ATP Light, T-case Neutral

vengeful

I noticed something strange on Saturday. I had been looking at my 4WD Operations Card that is stuck in the visor, and noticed something on it that I could swear my truck has never done. It says that when the Transfer-Case is in the Neutral the ATP light is supposed to illuminate.

I discovered last night that I actually do HAVE an ATP light when I shifted my T-case into neutral and attempted to position the transmission in Park. (I KNOW I KNOW! Muchos Badness!) But it wouldn't go and just illuminated the light. No harm, no foul.

But, that got me thinking. I can't recall a single occurence of the ATP light illuminating when the T-case was in Neutral, no matter what position the tranny was in.

Alex said it works in his 96. Carri said she didn't think it did it in her 99.5. That got me thinking....maybe Nissan changed something for the 99+??

So, we'll take a running tally here...list your year, and whether the ATP light comes on when you shift the t-case into neutral. Automatic trannys only. M/T trucks don't have an ATP light.

The ATP light doesn't come on in my 97 unless the ignition is on, the T-case is first shifted into "N", then the transmission is shifted into "P". It doesn't come on if the tranny is in "N".

Edited by XPLORx4

Yeah, that's what happens on mine, too.

It's wierd because the verbage on the card Nissan gives you makes it seem like the light would come on any time the T-case was in Neutral.

Yeah, but ATP means "Automatic Transmission Park".

The ATP function described on page 133 of my owner's manual is shown below:

HI guys,

Thought I would give this a go in my 96. Transfer case in Neutral and transmission in Neutral no light.

When I put the transmission into park the light came on and something didnt sound happy. so I quickly put it back into neutral.