Cabin Filter Comparison: OEM vs. NAPA Gold 4863

Towncivilian

Today, I replaced the NAPA Gold 4863 in-cabin filters which were in use for about 18 months with Nissan OEM part # 999M1-VP003 ($36 on Courtesy Parts - which is the wholesale price the dealership offered me). Strangely, Courtesy Parts lists a different, cheaper part number under Accessories -> Interior for R50s. Perhaps these are the filters alone and do not include the new retaining clip, caution and replacement labels, or instructions, all of which were unnecessary in my case. I already have the caution label in my glove box, and the sticker is nice but not worth $4 (or $16 if I had bought the NAPA Gold again). The old retaining clip was still usable, but I used the new one anyway.

Here are photos of the new filters:

th_DSC09366.jpg th_DSC09364.jpg th_DSC09363.jpg th_DSC09361.jpg

Both filters have 52 pleats, give or take one. Old filters:

th_DSC09370.jpg th_DSC09369.jpg

These filters have the same amount of pleats as the OEM filters. They don't have as much foam padding around the front of the filters. I paid around $20 for these filters, and they look comparable to the OEM filters. These filters are probably made by Wix, since most if not all of NAPA's Gold filter line (oil and air) is made by Wix. I would not hesitate to use them again. Other than the minor gripe about the foam padding, there is nothing wrong with these filters and they did their job well.

Scans of instructions:

Page 1:

th_page1.png

Page 2:

th_page2.png

Page 3:

th_page3.png

In short, these say nothing different than the guide on NICOclub.

Here are scans of the caution and replacement labels:

th_27081-1N601.png

Replacement sticker (hit image limit :()

• Like 1

Probably NAPA, since they're NAPA Gold filters and all...

Oh yeah, good point. I don't have those around me, but now that you mention it, I remember seeing them when I lived in L.A.

Indeed, they were bought at NAPA. I will tap the dust out of the NAPA filters and reuse them for a year or more after the OEM filters become clogged. I also won't buy any more OEM filters as the NAPA Gold filters are more than sufficient. As I said, NAPA Gold cabin filters are likely manufactured by Wix. You can purchase Wix filters on Amazon for $20.

Edited by Towncivilian

Indeed, they were bought at NAPA. I will tap the dust out of the NAPA filters and reuse them for a year or more after the OEM filters become clogged. I also won't buy any more OEM filters as the NAPA Gold filters are more than sufficient. As I said, NAPA Gold cabin filters are likely manufactured by Wix. You can purchase Wix filters on Amazon for $20.

I just found these: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1043005 at RockAuto. They're only $15, and they have activated carbon in them to prevent odors!

Awesome, Howie! I'll use that one next time (in like, 3 years).

adamzan, if you remove it, you'll have a gaping hole in the airflow and it will just blow out the air box thing toward the passenger's legs. Or maybe you could just rip out the filters and keep the plastic skeleton in there...

With the new filter, the airflow seems improved. Even though the old filters weren't looking too bad at the time they were removed, it seemed that they were still providing some restriction.

I just found these: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1043005 at RockAuto. They're only $15, and they have activated carbon in them to prevent odors!

I use those exact filters.

I actually had to modify part of the plastic on them to get them to fit, but it was simply a matter of using some wire snippers to cut off a little extra plastic. Nothing major, and only took about five minutes.

Hard to say if they reduce odors though. My factory filters were filthy, and I didn't really notice much difference in smell when I put these in. BUT - I'm not saying I wouldn't recommend them.

• 1 year later...

I just read on nico club that 99 pathfinders and older do not have these filters. Any one herd this as well I was just wondering before I remove my glove box and buy new filters. Long weekend coming up and was gonna add this to the list. Any help would be great. Thanks ahead of time

Hm, you're right, there might not be. Looking at the Courtesy Parts site, it says the in-cabin microfilters are for 1999.5 - 2004 Pathfinders and the scans of the installation instructions I provided above say 98 - 01. Only way to find out is to take a look. It doesn't take long to remove the glove box.

I have the "Nissan Pathfinder Model R50 Series" Service Manual and nowhere in the Maintenance section does it state anything about an in-cabin filter.

Mine is dated 1995. What year manual has the filter?

It seems that no year's owners manual or service manual say anything about the cabin filter. Just remove the glove box and see if you can add one or one is already present.

I meant is there even room for them in there. I was told the older p finders didn't and my hanes says the same thing I may have to take it apart

My 97 did not have factory filters but there is already a template to cut a hole (slot) for the filter to fit. 5 min with a sharp razor knife and it is just as the factory intended. I put mine in a year ago and don't plan on changing them for another year or so.

Put the cabin filters in today before going to work. My pathy didn't have any filters at all. I cut out the opening and no stock filters. Blew out the space and put the new ones in and buttoned it up and another perfect job.

Thanx NORPA and its members.

Great! You're quite welcome. The filter will prevent the evaporator core from clogging up with debris, and those things are hard to access in order to clean. And of course you'll be breathing in less junk! :)

• Like 1