Alarm keeps going off

sigtauenus

98 Pathfinder, AT, 4x4. factory alarm.

The alarms keeps going off intermittently without provocation. When it does go off, it doesn't stop. Sometimes it will go for hours, one time when I was out of town it went all night, really made the neighbors pretty mad.

What can I do to fix this? We have been leaving a door unlocked as a temporary fix, but then last night the alarm went off even with it unlocked.

I've never heard of a faulty alarm like this, any ideas?

TIA,

Sam

• 9 months later...

My alarm is going off like crazy. I remember when my 240SX kept going on it was the battery, I think. So today I went and bought my truck an Optima Yellow Top! :) [ I had to] But it still going off.

I'm in class and there was an annoucement for the owner of a white "jeep" [errrrrr] to please disable the alarm. So I ran out and disconnected the battery. Whats going on?

What the hood pin switch? Is that the button that lets the truck know the hood is shut, just like each door has one? If it is, I guess it is bad. I held it down for about a minute and it still alarmed.

A couple of weeks ago I installed some speakers and couldnt get the power window plug out so I just disambled the piece. It was a PITA to put back together. Every now and then when the window doesn't work, I have to tap on the door and the little balls fall into place and it will work again. You think that's causing the alarm?

Well, its my weekend and I finally noticed this issue.

So, in the meantime, how can I fix this "hood pin switch"? Does it have to be replaced? I really wouldn't like to pull the fuse from the alarm, but since its been happening I've been disconnecting my battery at school/work. At home I just leave one door unlocked. So I guess I am still "pulling the fuse".

Edited by 90seven

• 2 weeks later...

how do ya know if a factory alarm works? mine there is a red light that flashes (lower left of steering wheel below the cruise control switch)after the doors are locked is it suposed to be lights and horns going off after i lock it or is it silent?

• 4 years later...

Ok, I just came back from a weekend away from home, and my neighbor informs me that my '99.5 Pathfinder's alarm has been going off randomly all weekend. In fact, it did just that this morning and I ran out to turn the alarm off.

When I get home I'll check the hood and door switches. The hood has had some body work done a few months ago but I can't imagine it would have just now started to cause problems.

Anyone have any new suggestions?

Edited by dkpath96

• 4 months later...

I have a 97 Pathy and I may have the same issue. Rob where can I get the part to replace the gate pin? I've noticed that my door open indicator will intermittantly flahs while driving, so I can only think that's the reason why my alarm randomly goes off.