2001 SE confusing behaviour

BernieMac

Alright, so I do most of the maintenance on my Pathfinder and would considerable myself to have a fairly decent understanding of how my truck works. But I am puzzled by the behaviour exhibited by the rear limited slip diff on my truck and I am hoping someone can explain the behaviour.

Here is the deal:

If I am driving my truck in 4wd HI or 4wd LO and I turn corners (in forward or reverse) I get "chirping" from my rears tires as if I was driving with a locker. However, this behaviour goes away when the truck is in 2wd or AUTO mode.

What am I missing? I am assuming the locker type behaviour is because of the limited slip, but why only when in 4wd?

Also, my understanding of the limited slip is that it 1) wouldn't normally chirp the tires when turning, and 2) it functions all the time (whether in 2wd or 4wd).

Am I missing something here? Any explanations?

Thanks guys and gals....

Chirping? On gravel or mud or snow or sand? :shrug:

If it is on pavement, it is because the front and rear axles are tied together in 4wd high or low. No diff action in the transfer case.

You should not run any vehicle in 4wd high or low on dry pavement, it will destroy your transfer case.

Look at the 4th bullet in the right hand column:

AllModeWarning2.jpg

Chirping? On gravel or mud or snow or sand?

1) I don't driving around in 4wd on pavement...

2) It chirps on the pavement, the tires do not chirp in the snow ;)

Given your response I think what I am confused about is the function of the transfer case on my Pathfinder. I was under the (mistaken) impression that because the transfer case had AUTO mode, which (which when engaged) I thought functioned just like a car with full-time 4wd, that if I switched into 4wd drive that the vehicle would still allow for different rpm on the front and rear axles.

So, on my 2001 SE when I switch to 4wd with that silly knob I am actually in honest-to-goodness part-time 4wd mode? Just like in a normal 4x4 with an actual shifter for the transfer case?

That would obviously explain the chirping on pavement...

it is MY understanding, that when in 4wd lo or hi, front and rear axels should be rotating at the same rate, as was said above, they're "locked" together by the t-case. i don't think you should have any chirping in auto mode though...but you will feel more "tension" in the transmission/t-case.

Yes, the only real difference between the AllMode and "normal" transfer cases is that AllMode adds the AUTO setting, which is a type of AWD. In 4wd High or Low, it is the same as any other true 4wd system, equal power to both axles, no diff action. That is what I like about the AllMode, the best of all words (2wd, AWD and 4wd). :D

Well I feel a bit stupid for not realizing that... Oh well, so much better then! Yay for a real 4wd truck!

Just incase anyone is wondering. I did not buy my Pathfinder because it was a 4x4, I bought it because it could tow my boat, pull my boat out lakes without launch ramps, haul groceries, and my wife liked it (that and it had 240HP).

Only after getting the Pathfinder did I start to become interested in driving a truck on the local trails.

Somebody tell me, if this truck is a real 4x4, then why is there so little aftermarket for it?

it is indeed a true 4x4, there are quite a few aftermarket products for it, just gotta ask these folks where to look, they have some pretty good sources. definitely not as many aftermarket parts as your american 4x4 counterparts, or toyota...but the supply definitely suffices. unless of course you're looking for a SAS =P

I am not quite sure I feel as positive about the aftermarket for our trucks. There are currently 2 lifts available (yes, I know the 4.5" is coming, and I am going to buy it), but (that I know of) there is 1 lift available for the Honda CRV, 2 available for the Toyota RAV4, and 1 for the Kia Sportage. And don't even get me started about the lack of bumpers...

Do you see what company we are keeping in the aftermarket? lol

* I will stop ranting now, I just want Tyler (Mr. Prado Lifts) to hurry up.... :aok: