Time to learn a new skill

k9sar

So my pathy failed inspection today because the right rear frame rail has half-dollar sized holes in it. Time to learn how to weld. Of course, I could find a shop to do it for me but it's a good excuse to buy a welder. So, for those of you with the knowledge, here are my questions (I couldn't come up with the info via SEARCH)

What would be the best type (MIG, TIG, etc) of welder to get for this type of repair and to be able to use for general fabrication of racks or guards?

What is required to prep the area to be welded?

Any suggestions on how to do the repair (flat stock welded to suface, cut frame and weld in new piece, etc.)

Thanks. I have until the end of the month to make the repairs (anyone want to come over to easter PA for a welding party?)

oh yea... I guess I should consider amps etc when picking one. More amps welds bigger crap, right? What would be the minimum needed to do this job?

Edited by k9sar

I've always used a MIG or Flux Core wire for frame repairs.

I usually leave the bad steel in, as it's typically not near the edges. Then I grind away the surface rust near the top and bottom, and start tacking my new piece of steel on. Work in different sections so you don't overheat and warp any one section.

simon, so you just weld it on the outside of the hole?

i've been considering getting the bad side wrapped but the guy wants quite the change.. it would have to most of one side.. from the rear wheel bump up almost all the way to the front.

----------

oh yeah, mo AMPs, mo powar. :D not sure what you need but err on the high side.

and the area prep, it's has to be clean of rust. clean, clean, clean.. 1. the weld doesn't want to stick to rust; 2, you're already making it weak by having the rust there, if it sticks.. it won't last though.

simon, so you just weld it on the outside of the hole?

i've been considering getting the bad side wrapped but the guy wants quite the change.. it would have to most of one side.. from the rear wheel bump up almost all the way to the front.

Yeah, pretty much. Where there is sufficient steel available on the existing frame, I've done a couple of plug welds as well, but basically that's about it.

I'm not a welder but did a lot of research. Go with MIG. If you must stick with a 110V unit (it should do fine) try to get one that is 130-140 amps which is about the highest you can go. Also, see if you can find one with more than a 10% duty cycle @ full power. Variable amp settings is useful also. As for information, I bought the second book down on sale. It is VERY informative...

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PACA...000000088120548

Consider Clarke and Hobart welders. They are mid range in quality and price. From what I have heard, a crappy welder will discourage use... :shrug:

B

Huh, works for me but maybe it's cookies or something.

This is the book, I bought it on sale from MSC Industrial Supply for 20 or $25.

http://new.industrialpress.com/welding-ess...-second-edition

Here is a brief review with more info.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=30116

B

turns out my buddy who lent me the spring retainer clips has a big MIG welder in his garage buried under all his other crap. He took a course at a local tech school (otherwise known as the 'special' school) and he decided to buy one to restore an old car he had. Says it weighs a couple hundred pounds and runs off 220v so I think it should do the job. I can't use his garage due to all the crap he has in it but he's willing to let me dig out the welder and borrow it as long as I take care of it.

"Yeah, but this is K9 we're talking about. I don't think he should ever have gas & flame even slightly close to one another."

"Yeah, but this is K9 we're talking about. I don't think he should ever have gas & flame even slightly close to one another."

I just felt like this should be repeated. Many times... :D

B

I just felt like this should be repeated. Many times... :D

B

That was not nearly enough B :D

In other, related news...

Man Burned By Gas Tank

Anne Arundel County fire officials say a man was critically burned when vapors from a gas tank he had been handling ignited near a fire.

Officials say the 33-year-old man was removing a gas tank from a vehicle in Jessup on Tuesday afternoon, but walked away to warm up near a barrel with a fire burning inside.

Vapors from the gasoline ignited, catching the man's clothing on fire and he rolled on the ground to extinguish the flames. Officials say a friend drove the man to a hospital and he was later transferred to Johns Hopkins Bayview burn center with burns on 40 percent of his body.

Firefighters put out a small grass fire in the area of Route 175 and Sellner Road that started when the man rolled on the ground to extinguish the fire on his clothes.

I've got a Lincoln WeldPak 3200HD. It's the biggest 115V welder lincoln sells. They say it'll do 5/16" with flux, but I've never tried anything over 3/16" with it. It also has the ability to accept gas, or flux core for true MIG or flux welding. I don't see it on the Home Depot website anymore, though...