4wd light stays on

archer

Hi guy and gals

I am new to this forum and I did use the search option without any luck. I have a 2000 Pathfinder SE with everything stock. Lately I find that when I take it out of 4H into 2H the 4wd light in the dash does not go out right away but does seem to go out after some time. But the last time I did it it never went out. I was hoping you guys would know what is causing this. It does go in to 4wd perfectly.

Thank you

Archer

Sometimes it doesn't kick out right away. If there's slack in the drivetrain, it won't kick out at all.

If mine doesn't kick out right away, I put it in reverse, and let it roll back a few feet. That'll relieve the slack in the drivetrain and allow it to kick out of 4WD.

got bow?

:blink: what is bow?

Tires are all the same size. I don't think reversing is going to do it as I have been driving it with the 4wd light on and it is in 2hi for 3 days.

Read the link but most of it deals with going in 4wd.

The problem has gotten worse. before it would come out after a little driving but now it has been on for days. It is not in 4wd. Could it be the hubs not disenguaging? Where are the auto locking hubs located?

Thank you

Don

Bow as in Bow and Arrow, as in Archery....it's a play on your screen name....

Actually, if the 4WD Indicator light is on, it's one of two things. It's in 4WD, or the 4WD position switch is stuck closed.

There are no hubs to disengage on the R50s. They have full-time drive flanges that are always "engaged" so to speak.

Check your tire pressures, a difference as little as 3psi can cause binding in the drivetrain that will prevent the t-case from disengaging 4WD.

ok I know it is out of 4wd but the light is still on. So where is the switch located for the light? I will check the tire pressure but I am sure it is comming out.

sorry didnt catch the pun. I have never used a bow and arrow, it was just a word i seen on a radio shack product one time when I was trying to think up a screen name and have been using it ever since.

Thank you

Archer

Edited by archer

ok I know it is out of 4wd but the light is still on. So where is the switch located for the light? I will check the tire pressure but I am sure it is comming out.

Are you sure it is out of 4WD? Just because the T-case selector is in the 2-hi position, does NOT mean that the T-case has released into 2WD. Is your steering heavy on pavement? When you're parking, and you have the steering wheel at full-lock, does the truck seem to bind up at all?

I'm not 100% positive on the position of the switch, but I can look it up when I get home this evening.

I just looked in the FSM, and the 4WD Switch seems to be located on the rear half of the t-case case by the output of it. I think its the passengers side of the vehicle.

I'll post a capture of the Position Switch check procedure once I get it uploaded here in a minute.

I will go out and make sure it is really out but I am 99% positive it is out. I figured it was either the switch or the hubs sticking but seeing and there are no auto locking hubs I guess I am left with the switch. Thanks vengeful!

mzxtreme as I said in my prevous post I have been driving it for 3 days.

Before when it happened it seemed like when it was parked over night, the next day when I got in the drive it the light would be off. When it first happened I tried the reverse trick but it never worked.

Archer

Tire pressure/size was such a common cause of this problem that Nissan released a TSB for it. (NTB98-010)

Yup. First thing to check Archer, is your tire pressures. Make sure they're all even-steven. If they are, then you can go from there.

OK I checked it out and it is going in and out of 4WD perfectly, so I will check out the switch next when I get a chance. I don't feel so bad now that I know it is not something that is going to cause major problems.

I don't like the fact that my pathfinder doesn't have any locking hubs tho as I think this will cause it to be harder on gas and more wear on things than it needs to be. I was looking at the warn locking hubs I seen in some posts on here and was wondering if anyone with them noticed any increase in gas mileage?

Much thanks to everyone! :beer:

Archer

Not trying to post jack but im wondering why everyone looks into warn instead of milemarker? They are also a good company, cheeper, and ac claims to be using them on all their company vehicles. But then again they are local to each other. If I were to get hubs, i think i would get mile marker for the reasons i listed above unless i can get warning on them.

Well, they're a lot weaker than the Warns, for one. I've seen more MileMarker hubs catastrophically fail than any other brand. I've got a picture of a set that broke on a 4-Cylinder Jeep with open diffs, but I can't seem to find it. I'll post it when I do.

• 2 years later...

So of late I am having the same issues however mine is stuck in 4wd and it seems to disengage only when I turn drastically (light make a right hand turn) or stop, put it in reverse, and put it back in drive. I checked my tire pressure and they all read the same. Any other thoughts as to why it won't disengage?

A lot of the time I need 4wd is on snow patchy roads and canyons where for 5 minutes you are on snow covered floor going 25-35 and the next you are on open highway doing 55. So obviously this becomes annoying if I have to pull over all the time.

Thanks,

-Kevin

mine does the same thing. if i have the option to stop, then i'll do that and make sure it comes out of 4wd first. otherwise, i just leave the lever in 2wd and wait for it to pop out of gear. sometimes it does it at 20mph, sometimes at 60mph. the other option is to just continue on the highway in 4wd. as long as you have the same size tires front and rear, it shouldn't be a problem.