Want to get rid of my BOSE

navygz19

As the title states, I really want to get rid of the BOSE changer I have now. It only plays CD's when it wants to and shoots me all sorts of error codes of why it doesn't want to do it's job. So, I want to upgrade, but I know that BOSE doesn't like it's products to intersct with anything but, BOSE! Anyone have some good suggestions for upgrades? I don't need anything at ALL loud/rambunxious/obnoxious. In fact, I don't even have a need for subs. Rather put money into a nicer deck. Thanks!

-navy :beer:

Edited by navygz19

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:aok: I am not totally sure what will work with bose. If you are going to replace the deck and speakers then my vote is go with Pioneer all the way around. I replaced all the systems in all of my vehicles with pioneer (could not do it to the 2004 chevy as the alarm is wired into the radio P>O>S but that is another post!) anyway I have never had any trouble with pioneer. The 6x9 speakers kick a$$ good all-around sound which is what I look for these days.

I can't agree with you ZB. In my experiences Pioneer does not have the quality of other brands. If you think your Pioneer speakers sound good, then go down to a good stereo place (not Best Buy), and listen to some MB Quart or Boston Acoustic speakers.

The stereo shop I used to work at wouldn't sell Pioneer products because they weren't up to snuff with Alpine, Eclipse, Nakamichi, etc.

Navs,

If you're looking to get the best possible sound, here's what you're going to have to do.

Replace the head unit with a top echelon Alpine or Eclipse unit

Add an external 100W RMS/Channel 4-channel amplifier (JL Audio 500/4 recommended)

Replace your front speakers with 6.5" Boston Acoustic Z1 Components

Replace your Rear speakers with 6.5" Boston Acoustic Z-Series Coaxials....

Add a 10" JL Audio W3 Subwoofer and a 250/1 JL Audio Amplifier.

Granted, that setup will run you close to $6,000 when you include professional installation.....

Now, I'm sure your budget won't allow that, so here's my recommeded setup for you...

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-9856 (Link)

Speakers: 2 pairs of Infinity Reference 6012si (Link)

4-Channel Amplifier: Alpine MRP-F250 (Link)

In any event, replacing the Bose stereo you will have to rewire the stereo to bypass the Bose amplifiers. At which point, the stock speakers will sound like crap. I highly suggest replacing the speakers with some high-quality 2-ways and a good quality external amp that matches the head unit.

Installation isn't terribly difficult on a Pathfinder, and can easily be done in an afternoon if you even have the slightest clue what you're doing.

Crutchfield includes complete installation instructions, as well as any mounting kits and wiring harness adapters for the head unit you'll need.

You will need to get a wiring kit for the amp, though.

I can't agree with you ZB. In my experiences Pioneer does not have the quality of other brands. If you think your Pioneer speakers sound good, then go down to a good stereo place (not Best Buy), and listen to some MB Quart or Boston Acoustic speakers.

The stereo shop I used to work at wouldn't sell Pioneer products because they weren't up to snuff with Alpine, Eclipse, Nakamichi, etc.

Navs,

If you're looking to get the best possible sound, here's what you're going to have to do.

Replace the head unit with a top echelon Alpine or Eclipse unit

Add an external 100W RMS/Channel 4-channel amplifier (JL Audio 500/4 recommended)

Replace your front speakers with 6.5" Boston Acoustic Z1 Components

Replace your Rear speakers with 6.5" Boston Acoustic Z-Series Coaxials....

Add a 10" JL Audio W3 Subwoofer and a 250/1 JL Audio Amplifier.

Granted, that setup will run you close to $6,000 when you include professional installation.....

Now, I'm sure your budget won't allow that, so here's my recommeded setup for you...

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-9856 (Link)

Speakers: 2 pairs of Infinity Reference 6012si (Link)

4-Channel Amplifier: Alpine MRP-F250 (Link)

In any event, replacing the Bose stereo you will have to rewire the stereo to bypass the Bose amplifiers. At which point, the stock speakers will sound like crap. I highly suggest replacing the speakers with some high-quality 2-ways and a good quality external amp that matches the head unit.

Installation isn't terribly difficult on a Pathfinder, and can easily be done in an afternoon if you even have the slightest clue what you're doing.

Crutchfield includes complete installation instructions, as well as any mounting kits and wiring harness adapters for the head unit you'll need.

You will need to get a wiring kit for the amp, though.

Thanks Veng, I appreciate it!

My biggest issue is that I have never, ever, in all my life installed a car stereo. Please take some cheap shots at me! But I'll just get a book or something and teach myself.

