Better MPG's for Pathfinder

RWC5S2

Just a general note for anyone that is interested. I was going to buy a K&N, or similar, cold air intake system but the guy at the 4x4 store told me about the Toronado unit. I had seen them and figured they were basic over priced junk. Well, I bought one of them off EBAY based on the recommendation and, honest to God, I got 3mpg better mileage on the road. I just got back from Vegas and my mileage jumped from 17 on the road to just over 20mpg. My in town mileage went from 13-14 to a tad over 16mpg. They are on Ebay for around $48.00 or so and at the current $3.00 plus a gallon rate it will not take much to recover the cost. I am going to put one on the wife's 4x4 Surburban. It needs all the help it can get.

Good Lord, did you really fall for that scam? Those do NOT work. Anything you put into your intake tract that restricts airflow will only hurt your cause. I'd wait a while and make sure your mileage stays the same. 3MPG can be a total fluke depending on how you drive, the outside air temp, the quality of the fuel you bought last, all those things.

These things have been proven to NOT work so many times it's ridiculous. Dyno testing is the only way to prove any increase in power or torque, so don't depend on the seat-of-your-pants accelerometer to give you your numbers.

Well....Welcome to NPORA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And that "Tornado" do-hickey..yeah it is a bunch of crap. Seen it on a segment with teh local news "Fame or Shame" and it got a whopping SHAME. In one minivan it hurt the MPG's.They tested some other products and come to the conclusion that the best way to save gas and get better mpg's is to lighten up your foot. go figure. :nono:

I am not selling the stupid things and do not care if any one buys them. I thought it was junk also but my mileage did get better. I have no idea why other than the stupid little device. The salesman at the 4x4 store lost a $250.00 sale by telling me about it. My apologies for upsetting you all.

I am not selling the stupid things and do not care if any one buys them. I thought it was junk also but my mileage did get better. I have no idea why other than the stupid little device. The salesman at the 4x4 store lost a $250.00 sale by telling me about it. My apologies for upsetting you all.

-bounce- -bounce-

I'd hate for that propellor type thingy to come loose and get sucked sucked sucked away into the depths of my intake manifold :hide:

There was no need to start a new topic to say that. Please continue to keep the same topic of discussion within one topic. Thanks.

Sorry for the new topic entry. I am new and had problems trying to respond. System kept telling me there was an error and kept erasing my response.

Any way, my apologies to all for mentioning the stupid thing in the first place. Guess I am better off just getting mt Pathfinder dirty in the desert. That is way more fun.

getting mt Pathfinder dirty in the desert. That is way more fun.

:aok: There's the spirit! :aok::lol:

We can all relate to your plight of poor gas mileage. I realized a 2mpg increase simply by reducing my freeway speeds from 65-70mph to 55-60 mph.

I also realized another 2-3mpg increase by removing the sail from my roof (aka, big heavy, draggy, wind catching, speed robbing, power eating roof rack).

Before, I was seeing approximately 14mpg across the board, no matter what speed I drove as long as I kept it under 75mph. Now I'm experiencing about 19mpg at speeds between 55-60mph. The truck coasts much better (not as much wind resistance), holds speed better, uses less gas, accelerates faster and handles better. I just gotta get used to the silly naked look. :lol:

The best, and only proven ways to increase (or at least to not hinder) your fuel economy is to keep your tires properly inflated, keep the fluids in good shape, keep your vehicle in good mechanical condition, and to have a light foot. Don't stomp on the gas at red lights, drive slower, draft off of big-rigs. I once got 24mpg on a trip from NJ to VA doing that the whole way. Installing Manual hubs and replacing the grease in your wheel bearings with synthetic helps a bit, too. :aok:

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced my spark plugs with the Bosch Platinum +4's, changed the PCV valve and threw in Castrol High Mileage oil oil and went from the mid 400kms/tank to the mid 500/tank in the city and over 600 on the highway.

This seems to be pretty good for these vehicles. Before doing this I was only getting 12.94 mpg and now am getting 17.65 mpg.

Just some thoughts on improving mpg's for these guys.

Keep them tuned!