Rocking from side to side

govols74n

Hey everyone, my friend has a 96 pathy and it rocks back and forth real bad at any time while driving. It is so bad that the police pulled them over for it. He replaced shocks, struts...and I told him that maybe it was his sway bars. I haven't looked underneath yet, so what else should I look for? Thanx for your help once again, and he'll be joining the site soon.

I had mud (well dirt but it was mud when it got there) on the inside of my rims and threy it so off balance it was hopping wheels off the ground. It was dangerous to go over 40. I dont know if it is the same as your describing but check it out.

I had mud (well dirt but it was mud when it got there) on the inside of my rims and threy it so off balance it was hopping wheels off the ground. It was dangerous to go over 40. I dont know if it is the same as your describing but check it out.

It is probably the trailing arm / control arms in the rear as 88 said. There are 5 bars that connect to your rear axle- he is referring to the upper and lower pair found on each side (the 5th bar is the panhard, there is only one). You can check them easily by giving them a good shake. If they have any play whatsoever, either change the bushings or just change the whole piece. If its a 96 and has never had them replaced, they very likely are shot. Get the wheels balanced. And make sure the alignment is in spec.