Want to get rid of my BOSE

navygz19

Ok, wait, are your speakers bad? If you are trying to stay on the cheap, just replace the head unit. Go to crutchfield.com and you can purchase a new head unit and it will come free with the new brackets and full instructions to do it yourself. You will need to purchase a harness adapter, which they sell. I installed a panasonic head unit in my brothers 99 QX4 and it was a piece of cake. Now, if you need to replace the speakers, you can always get some speakers and jump passed the amps. I did that on my 91 300zx and it worked perfectly. A new head unit, speakers and amps can get spendy all at once.

In any event, replacing the Bose stereo you will have to rewire the stereo to bypass the Bose amplifiers. At which point, the stock speakers will sound like crap. I highly suggest replacing the speakers with some high-quality 2-ways and a good quality external amp that matches the head unit.

This is the issue I have with that suggestion :sniff:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do it Navy, but I wouldn't personally do it. Granted, "what sounds like crap" to me sounds great to most people. I've got extremely persecuting ears when it comes to what sounds good. My old boss would tell me that I was the biggest Audiophile he'd ever had as an installer. LOL.

I was generally booked 2-3 weeks out for installations, whereas with the other installers you could usually always get it done the same day depending on timing. I just took meticulous care to set the imaging of the speakers properly, set the equalization on the amps and head unit (or equalizer) to perfectly match the type of music the customer listened to, and just overall care when running wires so they would receive as little interference from other circuits in the vehicle as possible. I have yet to meet another installer (outside of the absolute top end places that only work on Ferarris, Bentleys, etc) that do that. I would set up every customers car how I would want it if it were my car....I only ever had one complaint, and that was that the guy didn't like the subs he chose. He said they sounded great in the sound room, but sounded poopy in his truck. The sound room can really only give you a comparison of speakers, not what it will sound like in your vehicle.

I think even the Boston Z-Series sound terrible in the sound room. The imaging is way off, they're not properly adjusted, etc...

You can make almost any set of speakers sound really good, if they're good quality speakers. Rubber surround, neo-dymium magnets, etc are all a must. With proper amplification (too little or too much can blow the speakers), proper imaging, and proper ajustment, any set of well made speakers will sound good. The stock speakers, are a foam surround with a paper cone, and iron magnets.

I just happen to be extremely picky is all...lol

I totally understand, and respect that as well. Nothing wrong with being overly meticulous with something that your obviously passionate about. It's quality, not quantity. I don't think I'm quite on the same level as you with sound quality (hence, you were an installer as a profession and I wasn't) but on a budget, I do want the best quality I can get. Your examples are worth a look into and if you say they're the best I can get for my situation, then I'll take your word for it.

The point of those two quotes I put together was that I was not sure if I could use the Bose amps. w/ an aftermarket deck. I'm led to believe no, there's no compatability. In which case, you said that they would have to be bypassed and in that case (unless I bought one) be un-amp'ed. That, for you, (being the audiphile you are) would lead you to say it would sound like crap. I'm with you 100%. I need an amp, need some decent depth to my speakers (esp. with no sub) I totally understand that.

Thanks for the suggestions dude, I'm going to get to the bookstore when I have a chance and do some reading on the two sources you refered to earlier.

Oh yeah, and call me Gianni :aok:

I've been following this thread and now my curiousity is piqued. So here's a question for ya Venge-

I recently purchased a Mazda6 which has a factory Bose audio system and a rear-deck-mounted 8" subwoofer. Generally, it sounds pretty good to me. I don't know much about the HU/amp/speaker specs in the Mazda, but I do know that when I get back in the Pathy, the Bose system in the Pathy sounds like crap (compared to the Mazda)! And to top it off, my passenger front speaker buzzes. (I think it got wet.)

I don't drive the Pathy often enough to justify spending thousands on an audio system. In fact, there are many times I don't even turn the radio on! (Maybe that's beause it sounds like crap.. ;) ) Honestly, I'd rather spend thousands making my truck more off-road worthy.

