Rancho RSX Shocks

OE812

I am purchasing the Rancho RSX rear shocks for my 99 Pathfinder 2wd and need to know if I should also consider changing the coils. The previous owner pulled a small fishing boat with the pathy and I am noticing alot of bottoming out on road dips and bumps.

Should I change the OEM springs and shocks or just the shocks?

Thanks,

Jeff

The rsx are struts, the rs 5000 and rs9000 are the shocks for the rear. The oem coils do seem to degrade and sag reletavly early on r50s compared to other vehicles, so you may have bad coils. The shocks are probably bad too. It isnt that hard to install coils so you may just want to get the rs9000 shocks because they have 9 adjustment settings and see if you can get a comfertable ride without bottoming out or having to get new coils. If you decide you need new coils you can always go back and get them. All you have to do to install them is jack your truck up as high as you can form the rear diff and put jack stands under the frame. Disconnect the 2 bolts on each side that connect the sway bar and disconnect the 1 nut on each side that mounts the shock to the axle. Lower the rear axle to the ground. You may need to take off the rear wheels to get it to the ground closer depending how much you jacked it up and how tall your jack stands are. Pull out the old coils and put in new coils. Jack the rear diff back up enough so you can reconnect everything and jack it up further so you can take it off the stands. Lower it down and your done.

The reason I wrote out the process was so you see that it isnt hard and to show you that its not like your doing the same process over just to go back later and add coils if you decide you need them too.

Changing the shocks only require the removal of 2 nuts and the shock, the installation on the new shock and the 2 nuts. It dont need to be jacked up. I can do it in like 5 minutes and the longest part is getting the tools and putting them back up. Changing the rear coils will take about 1/2hour regardless if you change shock or not.

Long story short, just get shocks for now and I do suggest the 9000s! I love them!

If your springs are toast, they are probably sagging too. If you like that look but dont care for the ride, you might check out 4x4parts.com They sell 2" lowering springs that you can buy for the rear and make it sit level (r50s sit 2" lower in the front than the back stock) and they probably have a higher spring rate so bottoming out wont be as big of an issue although I havent heard of anyone comment on the ride that they got with them.

Actually, there are two types of RS9000. There's the plain RS9000, and then there's the RS9000x. The RS9000x is a 9-way adjustable shock. The plain RS5000 and 9000 are not adjustable.

I had the RS9000x installed and they were great for about 50,000 miles. After 50k or so they started to degrade very quickly, and the adjustment became stuck on a very soft setting. While they were properly operational, I really liked them.

The only reason I did not buy them again is I wanted a longer shock for more articulation.

If your OEM coils have more than 50,000 miles, especially since the truck was used to tow, and probably carry some substantial loads, they are very likely fatigued. Fatigued coils will not perform nearly as well as new coils. If you carry a lot of heavy loads, or do any towing, I suggest getting the Old Man Emu medium duty rear coils. They'll be a stronger coil than the OEM and will be able to support weight much better. They're also less prone to pre-mature fatigue.

Thanks for the first hand experiences. I will change the shocks at the rear and see if the bottoming dissipates. BTW, the Rancho stock number of the rear shocks is RSX17122. It is not adjustable according to the literature at Amazon.com.

Jeff

Don't trust the literature at Amazon.com for any sort of techical anything. Those are advertisements put up by private parties, who in all likelihood don't know what the hell they're talking about. The RS9000X is a 9-way adjustable shock. The X is very important, as that is the adjustability designation. Without the X it is not adjustable, and provides for a very harsh ride.

If you order them from AC, you'll get the right ones.

Rancho offers shocks and struts in the RSX line.

The RSX is for folks who prefer a nicer ride. It has velocity sensitive damping so it is not as harsh over small bumps.

IMO, they are the best shock Rancho offers - and the only one using semi-modern velocity sensitive damping technology. I despise 5000's as they are way too harsh for normal use. 9000's are great on vehicles with widely fluctuating loads (I use them on my tow van), but are also a primitive technology shock.

The now-discontinued RS9000's are 5-way adjustable. The new RS-9000X's are 9-way adjustable, but I think have the same range as the older 5-way:

RS9000 positions{1 2 3 4 5} = RS900X positions{1 3 5 7 9}

Oh I now get what your saying, rs####x -####= rsx

I had 1 get stuck with real low milage and sent it back and got a new one. It almost seems like my other one is doing it now. If i get the onboard controller, would this fix the problem (dean, dan)? Does this come with the compressor or can i use mine?

I thought the remote controller was just a module that clamped over the existing knob and turned it? In other words, no, adding that would not reduce the chances of the adjustor seizing.

Honestly, although I have a set, I am NOT a big fan of Rancho.

oh, i didnt realize it pumped into the control box istelf! I got a nice interior still and wouldnt want to f that up! I really thing that it was just mud well dirt after the mud dried that made my 2nd knob turn hard. I can replace them after 50k if i have to.

The remote control module for the RS9000X shocks uses an air compressor to adjust the position of the valve that is normally controlled by the knob. At no time does oil ever leave the shock body, so there's no oil in the air lines. A friend of mine has the remote module, but he hardly ever adjusts the shocks on the fly. I've been totally unphased by having to adjust my shocks manually, since I only do so when I'm stopped.

• 7 months later...

I have a set of RSX17000s. Had them on for about 500 miles. My opinion is that they are absolute garbage. Less dampening and more bottoming out than the old stock ones. I have KYB rears now. If anyone wants the RSXs, i'll give them away for the price of shipping.

Edited by Acey

• 1 month later...