Increasing turbo boost on diesel

Guest Gazm3

Guest Gazm3

As the topic says.

I have the current model 2006 model, 132kW turbo diesel in the pathfinder, and it has travelled just over 5000km now (3000mi). I was curious as to weather you can safely up the turbo boost by a few PSI, by bleeding off from the wastegate actuator vaccum line.

Is thier any inbuilt defences that the engine computer has to this practise?

Will the engine computer compensate the fuel mixtures for the slightly increased boost?

The pathfinder has pretty decent torque, but i guess a little bit more will be most welcome

thanx in advance

Will the engine computer compensate the fuel mixtures for the slightly increased boost?

I'm not too familiar with the turbo system on the diesels, but I can at least attempt to answer this one question.

Usually not. You'll likely have to have the computer reprogrammed to allow for different fuel mapping to account for the higher boost levels. Also, with higher boost levels, you'll be smart to invest in a turbo timer of some sort to allow the engine and turbo to properly cool after a drive.

Guest Gazm3

thanx for reply. Mabee they have fuel mapping for a few extra psi. hehe im not familiar with TD engines, but have doen this before on petrol ones. Normally if it runs MAF based tune it will work, but if it runs emulated MAF or AlphaN speed denisty tune it wont

Well may be safter to do on dyno. whats Ideal mixture settings for wide open throttle on turbo diesel's

Do you know what the stock boost level is? I know they're considerably higher on diesel motors than gasoline motors, but don't know what this one is.

I have a co-worker who has a Powerstroke Turbodiesel Ford F-350...the thing is GIGANTIC. It's ridiculous...but he runs 70psi of boost and makes 900ft-lb of torque at idle. Granted, he's also dumped a ludicrous amount of money in the engine of this thing...it'll tow a house.

There's entirely no reason for anyone to need that much power in a truck.

Well, I never said it wasn't excessive! He does have a 45' 5th wheel boat trailer that he pulls with it....with that much power, it feels like there's nothing back there.

Guest Gazm3
There's entirely no reason for anyone to need that much power in a truck.

hehe too much power is never enough. Dont know if the std compressor is capable of that thou.

ill wack a boost guage on it and tell what it runs std....

my non scientific guess is 10psi

any other guesses / bets taken ahhahaha

Gazm3,

As I understand it, the new 2006 TD has a lot of electronic control over the turbo boost, fuelling and the variable outlet nozzle. You may find that trying to override the waste gate confuses the computer and actually reduces power (emergency override).

There are several brands of ad-on computer control chips, DTronic or Safari (from ARB) and Diesel Power www.dieseltuning.net.au.

These are plug-in units that can get the computer to increase boost and fuel by fooling it, feeding it bogus information of boost, exhaust oxygen, fuel setting, revs etc. Some of these claim power gains of 30% or more. Some are reprogrammable so that you can plug in the laptop and see what the settings are then increase as you desire.

If you want more than this (30%) from a plug-in chip, then have a look at Diesel - LP Gas conversions. www.dieselgas.com.au

Have fun

Geordie

• 1 year later...

I know this is a little late but you can safely crank the boost up via the wastgate actuator. You will need to increase your fuel supply rate though by using a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure regulator that fed from your BOV/BPV. This will take diesel that would normally be returned to the tank and reroute it back to the engine to cope with the extra air be pumped into the engine.

• 5 weeks later...

All i can tell you is use an electronic boost controller instead of a manual one...I've had a problem with manual boost controllers bleeding and giving me spikes....I have a friend who has a mid 90's dodge 4x4 with a cummins diesel....stacked twin turbos pieced together from peterbilts, and an intercooler donated from a kenworth. 1400lb. ft. torque / 800 hp. He machined his own parts. Stock stroke/displacement/cam. We can be going 70 mph and stab the gas and the tires easily break loose...it's stupid....hi 10's in the 1/4 mile