Besides, I spent thousands on an audio system in a previous car, and it was stolen, but later recovered with all of the audio stuff ripped out. I vowed never to make a vehicle audio system something worth stealing again...

As far as sound quality goes, I'm content to listen to my XM radio or iPod through the cassette-adapter, but the speaker buzzing is annoying, and the lack of volume and dynamic range sorta sucks. And yes, I'm sure the poorer dynamic range is a function of the cassette adapter...

I don't quite understand what you mean by "each speaker has its own amp". Does that mean that there are audio and +12v power feeds to each speaker? I thought the Bose amp was located behind the left-side cargo panel.

Can I keep the factory deck but just replace the speakers? Can I use the factory speaker wires and power wires? Do I even HAVE to get an amp, or can I just power the speakers with the HU? Are there any decent amps that will fit behind the left-side plastic cargo panel? (The tray beneath the cargo area is where I keep my recovery gear, so that's not an option.) Oh yeah, and no subwoofer for me. I can't sacrifice the cargo space.

If I do have to replace the deck, I'd rather put in a 2DIN that has aux-in (for my XM Roady2 radio), and possibly iPod controls.

What do you recommend for me? Let's figure that I don't want to spend any more than $50 per speaker, $200 for an amp, $500 for a 2DIN deck, and I'd rather not fuss with replacing the factory tweeters if I can help it. I would even consider buying a used amp or deck off e-bay.

Edited by XPLORx4

No XPLORx4 I don't think you can interchange the BOSE/non-BOSE stuff. At least, that's what I too am lead to believe. And IIRC, the front speakers are indiidually amp'ed and the rears are amp'ed from a seperate one (your right, left side cargo panel) Nor do I want to, or can I justify spending "thousands" on a system. I'd put that money into the gas tank first :D To be honest, I wouldn't even be thinking of replacing it if it worked better (the CD player is a complete and utter P.O worthless S. It works about 20% of the time.)

I would expect a lot more in the way of an vehicles audio system (I'm with you, my BOSE, even when a CD DOES work, sounds pretty crummy...believe it or not I would say the Hyundai sounds better!) especially in an SUV that, when totally brand new, retailed for near enough 30K!!!

Edited by navygz19

XPLOR,

I believe the factory Bose system utilizes an individal amp per speaker on the front doors, and a single amp powering the two rear speakers.

Most of the time when new speakers are installed new wires are installed as well.

I have a low-end Pioneer HU, and kept my Bose speakers because I have no money. My situation is not optimal.

And XPLOR, I wouldn't recommend that you keep the factory Bose HU. It's actually a Clarion BTW. Decent HUs aren't more than $200-250 if you shop around on the internet.

If you are wanting a double-DIN HU, I don''t know of any other than low-end CD/Cassette combos, as well as the Pioneer touchscreen nav. systems. I'm sure there are more...I still think your needs would be serviced with an XM-ready and iPod ready HU.

Mess around on ebay looking for the brands mentioned earlier.

this is from the crutchfield website.

"OEM Amplifier Integration v.4

94-up Nissan/Infiniti

Lets you integrate a high-powered aftermarket receiver into select 1994-up Nissans with premium factory systems • compatible with high-power receivers

Because your vehicle is factory-equipped with a special sound system, Crutchfield recommends that you purchase an adapter. This adapter eliminates the need for extensive and time-consuming re-wiring when you install your new receiver. In some cases, not using an adapter will make it necessary to replace the entire factory sound system, including the speakers. "

I was just trying to help with the "cheaper" route. It sounds pretty good to me in my pathfinder. Just trying to help.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

this is from the crutchfield website.

"OEM Amplifier Integration v.4

94-up Nissan/Infiniti

Lets you integrate a high-powered aftermarket receiver into select 1994-up Nissans with premium factory systems • compatible with high-power receivers

Because your vehicle is factory-equipped with a special sound system, Crutchfield recommends that you purchase an adapter. This adapter eliminates the need for extensive and time-consuming re-wiring when you install your new receiver. In some cases, not using an adapter will make it necessary to replace the entire factory sound system, including the speakers. "

I was just trying to help with the "cheaper" route. It sounds pretty good to me in my pathfinder. Just trying to help.

cool...got a link-meister?

