What do you always have with you?

NismoSkyZ

What do you guys always carry with you in your trucks? I have a very dismal list that includes jumpers, bungies, ratchet straps, bottle of oil, flashlight, flares, a flat tire kit and a mini air compressor. I plan to do some major mods this summer and do A LOT more wheeling...what else should I have?

Sometimes when I go wheelin, I bring a shovel... I dunno if that sounds dumb or not but its already worked once. What would be ideal would be a collapsable shovel that could fit in some sort of plastic sleeve so as to not get your cargo area dirty (or a holder on the outside of the truck maybe). It works well to dig out ruts when you get stuck, I know a couple instances when my friends got stuck and we could've gotten out within minutes had we had a shovel (stuck across comparatively-dry ruts).

Having some water and food with you is also usually a good idea... if you get stuck and have to sit waiting for someone to pull you out its always a good idea to have something to eat/drink on you.

• Like 1

Oh man....

Flares

First aid kit

Fire extinguisher

MRE's

Spare belts(alt and PS)

An extra blanket

Gallon of water

3-D cell Mag light

Signalling mirror

Fire starter(magnesium/flint type)

Jumper cables

Shorty shovel

Air compressor or C02 tank

Tire plug/flat repair kit

Ratchet straps

Oil, antifreeze and trans fluid

Belt dressing

WD-40

Clean rags

Leather gloves

ROLL OF TP

Lots of recovery stuff, 3" tow strap, 2" tow strap, couple of tree straps, shackles, clevises, a half-ton comealong, etc

100' of 1/4" yellow rope

20' of 3/8" yellow rope

Bolts, washers, tape, wire, tie rod ends, the list goes on.

The back end is packed. Heh.

• Like 1

Sometimes when I go wheelin, I bring a shovel... I dunno if that sounds dumb or not but its already worked once. What would be ideal would be a collapsable shovel that could fit in some sort of plastic sleeve so as to not get your cargo area dirty (or a holder on the outside of the truck maybe). It works well to dig out ruts when you get stuck, I know a couple instances when my friends got stuck and we could've gotten out within minutes had we had a shovel (stuck across comparatively-dry ruts).

Most army surplus stores carry fold-up shovels like theseLITTLE_GREEN_GIANT_SHOVEL.JPG

I also carry a fire extinguisher, a saw (I got hung up on a stump once plus it's handy when collecting fire wood), various hand tools, a flashlight and some clean rags.

i normally have my tools, 3lb sledge, engine oil, gear oil, brake fluid; recovery eq. which includes a couple of D clevises and kinetic rope and then the almost worthless hand winch and chain. i do have small shovel but last time it didn't get me very far. :sniff: the mud was bad and i only finally dug it out some more when my buddy showed up with a regular sized one. so, if you get a roof rack attach a full size shovel to it. warn even makes little brackets.

those are the basics when i go to an OHV park. when in wilderness i have my camping gear in my backpack. that's everything.. stove, water filter, tent, pad, bag.. food and clothing for at least 20-30 degrees below average for the time of the year. i always have a tiny, tiny first aid kit too. maps and compass. and the number one butt saver over the years has been a bike.. that's right, bicycle. it beats walking.

galoshes. :D

An e-tool is invaluble (folding shovel), pretty much ditto on 88's list , and of course sidearm with extra mags.

ETA: No ones mentioned the Hi-lift yet??????? You gotta have a Hi-lift I think it's a law or something :unsure:

Edited by cdhicks99

An e-tool is invaluble (folding shovel), pretty much ditto on 88's list , and of course sidearm with extra mags.

ETA: No ones mentioned the Hi-lift yet??????? You gotta have a Hi-lift I think it's a law or something :unsure:

you actually have to have something to attach the hi-lift to otherwise it's pretty impossible to use w/o tearing up something bad.

I have an off brand, but as MZ pointed out... nothing to use it on withough resulting in damage. Unless you use it as a winch

I always have...

Engine oil

PS Fluid (aka Auto tranny fluid)

Brake fluid

6L's of water

Flares

First aid kit (Vacuum sealed)

TP (Vacuum sealed and flattened) ...yeah, you read that right :lol:

2 blankets

At least a small flashlight

Clean rags

Jumper cables

2ton comealong

Ratchet/non-ratcheting(can't remember the proper name) straps

two 2in tow/recovery straps

extra alt. and belt.

Fix-a-flat (semi truck size can)

Removable roof crossbar for over the front doors

I usually have...

Plenty of tools

Leather steel toed work boots

Misc. little/spare parts including nuts/bolts/washers/various wire

zip ties (small and large) - almost always have some of these

Some other things I can't think of right now.

