What oil weight for winter?

BobbyD

I have a '95 SE-V6 Pathy with 119,000 miles. Need to know if I should run the same weight oil in the nasty winter months? This is the first winter with it. I run 5W-30 according to my owners manual. Thanks! :wacko:

My manual states 5W-30 and that's what I use. Plus, 5W-30 is considered an energy conserving oil, so you are "supposed" to get better gas mileage. I don' tknow of a 40 weight that is considered energy conserving.

lol 5w-30? geez, i run 10w-40 in my cars and 10w-30 in the winters. no reason to put that thin @!*% in old cars.

lol! That's what the manual recommends! I guess you know better than the manufacturer! :idea:

Up here in the Great North where temps dip to -40 often... I've been debating 0W30. but ya 5W30 is a must in low temps. Or your gonna have some serious wear and Tear on that baby of yours.

Dowser

lol! That's what the manual recommends! I guess you know better than the manufacturer! :idea:

haha, thats also when all the clearances are factory, most of our motors have 90k+ on them.

I have been running Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W30 in winter, 10W30 in summer.

100% synthetic oil in the engine since the day I bought it. I change the oil 2X a year.

Mar and Oct. She purrs and have had no problems since I bought it. Currently at 189,000 KM's.

Edited by keithb7