Costco Champion winch, any good?

radar

I was in Costco tonight and saw a 9500 lb capacity champion winch, comes with quick release receiver mount, roller fairlead, 100ft cable, mounting plate, all for $400.00. Has anyone used these, seems like a pretty good deal, as well, does a 2" receiver/hitch exist that can be mounted on the front of a 99 path finder?

radar

Edited by radar

We got my dad one from Costco for Xmas. It was a smaller one (i think) mainly for his John Deere garden tractors. I think he has around 9 now... and he says I have too many vehicles! He hasnt used it yet, so I cant tell you if its good or not, so this is pretty much a useless post........

The Champion line of products that I have seen in Costco are made in China. I have not seen the winch but looked there at a Gen-Set and some other stuff. So take what you want from that. Me? I prefer to spend more and get a quality product that I can rely on for many years to come. (I spent 3X as much and bought a Honda Gen-Set).

Edited by keithb7

I've heard mixed reviews as well. Sure you can take it back any time and get a replacement, the question is, do you want to have to take it off in the middle of a muskeg, walk to the nearest costco, get a new one, carry that one back to the truck, and have to reinstall it in the middle of a muskeg?

My money says to save for a better one. Also, how much will you use it? If you're just going to be pulling out your 3500LB Pathfinder once in a blue moon, then this one should be good. If you're planning on multiple pulls every couple of weeks, then you may want to go with something a little beefier, and a little faster. One other thing to keep in mind is that under load, these lower end winches don't pull nearly as fast as a Warn, MileMarker, etc.

I just go wheelin with friends that have cool winches. The irony is I haven't gotten stuck....YET haha. At least that way I can put my 800 bucks towards something else.

A 300 dolla winch doesn't sound like a bad idea though.

Edited by turbopath

3500 my butt. Drive over a truck scale sometime. Mine was 4200 with me in it last I checked, and I weigh 175.

LOL, fully loaded with passengers and gear, I was closer to 5000+lbs IIRC, last I checked... :D

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I know a couple guys who have ran with the winch from Costco, and as far as I know they would reccomend them. They both ran with them for quite a while, with a lot of wheeling & winching under their belts before the winch went. In both cases it was user error that killed the winch. (shock load, and uneven spooling)

Thks for the feedback folks, I am going to buy one tonight, since I am not a frequent off roader, will use this less frequently than most. Sounds like it should suit my needs. Since this winch has a quick release mount for a 2" receiver, it can be easily attached to my rear hitch, I would like to go this way in the front as well, has anyone heard of a front receiver for a 99 pathfinder?

I strongly suggest seriously testing it before you need to trust it. If the build quality and reliability is sub-par, it would be better to discover at home.

I will mention Summit is still selling their private label T-Max winches starting at $390 for a 6500 lb unit, and $450 for a real 9000 lb unit....

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku

Ok, got it home, weighs a ton, everything looks really solid, welds are beefy on the mount, not a winch expert but this thing looks like it could pull a tank out of the mud. The only mount that came with it is the quick release 2" receiver type. Rather than mount this permanently, will see what I can get made that will accom the quick release mount. Waiting to hear back from Marcel, at BPA, not sure if he is building bumpers that will fit the need. Going to be impossible to test until I get this figured out. Thks for the link to summit mws, by the time I paid duty and shipped that to Canada, would likely be 600+, at 400.00 Canadian, this looks like a darn good deal, proof will be in the test I suppose.

Hey, I'm a regular now, cool :takebow:

Edited by radar

3500 my butt. Drive over a truck scale sometime. Mine was 4200 with me in it last I checked, and I weigh 175.

never weighed my pathfinder, or looked up specs, just tossed a number out there. I realize it was on the light side, my bad. :hide:P...

6.6HP@ 172:1 is better.

6.6/3.6 = 1.83333...

294/1.83333... = 160.363. 172 > 160.4, therefore 172 is better.

If the Champion had a 6.6HP motor, and the same pull rates etc, it would have the equivalent of a 160.4:1 reduction ratio.

The T-max has a higher effective gear reduction for more efficient pulling.