Rear hatch

navygz19

Is it just my Pathy, or do all R50's automatically lock all the doors when the key is used to open the rear hatch window? What the hell's the point of that? I know Q's had a hatch release switch on the left of the dash, but is this a design flaw in R50's or something? :shrug: :confused:

It's not a big deal, I just wish the enginerds at Nissan made a button on the outside of the trunk like there is on every other rear opening window bearing SUV on the market to open just the glass.

I also wish there was a locking function of the hatch so it doesn't flap around when driving with it open.

Edited by navygz19

yeah, when I open the glass it locks all the doors on me.

great way to lock my keys in there I say!

I know your a woman, uh and from Canada and all, but how do you manage to lock your keys in the truck if your using them?

Just poking fun at you.

That is what I was gonna ask 4x4.

My 01 does the same. I rarely open the glass though. I just always open the gate. Maybe it is because my 96 Grand Cherokee (Pathy predecessor) didnt have an opening rear window...

This is a bit off topic, but why didnt those engi-nerds put a key lock on the passenger side door. I get so annoyed when I dont have my fob to unlock and want into the passenger side. I usually just use the key lock on the rear gate to unlock all the doors (which opens the hatch).

I know your a woman, uh and from Canada and all, but how do you manage to lock your keys in the truck if your using them?

Just poking fun at you.

heh.

Actually, I've never done it... I rarely use the glass hatch myself... but the few times I have and then gone to open another door & find it locked, I've done the *phew* glad I didnt put my keys down while I was in there dance. I could see doing that for example, camping, you open the glass to get a drink from the cooler, put your keys down while you fish about for ice... finish making drink, close hatch... umm... where's my keys??

(Typically, I dont keep the keys in the lock, so, LMFAO, I dont scratch the paint.) :rolleyes:

Whenever I open the rear glass, I always turn the key all the way back to re-unlock the hatch, although on my truck, I'm pretty sure that the other door locks aren't affected by the rear lock cylinder anyway.

The QX4 has a hatch-glass release button.

It would be very easy to put one on a Pathfinder. Just replace the whole hatch latch mechanism with the one from the QX4 as the actuator is in the latch itself. You'll also need to have a way to energize the actuator, so a Momentary Push-button switch mounted up front, or wherever you want to have it openable from, and....that's it.

I have the factory wiring diagram somewhere.

The actuator grounds through the hatch, so you only have to run one wire from either a switched 12V source or the battery (with a 15A fuse of course) into a momentary switch wherever you want it, and then to the actuator in the hatch.

Though, this will only release it, it won't shoot open unless you get some kind of pneumatic or electronic actuator to replace the struts and push it open closed. That would be much cooler! It wouldn't be all that hard to implement, but it would be much more expensive!

No kidding. Actually, this process sounds pretty easy...now just need to find a Q actuator laying around :confused: Isn't it possible to get arms that lock so as to keep the gate steadily open when driving?

i bought a trunk release solenoid, tore off the back panel on the inside of the door and attached the little metal string-wire to the hatch release on the inside of the door, I gorunded it and ran a 12g wire to the dash and installed the trunk release button, so i can open the rear window with a button, I then wired that button to my remote starter as an AUX so now I can open my rear window with the AUX button on my remote!!! GO ME!!