Engine warm up time

96SE

Since it is that time off year where this starts to matter, how long does it take everybody's engine to warm up? Mine is the 3.3L (so VG33?), and it takes forever to warm up and produce heat in the vents, or for the transmission to warm up and go into overdrive/lock the torque converter (auto).

Currently it is around 0-10C (32-45ish F), and by the time I get to my girlfriends house (10 minute drive, first 6km on highway) there is a trickle of warm air coming out, the temp gauge is climbing (not yet to operating temp) and the transmission is finally warmed up. The only thing that saves my ass, literally, are the heated seats! In comparison, my dad's Vue is blowing warm air as I get on the highway.

Is this normal for an R50? What can I do to improve this? I plan to have the trans fluid changed at a (different) dealer (I have $100 gift cert to compensate for the old dealer's poor service) , what else should I look at?

Thanks

Adam

P.S. Why has no one invented a heated steering wheel to compliment the heated seats? :)

Edited by 96SE

It's possible that you're simply low on coolant and it's not filling up the heater core enough to generate an ample amount of heat.

I'd get the radiator/cooling system flushed.

The radiators on the R50s are also very efficient, so it's very possible that it's just cooling the already cool coolant. Say that 5 times fast... You can try to block off a part of the radiator with some cardboard (but be sure not to block off the part with the transmission cooler) to reduce the efficiency of it for the winter months and get better heat and faster warm-up times.

It's also possible that your thermostat is stuck on open...

if your t-stat is stuck open, your temp gauge should drop pretty low at highway speeds, then go back to the middle at low speeds or at a stop...this happened in my celica. also, if you have the automatic climate control, it won't blow hot air unless the engine is warm enough.

but since you're wondering how long ours take, here's how mine is. when i was in tahoe last winter, maybe around 17-25 degrees F and snowfall, it took a good 10-15 minutes before the temp needle got to the middle. Here in the city, it's about 45-50 F in the morning nowadays, and it takes about 5-8 minutes for it to get to normal temp.

After making sure you do your flush and making sure that your t-stat is in good order, you could do eletric fans. They will let your coolant get to operating temperature befor they kick on making your warmup quicker.

In the mornings, I normally just hop in, start the engine, throw it in reverse and leave the driveway... but for the last few days its been in the 30s-40s in the morning, so I let it warm up for like 5 minutes so *IM* not cold..