I have other things if I think I might need them, including the Farm Jack (like a HiLift) that I mentioned

Many things I still need to get, icluding a new hand axe and a small shovel

I used to also carry a set of clothes but have not for a while.. need to start doing that again

Items:

Two shovels,

Floor Jack,

Bottle Jack,

Regular Jack,

Tow Rope,

Clothes,

Tent,

Spare Tire (great in case of flat tires),

Water,

Extra Fluids,

I know there is more but I can't think of it.

Edit:

Chains all around

Additional Edit:

Car Wiring

Duct Tape

Heaters

Spotlights

Flashlights

Tool Kit

Ummmmmm... Hmmm.

Edit:

Fire Extinguisher

Hi Lift Jack

Edited by Jdpathy

Most army surplus stores carry fold-up shovels like theseLITTLE_GREEN_GIANT_SHOVEL.JPG

I also carry a fire extinguisher, a saw (I got hung up on a stump once plus it's handy when collecting fire wood), various hand tools, a flashlight and some clean rags.

If you look closely the shovel has a saw built in, and chops well if u sharpen 1 side....doesnt cut as good as a real saw though.

Lessee...

- First Aid Kit x2

- Those "hand warmer" packs x4

- An assortment of knives

- Various wrenches

- Assorted screw drivers

- Pliars, wire cutters/strippers

- Multimeter

- Few feet of copper cable

- Electrical tape

- Duct tape xInfinity

- Flashlight

- Various radio parts

- Conglomeration of spare engine parts

- Trash from the last eleven years. . . .

• Like 1

Good stuff there.... allow me to add:

GPS!!!

A couple of the mylar emergency blankets

small tarp and heavy twine (emergency rain shelter, or for laying in mud...)

couple HD yard size garbage bags (makes nice poncho)

water sterilization pellets

couple clif bars

pretty complete first aid kit

wire, misc connectors

hose clamps, misc bolts

folding saw (lotsa trees up here)

water proof matches, vaseline soaked cotton balls or other fire starter

quick set epoxy putty and radiator repair putty

silicone sealant

Edited by mws

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I recently added a 6 D Cell Maglite (dual purpose), a first aid kit from an 05 pathy, a survival knife, fire extinguisher, duct tape, ratchet straps, tire plug kit, 20k lb recovery strap, towel, reflective triangle, and a lighter.

I will soon be purchasing a small craftsman tool kit, folding shovel, water, and a 3-5 gallon air tank.

for survival always have a blanket, a light, a fire source, and a knife (a real one spend around 80 on a survival knife if you know you can get lost without help). Tools and a friend always have a friend, never know when youll need help remember your rig is to heavy to do the ol' leg out the door pushing

Let's see, my Pathy is not configured for off-roading as much as the rest of yours, and I also don't live in such a cold climate to need all the snow stuff, but I try to keep it self-sustainable in the event of a mechanical problem:

- Chilton's guide (don't leave home without it!)

- Mini-Maglite

- Giant Maglite (with dead batteries, really more appropriate as a hammer/weapon)

- Multitool

- $7 Wal-Mart basic socket set (the driver probably isn't well-built enough to survive more than one emergency)

- Bungee cords

- Jumper cables

- Wire brush

- 4-way tire iron (locks up nicely to the spare tire carrier)

- Extra belts leftover from when I replaced all three at once (I know two of them are only an inch different in length and are probably interchangeable, but I forget which two...but I suppose if you were in a REAL tight jam you might just have to sacrifice power steering for an alternator...)

- Assorted fuses and junk (though Nissan, in their occasionally extremely awesome forward-thinking, provided us with a few fuses inside the fuse panel door)

-A bunch of old blankets and sheets, to protect the cargo floor and protect me in the event that I have to get under it in an awkward place.

Almost all of this stuff fits in the commodious pre-airbag-era glovebox, and in the amplifier access panels in the back (which is probably stupid, I'm concerned I might accidentally pull too hard on the jumper cables and rip out my taillight wires so I just be careful).

I still need to get a portable air compressor, because those are just handy. They make a few that take forever to use, but are at least small enough to squirrel away under the drivers' seat...

OH and a golf club under the rear seats. I actually have no idea what that's for, but hey, who really knows what anything is for on these newfangled automobiles?

Well, a couple of times my battery connections have crapped out and I found that if I just took the connectors off and scraped away at the terminals with a wire brush, things would work again.

One of these days I really need to go for an Optima battery and just be done with the whole mess entirely...