushings?

Also, with the cost of the labour to have the bushings removed/pressed in, it almost seems like buying the entire link is cheaper/easier. Thoughts?

in my case buying 2 new links was cheaper then buying a new link and bushings. i bent one. i would just buy 4 new stock links, polys arnt worth the trouble really. but grab some new bolts from the dealer and stop by home depot on your way home for a cutoff wheel or grinder, those lower bolts will but rusted in there.

Any truth to the idea that the polyurethane bushings will provide a much harsher ride than the OEM rubber bushings?

Also, with the cost of the labour to have the bushings removed/pressed in, it almost seems like buying the entire link is cheaper/easier. Thoughts?

Minimally, perhaps. The shock absorbers and springs have a much larger effect on controlling ride quality. All the arms do is stay put and pivot on the bolts.

When I had mine replaced i took it to a mech. The book says 2hrs each to get (press,dig,burn,cut,mutilate) out the old bushings times 8 bushings.

I decided to replace all four links instead. Cost was about $700us, but I had them do the front pinion seal too. I talked to the mech after he had completed the job, he said that he hoped to never have to do that again. he said it was a real pita to get the rear end lined back up to put the links back in. Something about the axle wanted to keep moving forward. I dont know all the details but i'll bet he tried to put the links in without completely removing the rear axle.

I replaced my lower links with OEM from the dealer in a rocky driveway with minimal tools. I did have an impact wrench which helped. I did one at a time, and there were no re-alignment problems. I did the whole job in less than one hour. I did them one at a time, so that might have helped hold everything in place. I'm in FL, so rusted bolts were not an issue. If you are in a snowy climate, make sure you check out the condition of the bolts and have back-ups in case you break them.

• 4 months later...

I just got my poly bushings in the mail this week and plan on installing them on the lower arms. I have access to a press so hopefully getting them on won't be the problem...

Any reccommendations as to removing the old ones quickly and easily? Band saw, grinder, torch, etc??

Edited by dkpath96

I just got my poly bushings in the mail this week and plan on installing them on the lower arms. I have access to a press so hopefully getting them on won't be the problem...

Any reccommendations as to removing the old ones quickly and easily? Band saw, grinder, torch, etc??

Uh, use the press?

Not to post jack, but whos replaced their front lower control arm bushings? Mine seem to be shot.

I have. It wasn't easy. The rear bushings are easy enough to pull off, but I had to burn out the front bushings, then cut a channel in the remaining metal collars and use an air-chisel to get them out.

bent_arm.jpg

The replacement poly bushings are a piece of cake to put in, and they're still squeak-free.

i have to do mine fronts too. rear is easy enough if you do one at a time like alex that way you have 3 guiding the axle into place an extra set of hands would be nice too to hold the axle in a general direction while you slip the bolt in its definitely a diy driveway jobbie

Hi,

Anyone got the link to companies that sell the poly bushes? Over in Oz I can only find Lovells who sell them and they are a bit pricey. Maybe cheaper to get from USA and pay the postage.

Hi All,

Just paid for my Poly Bushes Aus$410 (Inc GST) that includes:

Front Control Arm Bushes (2 per Side, total 4 bushes)

Rear Upper link (4 shelled bushes)

Rear Lower link (4 shelled bushes)

Rear Panhard Rod (2 shelled bushes)

Rear Stabaliser Bar (8 bushes)

Really looking forward to replacing them, just got to find a hyd press!!! Have seen one on Ebay for Aus$150, 6 ton capacity. Must be worth it as I have been quoted Aus$20 per bush. Bloke must have been dreaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will be doing it in about 6 weeks as I am away on a course till then. My list of jobs is getting bigger:

Replace cams with JTW sat in garage

Replace Bushes

Replace strut bearngs

wash and polish car

sit back and drink a big one!!!

Anyone seen if there is a replacement front strut mounting bearing? The OEM version is plastic and I was hoping there may be a needle bearing type version out there?

• 3 weeks later...

Just replaced my bushings with polyurethane and I don't find the ride to be any harsher. Just lovin it...no more wobble, best money I spent for bushings and tackled the job myself