Oh and BTW Veng, I cannot agree with you LESS on your sig. It implies that Chuck Norris is the meanest baddest mo-fo on earth. But he's got nothing on the "Hoff". GOSH don't you know, you are what you eat? That's why David Hasselhoff's diet mainly consists of iron rods, steel braids and small children. :cool2:

Recommended reading: The Car Stereo Cookbook (2nd Edition) by Mark Rumreich - It's a very good book that covers everything from design, procurement and installation.

Another good one: How to Design and Install High-Performance Car Stereo by Joe Pettitt

Wait a stinkin minute here....so, if you are what you eat, then the `Hoff is no more than a steel braided child...:lol:

Wait a stinkin minute here....so, if you are what you eat, then the `Hoff is no more than a steel braided child...:lol:

And SUCH is the reason why he's the butt of so many jokes recently!

He's managed to get himself into some mischief recently, lemme think if I can remember the exact wording from one of his more recent tiff's...

**thinks as hard as humanly possible**

:idea:

this is from a website I just found :lol:

A guard led him from the tennis tournament’s grounds after a series of clashes with security staff.

FIRST, the 53-year-old actor had a blazing row outside Centre Court. Guards would not let him in because he did not have a valid ticket.

THEN he was banned from press and players’ bars as he tried to get another drink.

Hasselhoff, who has fought a long battle with booze, yelled at staff: “You should let me in. Do you know who I am? I’m The Hoff.”

^^^That final sentance is just absolutely priceless!

"It's Friday afternoon, the 'hoff says strioke a pose.." <---that should be my new sig.

Edited by navygz19

Crutchfield also supplies you with step-by-step instructions to wire up the CD player and amplifier and install speakers, but their installation sheets won't cover everything.

For example, the installtion sheets for the head unit will assume that you're retaining all the stock wiring, and will have you splice all that in.

My suggestion to you would be to install the speakers and amp first...(the MRP-F250 will fit in that cubby below your cargo floor!), and wire the speakers to the outputs on the amplifier, then run your amplifier coax wire up to the head unit and then wire up the head unit (omitting the stock speaker wiring, which you will have upgraded with the new speakers and amps), then wire the power to the amplifier. Don't forget to disconnect your battery or ZZZAPP!

What about the tweeters in the a-pillar?

Can I run the wires from the amp. to the other points using the same route they take now?

Edited by navygz19

The factory tweets don't really do much, and with a properly set up 2-way in the door, you won't notice a difference - unless you're a true audiophile like I am.

Another option instead of getting a set of coaxials for the front, would be to get a set of components and replacing the tweeters as well. The only hard part about that is finding someplace to mount the Crossovers. You want to mount them as close to the speakers as possible for the best imaging. I mounted mine inside of the dashboard.

These are the components I have in the front, MB Quart Premium Line PCE-216, 6.5" Components

These are what I have in the rear doors for fill, MB Quart Discus DKF-116, 6.5" Coaxials.

I ran my speaker wires up the center hump and out from there to avoid interference and noise from other wires. I bought shelded Monster brand speaker wire.

The only hard part about that is finding someplace to mount the Crossovers.  You want to mount them as close to the speakers as possible for the best imaging.  I mounted mine inside of the dashboard.

That's what I'm talkin about...

When are you coming back East again? Beer/Pizza/stereo install day?? :D

Edited by navygz19

I would do Alpine or find a used Nak on Ebay. McIntosh if you've got $$$ to burn.

While Infinity is a good brand, try CDTs. Great speakers, and I think the two-ways are $99 as well.

Alpine amp all the way. I have an Alpine V12 amp and LOVE IT!

McIntosh isn't worth the money - at least not anymore. They've gone downhill considerabily.

Nakamichi's, while outstanding, don't have the features that modern stereo buyers crave (satellite radio, iPod connectability, etc).

CDTs lowest models are about $99. They're $99 speakers are crap compared to the Infinitys.

I'll be coming back east sometime in November. I'm returning to Rochester the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, and I should be back in VA the Tuesday before or earlier, depending on how quickly I can move out.

McIntosh isn't worth the money - at least not anymore. They've gone downhill considerabily.

Nakamichi's, while outstanding, don't have the features that modern stereo buyers crave (satellite radio, iPod connectability, etc).

CDTs lowest models are about $99. They're $99 speakers are crap compared to the Infinitys.

Yeah, I was thinking used Nak or used McIntosh. But Eclipse has gone downhill in the past year or two as well...didn't Clarion or somebody buy them? I can't remember.

As far as speakers, the Infinitys are great, but maybe if you can find some Alpine Type R's. Went out of production a while ago but I still see them crop up. Not sure if they fit the R50 or not though...