I personally installed that in my 95 pathfinder, my borthers 99 QX4, My 91 300zx, and in my buddies 92 Maxima. Its easy to install with the directions they give you. It sounded pretty good to me because the adapters has adjustments. A heck of a lot cheaper than speakers, amps, wiring and time. That is unless you want something totaly custom and supoer loud!

I personally installed that in my 95 pathfinder, my borthers 99 QX4, My 91 300zx, and in my buddies 92 Maxima. Its easy to install with the directions they give you. It sounded pretty good to me because the adapters has adjustments. A heck of a lot cheaper than speakers, amps, wiring and time. That is unless you want something totaly custom and supoer loud!

Not saying that's what I want to do, but it's another option I suppose.

Thanks for the good info!

It sounded pretty good to me because the adapters has adjustments. A heck of a lot cheaper than speakers, amps, wiring and time.

The problem for me is that I have to replace a speaker anyway. The front passenger side buzzes. It sounds like crap. Anyone have an old Bose front speaker they'd like to unload?

I just bought a wiring harness for mine and it worked fine but sounded about the same until i went around the front amps or componet sets. They say amp for them but my dealer told me the amp is in the back and the front things are componet sets and i believe them because when i wired around them, the power that used to go to the front speakers went to the back ones too. And me hu played the front speakers. To me, it sounds like you should at least try out what i did..... I think it sounds great, but im not going to take it to any sound competitions. Even if my truck dont have the most top of the line crap, it sound better than 95% of the cars on the road, no lie. And yours would too if you would do just wire around the front componet sets, get decent aftermarket speakers and a hu. Then if your not happy, be out no more $ than you would other wise, hate me, and buy an amp! :shrug:

Hey everyone,

All I can add to this thread is that I will never buy another Pioneer head unit ever. I spent almost $400.00 for the Head unit in my FJ60 Cruiser. In less than 1yr the radio was dead, no sound to anything. The shop pulled it and had it repaired under warr. Well about 4mo later the same thing happened, now if you pound on the dash you get sound out of one speaker. It has NOTHING to do with the wiring, just a bad radio! I am very angry with Pioneer products.

Zack

Dam I guess us pioneer folk have been out-numbered. Navy. alot of good info has been introduced for you so you have to make the decision. I guess I am just one of the lucky ones who has bought alot of pioneer equipment (car and house audio) and never had one single problem. hell some of the stuff is 10 years old and still sounding brand new. :contract:

Dam I guess us pioneer folk have been out-numbered. Navy. alot of good info has been introduced for you so you have to make the decision. I guess I am just one of the lucky ones who has bought alot of pioneer equipment (car and house audio) and never had one single problem. hell some of the stuff is 10 years old and still sounding brand new. :contract:

Dude don't sweat it. I to have always had Pioneer products w/ absolutely no issues. Matter of fact, I had one on my old Hardbody, then when I sold it and bought the Sentra, I again bought the same exact HU. I'm just interested in doing something lese now, like Eclipse.

Of course, I need funding to do anything at all :D

I'm sick and tiored of my CD Player not working, all I have is radio (and tape, LOL!)

You've gotten extremely lucky then. In my experiences, Pioneer stuff is extremely hit or miss. Sometimes they're great, sometimes they're chit. But Pioneer is never at the forefront of technology, and you can always get something better.

I must say though, I do like the AVIC series...

