What do you always have with you?

NismoSkyZ

Since I don't go wheeling I don't carry a lot of spares with me, but in various spots in the car you will find:

• 2 gallons of drinkable water (for me! :P)
  • 2 gallons of non-drinkable water (engine, etc.)
  • full first aid kit
  • 2 small fire extinguishers
  • tow rope
  • 2 tie down straps
  • 2 belts (pant belts, yep.. really..)
  • magic toolbox (it tends to have just the things in it that i always need at the time i need them)

And a telescoping bit of leather covered iron I can't have with me in most civilized countries >.>

• 4 weeks later...

I am happy to report, after being stranded at Stuckfest last week, I now have an 8000 pound hand winch, 2 14' 8500 lb. hooked tow ropes and a pair of rubber boots. I'm ready now. Well almost. Hi Lift Jack coming soon, for those times when there are no tree's around.

Harbor freight sells the hi lift jack very affordable.love mine. Watch the sale ad's and get the 12k winch for $150/$250. I got lucky and got the winch, plate and wireless remote all for under $200. I'm just cheap that way.

Harbor freight sells the hi lift jack very affordable.love mine. Watch the sale ad's and get the 12k winch for $150/$250. I got lucky and got the winch, plate and wireless remote all for under $200. I'm just cheap that way.

Nothing wrong with being cheap. Right now the 12,000 pounders are 300. I do keep my eye on them. Harbor Freight is 3 min from my house, I'm in there all too often. If they go down to 200 or less I'm gonna pounce on it, then go home to face my wife's wrath. :suicide:

• Like 1

Lol. When I got stuck last weekend I brought her a chair to sit in while I dug it out. She threw the chair in the mud and started shoveling,lol. But it was a PITA. I want to prevent that from happening in the future. Not the stuck part, that's going to happen, the unprepared part. :suicide:

I hear that!!! I don't have the winch mounted yet, im thinking about having a front hitch made for me, then I could use hitch mount and use it on either end. I'm also building a off road/bug out kit to keep with truck at all times.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a high lift... Floor jack... Tools... Tow straps and chains... Dring hitch... Boots... Zip ties duct tape... And a shovel/hatchet 2in1

Sent from my Q7 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just putting it together now... but a DIY emergency welding kit:

-2 lengths of 2 gauge battery wire, with battery terminals at both ends

-welding goggles

-welding gloves

-7014 or 6013 welding rods

-jumper cables (already in the vehicle)

-old bike tubing (to wrap the jumper cable that holds the welding rod)

Watch a few youtube videos, practice a bit at home, and then throw this kit together. If you're totally hooped, and you have a second or third vehicle, put the batteries in series and DC weld away!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My glove box... dust mop, sunglasses, notebook, perfume .. bulb,.. I think I forget something....8a6e3y7y.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

Edited by SUPERPOLLO

• 2 weeks later...

I saw several mentions of 20k+ lb tow straps so I'm curious if you guys actually spent several hundred dollars on tow straps or if maybe you meant 5k straps.

Back on topic I'm a very MacGyveresk kinda fellow.

On me, 2 knives, 1 folder for general use, 1 self-defense, i smoke so always have 2 lighters on me primary and mini back up, and a small flash light either in pocket or in Snap-on backpack I never leave home without. It contains everything i need in case i decide not to go home. Being a bachelor i frequently spend night at river etc on a whim.

On truck

Tire slime in tires

Small 12v compressor

Ax and machete

Pouch of cheap throw away wrenches 4-17mm

Jumper cables

Few extra screws and bolts I've accumulated

Stock tire changing equipment

Couple small rachet straps

Change of clothes and a coat or hoodie

That's it for me.

Edited by PeteyPathy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You live in America now...you probably forgot your gun. :jk:

Nope. I got that. Only places I go without that is school and federal buildings. Or places that have posed asking no firearms.

Other things I always have in my rig:

Glock Model 81 knife

Spare blinker bulb

Tire pressure gauge

Mini compressor

Angle grinder

Couple pens

Couple note pads

Spare for all belts but T-Belt

Emergency blanket for the winter

Flares

Usually my bicycle helmet and gloves

iPod shuffle

Microsoft Zune HD

AUX cable

Manual for the rig and all accessories such as the radio.

I think thats it. All stuffed in a single cab D21!

With me:

CRKT Wasp knife

G26

Wallet (of course)

truck, tractor, house, barn and gate keys

Xperia Z phone.

Just put this together the other day. Never again will I get stuck with no shovel to dig with.nu2umy3e.jpg

Oh my god, that is so ingenious , I'm going to do this. Could also add the other tools I only use in emergencies. Thanks for sharing.

I saw several mentions of 20k+ lb tow straps so I'm curious if you guys actually spent several hundred dollars on tow straps or if maybe you meant 5k straps.

They aren't that expensive. A while back Pro Comp had had a sale (can't recall through who) and 20k lb straps were $15.99 and 30k lb straps were $19.99. I bought 3 of the 30k and on reflection I should have gotten 1-2 of the 20k as well; you need some big arse D-rings for the 30k-ers! I gave 1 of the 30k straps to a friend, but then bought some used parts from a member and wound up with another 30k strap, 30k tree saver, 12k snatch block, more D rings. Combined with my HighLift jack, 94' of 3/8 cable off of a dead winch and another 94' on the mounted winch, if I can't get to you/get you out, just leave it there until spring and come back with an excavator...

As for 5k straps, the only thing I'd use something that light for was to move a vehicle across a flat parking lot. That is a liability right there. if you are stuck in as little as 4-6" of mud or sand, it takes approximately 2x the vehicle weight in pull to get it moving, so 8-9k lbs for a Pathy. That is why I have a snatch block for my 8k lb winch, and actually plan to upgrade to a 9.5k, it is barely enough...

There is a link here to the US Army vehicle recovery guide, that has good tips and numbers, especially when pulling up a grade, etc. I'll see if I can dig it up for you...

B

Found the thread, but sadly the Army links are dead. The information can still be found in the link Pezzy supplied, about 1/4 way down.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/20836-vehicle-recovery/?hl=%2Brecovery+%2Blink

The BOLD above is a mis-statement; sidewall depth miring equals approximately 1x vehicle weight pull strength, hub depth equals approximately 2x vehicle weight pull strength requirement. At least I was off on the side of safety. When it comes to recovery, always use heavier rated equipment than you think you need... ;)

B