painting trim panels.

iLLlegal

hello all! well the leaves have started to fall here...yay... and I feel I wanna make some changes to the pathfinder before it gets all not so nice outside. one of the things I want to do is paint some of my trip panels and well I want to make sure I get the process right. what sort of things do I have to prep for the painting of plastic peices? step by step would be reallly nice as I want it to look good (not like the insides of my friends cars) so ya how do i do et? thanks in advance. :takebow:

Be sure to prep everything really well, especially if you've used ArmorAll on it regurlarly. Krylon and Dupli-color make plastic paint that works pretty well, but it will rub off on high wear surfaces like armrests after a year or so. For prep, just follow the directions on the can and maybe get some adhesion promoter while you're there. I've done my console and dash cap and they look fine. After a year of use the armrest needs another shot of black gloss, though.

Ewww...don't.

Unless you're going to blacken the already black plastic, like a high-gloss. I'd think it would be okay if it were perfect.

My idiot friend painted some plastics in his 2001 GMC Sierra Z71 and now they are peeling and wearing off. Plus it looks like @!*% and he really regrets it.

hmm im going to be looking into this soon as well...the 95 in 87 swap means the grey dash doesnt really match the blue panels...so im thinking of possibly leaving the bottom of all my panels blue and making the lighter shade a grey to match the dash..but i will prob photo shop to see if it will look worth a damn 1st them go for it..

take good notes and let us know how it works what u did/used and if it was a PITA to deal with...i've heard stories and seen 1st hand painting plastic with something other than a for plastic paint...it started melting and it wasnt good

Just redid EVERYTHING in the pathy so this is a topic I can helpout on a lot

1. Take out of car (duh)

2. Wash everything really well with soap and water

3. Rinse off and air dry

4. Scuff all plastic Surfaces with scotch brite or light sandpaper so paint has something to stick to

5. Rinse off with water again

6. Soak Lint-free washcloth in alcohol (not vodka tho -alcohol- ) and give everything a good bath

7. make sure you buy Either Krylon's Fusion, Or Rustoleum's Plasti-kote for all your plastic parts, but you'll want a vinyl & fabric paint for your armrests, or other high-contact areas, will last longer

8. Spray away, allowing at least an hour between coats

9. About 3 or four coats should do the job

10. finish it off with a coat or two of semigloss, clear coat, just to ensure protection

This way might seem time consuming and a PITA, but getting in a huryy with this stuff will guarantee is doesn't look like shiite

Thats my $0.02

El P :aok: