WHAT!

milehighcowboy

Are you serious no Pathy lovers in the Rockies. that hurts. Well i guess i am number one. if there are any of you let me know. i would love to get some help on my pathy. i have a timing belt that as far as i know has never been replaced and im at 217 K miles. its a 92. pm me if you are near. Denver.

Dam now that I re-read your post if your t-belt has never been changed and your at 217k you really need to do it ASAP. These engines are interference (whatever the hell that means) all I know is if that t-belt snaps it is going to cost $$$$$$$$$$

ok so would a whining noise when i step on the gas be a serious noise? it started after i went to redfeather and back last night. or could it be that the wheel well guards are now gone because of rust and its just wind tunnel sounds? how much did it cost you to fix your t-belt? what parts am i looking at that are absolutly essential? thanks guys. i would love to get some help with this. i need it done before i leave in april for iowa. i know that would be super bad for it to go 900 miles.

ben

With all the parts you are going to need to replace and might as well while your in there, the cost will be around 250 bucks. I replaced the t-belt, tensioner, water pump, a coolant recover hose, plugs and belts. I also bought the cam and crank seals but did not need to use them. I think the web site is called www.courtesyparts.com but let me double check that when I get home. Just let me know when you are planning on doing the job and I can either come and help you or atleast give youa detailed write up of the procedure and what tools you will need. As far as that noise goes you need to do a little more research, like does it happen when youare coasting? Does it do it at low speeds? Does it whine at idle or when you hit the gas.

the whining noise only happens when i step on the gas. if i take my foot all the way off the pedal then it stops put it back on and its right back. dont take much to get it to whine. if any one has a list of parts i should use then by all means hook me up. i figure i should replace as much of the parts as i can sence it has not had much TLC in all its years. first time the brakes were replaced were by me. guy drove on bare brakes for like 6 months before he sold it to me. i had to buy all new rotors because of the damage to them. thanks for the help you are offering. maybe we can work out a deal for repayment or something.

ben

I definitely dnot live ont hat side of the country, and I've got a 97, BUT it sounds to me like you've got a broken Harmonic Balancer. On mine the rubber seal wore right through, and the metal parts were rubbing together.. $444 to fix that overnight.

I paid, since I have to drive a large number of highway miles per day, and the metal-on-metal grinding sound was killing me.

In that one service time, I got:

Crankshaft Pulley - $220.25

Serpentine Belt - $28

Serpentine Belt - $24

Serpentine Belt - $10

Labor - REPLACE FAULTY HARMONIC BALANCER, INSTALL NEW DRIVE BELTS - $127

Totaled out to $444.40, was done in a few hours.

Well without listening to your truck I can not say what it is exactly. When you replace your t-belt you will be removing the harmonic balancer/crank pulley. You can inspect it to see if the rubber around the middle/edge is still there, It could be something like a vacuum leak too. I broke my balancer while pulling it off so I replaced it witha new one and the price is right I paid 230 bucks at the stealership. lesson learned which is use a harmonic balancer puller with 6mm bolts do not use a jaw type puller (I did and broke it) getting the 27mm bolt on the balancer off and actually getting the balancer off i believe was the most difficult part of the job. But just listen to what people here tell you to do and you will be fine. I will get you a detailed list of parts and tools tommorrow.

That means that if the timing belt breaks, the internal parts of your motor will interfere and cause extensive damage. Read: Broken t-belt = new engine.

Thank you Dan. I had a feeling that is what it meant. I just did not know for sure or what exactly it meant techinacally.

Sorry milehighcowboy, ever since the site was hacked I have pretty much been staying away from it just for good measure. I will get you a part list tonight when I get home. I will give you the list and the place where I got them from, great place good service and alot cheaper than the stealership.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Milehigh, Have you done the t-belt yet? I know the weather is supposed to be nice this weekend. There is a chance I could be in the commerce city area on Saturday, or I will be home putting my guage cluster back together.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...