Noise from front drivers side wheel well

merlinx

Hi all, I have a 97 Pathy. The SE 4x4. I have noticed that there is a noise coming from the drivers side front suspension. Every time I go over bumps it squeeks :shrug: . Its been like that for a while. Its hard to simulate buy pulling up and down on the truck. Any ideas? I sprayed a burch of WD 40 over the coil and nothing. Still the same thing. Anyone have this experience before?

Thanks in advance. :help:

Jason

Edited by merlinx

sway bar links i would guess.. check the joints.

which joints? The sway bars, is that the bar that rins across the axle? I know there is one in the back but I havent seen one in the front. ITs indpendent suspension.

my shocks used to squeek when i got ranchos. They sqeaked at the bushings. I used to spray them and it would quit for a day or two and then i used washers and disk brake stop squeal. Not sure what did the trick, but it stoped.

my shocks used to squeek when i got ranchos. They sqeaked at the bushings. I used to spray them and it would quit for a day or two and then i used washers and disk brake stop squeal. Not sure what did the trick, but it stoped.

Bushings? Are you talking about where the shocks connect to the frame and the A arm?

Bushings? Are you talking about where the shocks connect to the frame and the A arm?

No. That doesn't happen on our trucks.

Our front suspension is a McPherson Strut style. There is no "frame," per se, as it is a Unibody. However, there is a full-box-steel structural member integrated into the body (which is closely based off the WD21 frame, but you never heard me say that...)

The squeaking is most likely your control arm bushings or the strut bearings. :aok:

No. That doesn't happen on our trucks.

Our front suspension is a McPherson Strut style. There is no "frame," per se, as it is a Unibody. However, there is a full-box-steel structural member integrated into the body (which is closely based off the WD21 frame, but you never heard me say that...)

The squeaking is most likely your control arm bushings or the strut bearings. :aok:

Thanks, I just looked underneath and found a broken axle boot. Are those hard to replace?

The squeeking was there before though I know that for sure.

Where is or which is the " control arm bushings" and "the strut bearings" ?

Thanks, I just looked underneath and found a broken axle boot. Are those hard to replace?

No. Go pick up your new part at your local auto parts store first. Sometimes they're special-order and take a few days to ship. You don't want to have you truck disassembled and find out nobody has the part in stock.

You'll need to remove the tire, then remove the snap-ring on the outer hub:

05removesnapring.jpg

Then, unbolt the 6 bolts holding the CV axle to the differential:

frontleft_innercvjoint.jpg

Finally, support the hub/knuckle with a floor jack, and unbolt the 2 bolts holding the strut to the knuckle:

jks_before.jpg

Remove the clips/brackets holding the brake line and ABS wire to the strut, so they don't pull off when you lower the hub. Now, lower the entire front hub/brake/knuckle assembly away from the strut and try to wrangle the CV axle out from the REAR of the wheel well. It helps to turn the steering wheel so that the REAR of the wheel well has more space. In other words, if you're working on the driver's side CV, turn the wheel RIGHT.

To provide more clearance to maneuver the CV axle out, you may also need to disconnect the endlinks of the sway bar (on both sides of truck).

Swap out the CV axles, go return the old/bad one to the auto parts store and get your core charge back.

XPLORx4, Thanks for the clear directions. Before I read your post I decided to take it to a local shop. They charged me $180 OTD for an Axle replacement and a wheel alignment with a one year warantee. I didnt know what I would get my self into so I decided to play it safe. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully they can determine where the squeek is coming from