installing a new car stereo in a '96...

dkpath96

I've hooked up all the wire harnesses correctly and all have continuity and such, and the stereo has power. The problem I have is that the speakers have no power - they will not put out any sound at all.

I've narrowed it down to one cord that was in the old stereo, that has no adapter to the new one. Attached is the picture, and you can see it to the right of the two wire harnesses:

It has two metal prongs and red tape around the wires behind the plug.

Anyone know what this is, and what I need to attach it to the new stereo (see second post for the new stereo plugs).

:help:

post-7-1167245951.jpg

Edited by dkpath96

When you wired up the harness, I assume you bought a harness to match your truck, then wired the one that came with your new deck to that, correct?

If so, did you wire up the leads for the speakers? Also, check your fuses, I know mine won't work if the "Audio Amp" or "Radio" fuses are blown, though, my truck is a 95 Pathy.

When you wired up the harness, I assume you bought a harness to match your truck, then wired the one that came with your new deck to that, correct?

The harnesses are all wired properly, and the fuses are fine.

When I plug the truck's two white harnesses into the old stereo (not a Bose) it does the same thing my new one does - no speakers - and no power, either. But the new stereo gets power from the harness. Just no speakers.

I tested the two-pronged plug for voltage with the key on but didn't detect anything, nor did it give any resistivity, so I am really not sure what it is except that it is necessary for the old stereo to work...

Edited by dkpath96

The harnesses are all wired properly, and the fuses are fine.

The harnesses must NOT all be wired properly, or your speakers would be working. Was everything working before you took apart the dash?

The 2-pronged thing with the red tape on it is your "diversity antenna". You need an antenna adapter such as this one.

Is this HU the one you have? You probably need some kind of harness adapter to convert the JVC outputs to the Nissan audio harness to get the speakers working properly, such as this one.

Edited by XPLORx4

The 2-pronged thing with the red tape on it is your "diversity antenna". You need an antenna adapter such as this one.

Is this HU the one you have? You probably need some kind of harness adapter to convert the JVC outputs to the Nissan audio harness to get the speakers working properly, such as this one.

What *is* diversity antenna? I wanted to ask but dont want to make too many useless topics :\

The "diversity antenna" is an antenna that does not use the normal antenna connector. It uses the standard mast antenna as well as a secondary antenna embedded vertically in the center of the windshield glass.

yeah that whole diversity antenna stuff is stupid, find an adapter for it, but i dont think that is causing your problem. you need to make sure your factory amp is getting power. Bose or non bose it still has as an amp in the back to power the speakers.

After have 1 minute of googling.

radio diagram

check connection B and F. wire F should be grounded to the radios ground wire.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Yes, the JVC Arsenal KD-AR770 is the one I got, and I do have the wiring harness adapter; and the haynes manual had the wiring diagram/color code like the link you posted. But the link is a bit easier to figure out... thanks! :aok:

I didn't know about the amp issue and that will be my next step. This is quite a learning experience for my first time at swapping out a car stereo - I figured it would be simple... HA! :shrug:

I still don't understand why the old stereo won't get power without the diversity antenna plugged in (even with the original harnesses attached), but oh well.

I do have to laugh about the old stereo - it's in a nissan, was produced by ford, and was made in mexico. Talk about a global economy!

Defenatially the amp wire. I had this problem with mine. There should be a blue (but might not be) wire that you have to hook up to your remote turn on wire which is blue. It is like having the blue wire on your system.

I never knew about the diversity antenna, but i remember about that wire and cant remember if i hooked it to anything or left it. But, it would explain why me raido reception sucks balls! The normal antenna is hooked up but the coverage goes in and out. What do you hook it up to? Is there a screw on the back of the cd player for it to go? That would be my guess....

yeah you can just ground them all together, as long as you know its getting grounded on the amp and the radio your good. As for the diversity antenna, you just buy an adapter, i think its like $15 bucks. I didnt feel like paying that much so i just went to the local JY and paid $.50 for one off a wrecked pathy.

• 5 weeks later...

Some late info...Most Nissans use the antenna as the ground for the radio. The aftermarket harness should have a ground wire coming out of it not attatched, a black wire with a spade terminal on the end. Most aftermarket radios will turn on if you use the factory metal brackets which essentially ground the radio when you screw the brackets in, but not have enough of a good ground to power the internal amp on the radio, or even send a strong enough signal to turn on the factory amp. The diversity antenna is a as stated in earlier posts a seperate am and fm tuner going into one antenna plug, so the antenna adapter and/or a solid other ground for the radio along with the amp turn on lead if you have a factory amp is all you need to do...maybe someone will find this useful in the future

• 2 years later...
Some late info...Most Nissans use the antenna as the ground for the radio. The aftermarket harness should have a ground wire coming out of it not attatched, a black wire with a spade terminal on the end. Most aftermarket radios will turn on if you use the factory metal brackets which essentially ground the radio when you screw the brackets in, but not have enough of a good ground to power the internal amp on the radio, or even send a strong enough signal to turn on the factory amp. The diversity antenna is a as stated in earlier posts a seperate am and fm tuner going into one antenna plug, so the antenna adapter and/or a solid other ground for the radio along with the amp turn on lead if you have a factory amp is all you need to do...maybe someone will find this useful in the future

Bringing up an old thread, but oh thank God...

Very helpful.