Yeah, I was thinking used Nak or used McIntosh. But Eclipse has gone downhill in the past year or two as well...didn't Clarion or somebody buy them? I can't remember.

As far as speakers, the Infinitys are great, but maybe if you can find some Alpine Type R's. Went out of production a while ago but I still see them crop up. Not sure if they fit the R50 or not though...

Used audio equipment is never recommended unless you're on an EXTREMELY tight budget. You're only going to be buying obsolete stuff, and you'll end up paying the same as what you would pay for better new stuff.

Used speakers are never recommended because nobody replaces speakers unless something happens to them... -thnkboutit-

I'm open to most any suggestion, just keep the $$$$ in mind, that's why I liked the Infinity's.

The best thing you can do is go down to a local professional stereo shop (NOT like a Best Buy/Circuit City) and spend a good hour or two listening to the various speakers in your price range.

Pick a head unit that you like (I suggest Clarion, Alpine, Eclipse, or Kenwood Excelon units), use that to power the speakers. Then see which combination sounds best TO YOU. It's your ears that are going to be listening to the music most.

Don't forget an amp, that will make any speaker sound MUCH better, and you'll get less distortion. Just make sure that the RMS output of the amp matches the RMS acceptance of the speaker, and the Peak output of the Amp doesn't exceed the peak acceptance of the speaker.

With money in mind I still say go with pioneer...IF I know people with alpine and for the money you can not tell that much difference. Besides my pioneer deck and speakers in my camaro are 10 years old and sound great still. I have to admit I did put infinity tweets in there so that does help but none the less I still get compliments on my system. So I am sticking with what works and lasts. I am partial since I only usually use pioneer. Venge I dont understand how you can say pioneer does not hold up mine have lasted years with absolutely no problems.

I worked as an installer in one of the top stereo shops in the DC area for a couple years. They stopped selling Pioneer stuff because they were getting a lot of complaints about it. I personally do not have any first hand experience with it, as I have never bought any of it because of that.

I love pioneer, partially because its the best walmart carries and if it messes up, buy it again and return the bad crap in the new box. Its the walmart lifetime warranty!

I love the sound of my pioneer stuff and even if i got the subs removed i love the sound of my pathy and others say it sounds good too. If anyone would say it dont sound good i would have to tell them to get ears checked!

Here is my sound setup, Pioneer head unit, i wired around my front componet things people call amps but the amp is really in the back. and put pioneer 4 ways in the front and still have my stock tweeters working too. Then i moved my bose front speakers to the back because they were in good shape and have a larger magnet than the rears. Also the way that i wired around my front componet system, the rear channel still gets it bass channel it used to always get but also the mids-highs front channel. When i fade to the front, the rear speakers to my supprise dont though play the mids-highs front channel and my head unit powers the front channels for the front speakers. This is easy and cheep and sounds really really really good. I have spent the money on them fancy systems in the past and this is almost just as good at a fraction of the cost. I even have 2 12s and a 1100w class d mono block @ 2 oms and a 1 farad cap and dont have it in most the time cuz id rather have the extra room and without them i still have a great system and a supprising amount of bass! There is no way i would ever have the desire for subs if i didnt already have them from a different car and that is the only reason i have them. Nest thing is getting better speakers for the rear and i might put them in the front and move the pioneers to the rear but i really have no complaints and get compliments all the time, even from big stero people! Try doing this first cus you wouldnt be out any cash you wouldnt other wise be paying and if you feel like you need more, then spend more. you wont be out anyting. The only prob is i cant remember what wire colors i modified but i just used a multi meter and any sound shop could do it for you for like $15 if you took your door panels off for them but if you know how to work a multi meeter, do it yourself! I think the rear channel sounds alot better and has more power than it would using the front and rear channel from the amp than it would just jusing the rear channel form a head unit.

Now my fingers hurt! :type: I wish you would have just brought it here and i would have done it for you instead of me typing it all out! lol. If you heard mine, you would do it! Trust me!

Edited by 4x4le

Ok, wait, are your speakers bad? If you are trying to stay on the cheap, just replace the head unit. Go to crutchfield.com and you can purchase a new head unit and it will come free with the new brackets and full instructions to do it yourself. You will need to purchase a harness adapter, which they sell. I installed a panasonic head unit in my brothers 99 QX4 and it was a piece of cake. Now, if you need to replace the speakers, you can always get some speakers and jump passed the amps. I did that on my 91 300zx and it worked perfectly. A new head unit, speakers and amps can get spendy all at once.