You could be right Vengeful, maybe I am extremely lucky. At least with all this information now I can research a little better into what I decide to get next. I was thinking of upgrading the stereo system in the pathy later down the road. By upgrade I mean better HU and maybe some better tweets. Can I just hook up some infinity tweeters where the stock ones are now using the same wires? I was going to keep true to the Pioneer HU but maybe not now who knows. Then again why change something that works??

p.s. I got 300 posts yay I feel special... :blink:B);) -thnkboutit-

Hi, i recently got an 02 pathfinder and i'm getting error messages 0 and 3 when i try to eject or load a cd. not all the time, but enough to be annoying.

is there anything out there listing what these error messages are so i don't keep making the thing angry? i'm okay with this bose changer, so long as i can listen to the radio or a cd when i want to (never thought of getting a changer but well it came with the truck).

also, i'm not really wishing to get something else aftermarket because i got some sort of extended warranty on the used vehicle and i don't know what i can replace or if i should take it to a dealer and have the cd changer serviced. the sound quality is fine, i just wish i could load and eject cds reliably.

-heidi

Hi, i recently got an 02 pathfinder and i'm getting error messages 0 and 3 when i try to eject or load a cd. not all the time, but enough to be annoying.

is there anything out there listing what these error messages are so i don't keep making the thing angry? i'm okay with this bose changer, so long as i can listen to the radio or a cd when i want to (never thought of getting a changer but well it came with the truck).

also, i'm not really wishing to get something else aftermarket because i got some sort of extended warranty on the used vehicle and i don't know what i can replace or if i should take it to a dealer and have the cd changer serviced. the sound quality is fine, i just wish i could load and eject cds reliably.

-heidi

Welcome Heidi,

Sorry to give you bad news but the BOSE unit is pretty much garbage and will only get worse.

Check out this for more insight: link

It is a well know problem, so I would suggest you use your warranty but just be prepared for future issues.

I also get errors but just seem to make it work. The radio and tape player work fine, it is just the changer.

-heidi

1.) Welcome to my world...the BOSE is chit...total chit. I hate it...sounds terrible and worst of all, never plays. I get the same messages and use the same curse words at it.

2.) Welcome to NPORA WAVEY

So, I am now in the process of replacing my BOSE system. I purchased 2 pairs of Alpine SPS-17C2 6.5" speakers and an Alpine MRP-F250 4x40w amp to drive them.

So far, I have replaced only the rear components: the Bose amp and rear door speakers. After spending $3 for a custom mount (2 metal framing ties at Home Depot) to attach the Alpine amp to the Bose mounting bracket, I was able to mount the Alpine amp in the same space.

I'm driving the amp with the speaker-level outputs from the HU and using the factory speaker wires. I've not replaced the HU or the front door speakers yet, since I have not yet received the HU, and the Alpine speakers are 4?, while the Bose are 2?.

The sound quality from the rear speakers is still disappointing, and the door panels rattle/buzz during louder bass notes.

Is the poor sound quality due to the new speakers, the amp, the rear door "enclosure", or the Bose headunit?

What can I do to eliminate door panel vibrations?

Edited by XPLORx4

The poor sound quality is due to a number of different things.

1.) Speaker level inputs to the amps. The amp has to double-translate the signal from the speaker level input. It has to translate it to a signal input, and then back into an amplified speaker output. When you replace the head unit, use RCA level inputs to the Amp to eliminate the first level of translation and your sound quality will improve.

2.) Rattling/buzzing - most likely due to a loose component somewhere, or something contacting the speaker itself. Your best bet is to remove the door panels again, and place some dynamat (or something along the lines of Dynamat...I used FatMat (available on eBay for relatively cheap) in my whole truck, and it made a HUGE difference in damping vibrations and reverberations) inside of the door, but not on the speaker. Put something between the speaker body and the door itself. A small wood ring of sorts will help prevent the speaker from vibrating in its mounts. They sell these devices called "speaker baffles" that go around the back side of the speaker to help "point" the sound outwards.

3.) The factory head unit puts out a miserably low sound signal, which corresponds to distortion and muddling of your sound. It may sound fine with the stock speakers, which are generally made of a paper cone and foam surround, but when you're pushing speakers that require more power (composite cone, and rubber surround, along with a stronger magnet) they distort more easily with less power.

Did you use Automotive speaker wire, or just regular speaker wire? The Automotive stuff is more expensive, but it is also shielded to prevent interference from other sources.