Picking up a 96 LE

John Boy

So am set to pickup a 96 LE on Friday but please allow me 2 noob to a R50 questions.

I read the SE had 15x7 rims but did the LE have the same size rims or did they have 15x6 rims. If they had 15x6 rims can I put the 15x7 SE rims on it with a slight rub 31x10.5? or can I put 31x10.5 or 265/75/15 tires on the possible 15x6 LE rims? ( The truck calls for 235/70/15) Which are tiny IMO.

Other question is apparently there is just one thing that doesn't work on the truck and that is the rear side driver's door does not work with the master power lock switch. Could this just be that little rubber switch on the door jam?

I'm really looking forward to more power, comfortable ride and most important NO RUST. I would of preferred a SE but it's hard to find one with a sunroof at a reasonable price.

Thanks

Good luck on your purchase!

I can't answer your questions, but I do know that some popular R50 problems are rear strut bushings (causing truck to sway at high speeds) as well as cracked exhaust manifold, which makes a tapping noise when cold but the noise disappears when the motor warms up and the metal expands.

I have not experienced either of these problems.

Yes, you can put the SE wheels on an LE no problem. I had 31s on my SE with no rub at all.

Thanks............

Could you put 265/70/15's on the LE rims? which call for 230/70/15 without screwing up the speedometer?

I just hate the look of all that extra clearance in the wheel well. I wonder why they went with the smaller tire for the LE :confused:

One thing you should note about the LE: it has final drive gearing that is optimized for 235/70R15 tires. 265/75R15's are nearly 10% bigger in diameter. Putting bigger tires on it will make the speedometer/odometer read slower than actual speed, and power/performance will feel sluggish. If you can live with those shortcomings, then get the LE. Otherwise, I would hold out for an SE.

Also, the LE wheels are only 15x6.5. Putting anything bigger than a 30x9.50R15 tire is not recommended. You should have at least 15x7 wheels to fit 31" tires. 31x10.50R15 fit nicely on 15x8 wheels with 4" backspacing, and give the rig a much "tougher" stance than the factory equipment.

Edited by XPLORx4

One thing you should note about the LE: it has final drive gearing that is optimized for 235/70R15 tires. 265/75R15's are nearly 10% bigger in diameter. Putting bigger tires on it will make the speedometer/odometer read slower than actual speed, and power/performance will feel sluggish. If you can live with those shortcomings, then get the LE. Otherwise, I would hold out for an SE.

Also, the LE wheels are only 15x6.5. Putting anything bigger than a 30x9.50R15 tire is not recommended. You should have at least 15x7 wheels to fit 31" tires. 31x10.50R15 fit nicely on 15x8 wheels with 4" backspacing, and give the rig a much "tougher" stance than the factory equipment.

That was the answer I was looking for, I thank you. I may have to rethink this LE thing, I really like the SE better.

For what it's worth, if I was to do it over, I'd start with an SE. The larger alloy wheels and gearing alone are worth it - at this stage (vehicle age 1996-98) you shouldn't see much a price difference.

Yep am going to have to think about this because as I was getting a good deal on the LE, it's really not what I want. Also am sure come Jan. book values will come down.

I think we need a SE vs LE thread to make some comparisons.

Good luck on your purchase!

I can't answer your questions, but I do know that some popular R50 problems are rear strut bushings (causing truck to sway at high speeds) as well as cracked exhaust manifold, which makes a tapping noise when cold but the noise disappears when the motor warms up and the metal expands.

I have not experienced either of these problems.

REAR STRUT bushings??????????

It's not really a "problem" per se. Bushings wear out. They are a wear part. They wear out on EVERY single vehicle ever made. You probably have worn bushings in your truck, but you're so used to the way it rides that you don't notice it.

Thanks for all the input...I'm really torn between a SE and LE. I find it a dam shame that they set up the LE for smaller tires. I think it would of looked really truck like with the bigger tires and no wheel well or step rails. You can tell they designed this truck with SE in mind and LE as an after thought. Look at how much space in that wheel well, what they hell were they thinking?

Thank you Dean.

Yes, the problem arises when the bushings in the control arms deteriorate and wear out and the control arms have a harder time holding the axle steady under the truck.

It has nothing to do with struts, or shocks, or springs.

Well wanna laugh? The guy just left me a message that he has to back out of the deal........ This was a "Buy it Now" on ebay!

I think he figured out he was selling it to cheap....Oh well I wanted a SE anyway, he did me a favor.

Is there any other online car sale sites besides Autotrader, ebay, craiglist and cars.com :confused:

so youre saying that the rear struts are not the problem?

why did dean mention the front shocks?

Front: Struts (integrated shock and coil spring, one nice neat package)

Rear: shocks (with separate coil springs)

Both: various sway bars, links and assorted other suspension stuff.