Qx4 versus Pathfinder

cvearl

Back in 2001 when I got my 2001 Pathfinder LE, I had same dilemma.

I remember that the QX4 had FOUR-WHEEL disc brakes, while the pathfinders had front disc/rear drum.

The QX4 also has four-channel ABS, whereas the Pathifnders have three channel (one for each of two front discs and one channel for rear drums together).

The QX4 also has distronic cruise control (first car in Infiniti/Nissan to get this ever that year), which is also known as the "laser" cruise control. It actually slows down the car while in cruise control if the car infront slows down, and when there is nothing infront, it resumes the preset speed.

As for the QX4 owners who state that they have knob AND lever for the transfer case, I belive that is for the ones with VG33DE engines, except the 2000.5 QX4's.

QX4's from 2000.5 to 2004 have the lever-less, ONLY Knob all-mode AWD.

Pathfinders from 2001-present also have the lever-less knob only AWD.

Generally, if you have the VQ35DE with all-mode (regardless of nissan or infiniti), you have the lever-less AWD.

Only the 200.5 QX4 with the VG33DE engine has the newer knob-only system.

Other than that, it's mostly cosmetic:

QX4 has:

Electroluminescent gauge cluster

Xenon low beams

Electric (button on QX4 vs. lever on pathfinder) fuel door release

hatch release button on driver side door.

RDS on radio (unless you have 2002+ pathfinder)

higher-grade leather (than the Pathfinder LE leather)

17" Alloys (versus 16" on 01 LE, but 02+ pathfinder LE's have 17").

I think that's about it.

Good summary.

Only clarification is that (in Canada anyway) the AllMode AWD was an option on the lower trim levels of the Pathy and had to be in combination with the separately available optional automatic transmission. For example on my 02 Pathfinder, to get the AllMode was apparently an extra $1,200 (cdn) for both options.

AllMode and the 5 speed manual was not an available combination.

That is one informative newbie. Glad to have you on here. :P

One question...are you sure about the 01+ QX4s having rear discs? I'll have to do some research on my own.

Yup, good info.

In Canada the QX4 (2001-2003) had disc/drum brakes, no 4 wheel disc :( (or we might all be doing rear axle swaps :P )

• 3 weeks later...
Has anybody put the HIDs from the Q into a Pathy? I saw a black Q this morning on the way to work and began to think. I have HIDs in my M3 and I really like them.

I don't think the housing for the Q lights and Pathy's are the same size.

E ither way, it's probably a lot more work than it's worth...HID's have a TON of associated hardware.

You could probably bpick up a pair of aftermarket's for a cheaper price than a stealership would charge you for Nissan HID's!

Has anybody put the HIDs from the Q into a Pathy? I saw a black Q this morning on the way to work and began to think. I have HIDs in my M3 and I really like them.

i believe that the Q HID's are a little taller than the halogen housings

• 4 years later...

Well, I had a dream to make a rig and all, but I decided to go with my qx4 instead of an LE. One reason, it just looks sexier to me. I like the body kit, and the front grill looks better to me, but I still love the rugged looks of the pathy's, and will probably get another one later on! I just got a good deal on this qx4, better than I saw pathfinders goin for, and I couldn't pass it up. I was almost shaking how nervous I was when I checked this thing over and couldn't find anything wrong with it. He let me take it to a shop I knew, which was 70 miles away, and back, after going through everything on this car with my buddy. We CARFAX'd it, and nothing wrong. I was about to say what the hell, till we found one thing where the rear quarter was barely damaged and repainted....OOOOHHHH....but yea, that is why I got mine. I still look at all your lifted rigs, and love the rugged look of the pathy's. That being said, I have yet to find anything in the drivetrain that is different. Purely cosmetic, you can actually get the LE's with all the same options, so it is all your preference. Wow that was long!

• 4 weeks later...