Wire mesh in air intake

parthy

Hi all I pulled the air cleaner box off this morning to give it a clean out and found wire mesh fitted to the out let of the air box . :confused:

Can any one tell me what it does apart from restriced the amount of air that the motor can get . :wacko:

From the size of the mesh it seems to me it would be like getting around with the choke half on ( for thoes of us that can rember what a choke is ) :lol:

I thought it might be to stop rubbish getting in but if that was the case whats the air cleaner element doing . :unsure:

So to cut a long story short , I PULLED IT OUT it may be me butt i beleave the thing is giong alot better the crunch will be when i do a fuel test on it :hide:

I think he is saying that it was in the bottome of the air box. I have a possible reason why this is and it sounds like really wierd. wanna hear????

I have a buddy that works at a service station and he told me i wouldnt believe how many people come in with dogfood and cat food and other kinds of food in their air box.

Now im sure your probably thinking the same thing i was.... HOW THE HELL DOES DOG FOOD GET IN THERE?!?!?!?!?

Mice and rats.

Maybe the previous owner had a mouse problem, and tried to keep it from chewing on his filter. Yea crazy!

Well it does not sound too crazy 4x4le I believe it. I know when I lived back home my buddies mom had three cats. they would crawl into the engine for the warmth during the colder nights ( why they were not already in the house is beyond me) anyway two of those cats got grinded up when my buddies mom started her car. sad story i know. I am not saying this is why the mesh is there I am just throwing a story out there. :hide:

Hi guys have been away .

Yes I am talking about the part just on the air box side of the MAF it is about one inch or so from the MAF I have put it back in for the moment till i check it out some more . -study- :unsure:

Don't dare think that you're smarter than Nissan engineers by removing it. sssh

if the engineers are so smart how come every one has to change the springs , shocks ,exuast manifolds , air cleaners , ECT :laugh:

But man it did go like a hairy goat :aok:

Your air filter is much more restrictive than the maf screen, which as someone already pointed out is used to generate a more uniform flow of air across the MAF element. This has been exhaustively discussed on many other forums, and the concensus seems to be that the results can be either good or bad performance wise, but that it will definitely create more error in your air flow reading. The error will increase performance in the instance where the engine is running a bit rich in it's stock state of tune and the error shows less airflow than actual. This will lean your mixture for a more powerful burn. But what happens if the maf error reads more air flow than actual, and the mixture is already rich? That will certainly reduce performance and can even lead to plug fouling. Or what about if your stock tune is on the edge of stoick, and the maf error shows less than actual airflow? Detonation or pre-ignition can result. For me I'd rather have a more consistant fuel reading, and concentrate on other, more proven mods.

Your air filter is much more restrictive than the maf screen [uN QUOTE]

:crazy: I dont beleve that -argue-

What is not too believe? The screen is less restrictive as in bigger holes. Unless you are running chicken wire as your filter. :crazy: I say do what you want with it. but keep in mind if something does get through (believe me it has happened) and hits your maf sensor (The two itty bitty wires) and breaks either one your going to regret taking out the screen as your Maf if not cheap. And it is not like your are going to get that much more air flow anyway.