Cone filter....

SaKaNa

So heres the idea. I've got a cone filter that looks like it should fit over the pipe going to the airbox. First I'd like to try to fit it over the old bolts, and tighten it down between the airbox connector and the MAF, but if thats too big, I figure I can just saw the airbox's connector thingy right off at the end and tighten this right on... Whatcha think? Worth screwing this up for that?

Edited by SaKaNa

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're willing to accept the fact that you may end up replacing a fried MAF, then by all means.

I dunno, if I ever had anything like that crudely built in my truck it would have shaken off and been dropped and smashed back on a trail miles and miles ago. I'd leave it tight and sealed like it is (if you do any sort of wheeling at least)

just my .02 :D

I dont really think that it'd kill the MAF for any reason, I mean, its just better airflow. And I'd definitely need to design some kind of bracket for it, it wouldnt hang loose.

And I dont do much off-road these days, no time to, so thats not a concern really.

its not cruddily built. thats how mine is. i just took the maf sensor thingy. and cut off the plate thing that connects it to the airbox with the 4 bolts with a band saw. and then attached my cone filter to that. added some brackets. why spend 30 bucks for a dumb MAF adapter?

Yea, I figured I'd just saw off right along where that MAF -> airbox thing is, and then use the half inch or so thats remaining to hold the cone filter on...

I dont see how I'm going to kill my MAF by increased airflow... navygz.. explanation please? I'd rather not be flying down the highway and have my engine suddenly go out.

Because it doesn't take water to kill a MAF. Vibrations alone can sever the filament inside it. But anyways, sounds like you have your bases covered already and seeing as you don't off road, you needn't worry about vibrations.

And nissandoms I didn't say "cruddily", I said "crudely". There's a difference b/w the two. When you take shortcuts like this you run that risk. Like I said, it's just my .02.

Increased Airflow alone will not kill it. It's the type of air that makes the difference. Hell, you can drive with no filter alone and it would be fine, until the dirt and grime/dust coated the sensor and it stalled out on you. An open filter like that, even in dusty conditions runs that risk as well.

Edited by navygz19

I dont have any pics but I just took my lid off and used a adapter which was like $10 at autozone. That way if I ever decide to do a snorkle the box can go back on real easy. But my friend just cut off the flang on his maxima and put the cone on the afm and clamped it on.

My neighbor has been bugging me to do it for months now, I've got to SOMEHOW compete with his Ram with a new cold air intake and flowmaster exhaust.

So, theoretically this is going to work, my biggest concern now is plastic dust from sawing, and supporting the entire setup.

That too. After re-oiling, they MUST be set out to dry in the sun before re-installing. I found this out the hard way a few times on me old SE-R, so the K&N I have in the Pathy now is cleaned and re-oiled properly and per the instructions.

To be honest, I wasnt going to oil it at all. I figure that if something can actually fit through this thing, its gonna just burn up anyway.

Unfortunately, it doesn't just "burn up". It becomes the gunk you'll find all over the IM/TB when your throttle starts to stick.

Yea, but that just needs to be cleaned off, as will the MAF anyway after doing this... So I'll have to do a bit more cleaning, big deal.

So back tot he inital post... can anyone see any reason why this wouldnt work? My only worry is that it will somehow slip off the little space left to hold on to. But as long as I'm on paved roads I dont think it would be much of a problem or long before I discover its not connected any more.

Oil the filter. A K&N filter won't do anything for sh!t if it isn't oiled. That's why they say they filter better with a little dirt trapped in the oil. Minute particles WILL end up in your engine, and WILL start wearing into the cylinder walls.

Don't kill your engine for 2 more HP...doesn't make any sense. I thought only Max was dumb enough to run sans filter, which is basically what you'd be doing without oiling the K&N!! :shrug:

Edited by Simon

I don't see what off-roading or not has anything to do with how well this idea will work. Vibration is vibration, whether it's from rocks and washboard roads, or from freeway expansion joints and uneven pavement. I've driven on paved roads that are just as bumpy as unpaved roads, and in some cases are worse, due to the higher speeds associated with driving on pavement.

If you just cut off the end of the MAF sensor holder, there will be no lip to prevent whatever is attached to it from slipping right off. Also, there's a screen on the front of the MAF holder that helps to even out the airflow so that the MAF gets a good "average" reading of the air being consumed.

intake_old.jpg

Honestly, I don't see the point of this anyway.

Edited by XPLORx4

Sawing off the end of an intake and attatching a filter, to me, seems risky considering the jarring effects of offroading. It's plastic afterall. Why not spend the little bit of $$ and get an (aluminium) pop charger? Seems more stable to me.

If he wants to do it, by all means go for it, it's not my engine afterall.

In addition, I tend to stay away from intakes due to the bad luck I always seemed to have with them. I've had three intakes on two different cars and twice rattled a MAF to death.

Edited by navygz19

Tonight I'm stopping by Pepboys to see what they have along the linse of something to just connect to the bolts where the airbox is. If all else fails, then Friday I'm rigging my own.

Oh, and about max. He may be reckless and insane, but at least hes willing to try the stuff that the rest of us look at and say "oh hell no" to.