poor gas milage

csutke

I have recently bought a 98 XE with a K&N FIPK on it. To my suprise i am getting around 12 to 14 mpg. Is this normal of is there any thing that you can think of that i can do to improve my mpg. I cleaned the filter about 3 weeks ago and am in the process of changing the fuel filter (please help me with this as i fought with it for about 30 min before giving up). Also i have a very bad exhaust leak at the the flex pipe on the passenger side is this normal and what is the easiest way to fix this.

to change the fuel filter you have to depressurise the system.. on the earlier models that means pulling the fuse for the pump and letting the truck "run out" of gas.. after that, it should be no sweat.

also check your MAF and all the above.. also search the forums as this exact topic has been beat to death.

What is SEA foam and what will it do? I have tought about using a fuel syatem cleaner but im not sure which what one is the best. Ive heard BG is the best but then ive heard that its not that great. Also im thinking about changing my spark plugs and wires. Are NGK plugs gonna do much for me, or is there a better brand?

I ran a whole can of sea foam through my enginge and one in the gas tank. Before I did it I had a tick when starting the engine cold and have not had it since. It also restored lost power. Not a ton but has a little more kick. I would recomend it to anyone who wants to clean there engine.

Edited by Entropy98

yes. Make sure to change your plugs and oil after running seafoam, and be careful because VG33's already run hot as it is. Sea foam will make it run a lot hotter (temporary) and will foul your plugs.