After Market Air Filters

RWC5S2

I recently bought a 2003 Pathfinder and have since done a 3" lift, new shocks, struts, tires etc. I have been considering a new air filter system such as K&N or similar. Will this improve the performance, gas mileage or any thing? And, which brand seems to be better? So many choices and so little info. It's tough being an old fart. Bob

i bought a k and n for 50 bucks and it was no different than the $5 dura last one cone filters or cold air intakes add like 2 hp but give the car a nice throaty sound its all about what you like if you want ill sell you my k and n and a cleaning kit for 30 plus shipping filter was 50 barley used and cleaning kit was 20 used onece b ut research what you like first

If you lifted your truck then I "assume" you are going to take it off-road correct? I just bought a K&N and so far I notice a tad more throttle response and I believe maybe 1 mpg better mileage. I kept my stock airbox so when i finnally get her off-road again I will switch it out with my K&N because apparently the k&n does let more stuff through. So I guess it depends what kind of driving you are going to be doing more of. Right now my rig is a baby-taxi/pavement pounder so I run the K&N around town but hope to be going camping this weekend with some not-so-hardcore wheelin (no skid plate protection or even splash guard at all underneath :( ) but I will swith out the intake to the stock airbox.

P1000343.jpg

=not good with open cone (theyre like a straw)...or really stock airbox...

Getting a "performance" air filter on a pathy wont really help your mpg but you might notice some increased airflow...itll sound different...and because of the sound - youll think its got more power. but it probably doesnt.

Gee max way to put-down the cone filter considering you sold me mine!! just kidding your probably right though. And I avoid water that goes up to the bumper for fear of sucking in water. Atleast until I can get a snorkel..in like 15 years or so at the rate I am going.

yeah and im sitting there with my ass end in the water HAHA steve telling me to go backwards HAHA.

lol@ sig pic. thanks. if i had a cone in that shot (see april totm for original) i for sure woulda hydro'd my motor...again..

I'd guess AC's lift, since I got well over 3" from it too.

You use a custom spacer too. It is marketed as a 2" lift for a reason. Im sure they measured to see how many " difference it actually makes. Hell i got almost 4 out of mine!.....for like a month :(

If he used spacers and stuff to get that extra inch, well that is what im asking. I tired of 1up'ers calling the ac 2" lift a 3" lift, cuz that it is not. Not calling him a 1up'er, just asking what componets he used to get that extra inch.

I guess i should have pmd him cuz now i feel like a thread jacker! Damn me!

Thanks for the various comments regarding the after market filter systems. I figured they would not do all that much and I heard that dusty off road use was kinda hard on the "cone-type" filters. I do a lot of desert running along with the Gorman area that is super dusty. Guess I will stick to the stock unit.