I'm in a bit of a pickle

PDCCD

Ok, bearing insulator driver side somehow got trashed with just over a year on it (KYB). Ordered OEM from dealer saturday, got it today. Tried to put it all back together, and have a problem.

img2461ac3.th.jpgthpix.gif

img2460hc8.th.jpgthpix.gif

The new one is one the right in the top pic. It seems the spacer that is in the center of this one won't slide far enough down on the KYB strut to allow the nut to thread on. Is this the wrong part from nissan or please don't tell me i need a KYB strut insulator for a KYB strut? I need to get this together asap, so anyone with any info please share.

Thank you.

Pete

Edited by PDCCD

Pete! The new parts look 100% correct. I have my stockers in the garage and they are identical. When I replaced mine I actually studied them for differences--they were the same--but the rubber was slightly firmer (by the hand strength torq wrench) on the new ones over the old (55K).

Pete! The new parts look 100% correct. I have my stockers in the garage and they are identical. When I replaced mine I actually studied them for differences--they were the same--but the rubber was slightly firmer (by the hand strength torq wrench) on the new ones over the old (55K).

Thanks man. How odd. So it appears that only KYB strut insulators will work with KYB struts. I guess I'll be at it with the grinder now. Too bad, it appears to be cast steel, tough stuff to grind or cut, and the rubber "fingers" will only complicate the process.

Thanks again.

You have the wrong part. You need a strut insulator from an earlier model year. The earlier model year strut insulators don't have that extra collar in the center. The struts you are using are probably for earlier models, so the threaded portion of the shaft is longer to accommodate the collar on the insulator.

This is what the older insulator part number looks like (the one on the right). Unfortunately, I doubt you will have much success with a grinder:

oldvsnewinsulator.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

^^ listen to this man!

Funny you post this photo. I had a problem with KYB struts up front, that the threaded shaft didnt stick up far enough (at least not enough for the abuse of rock crawling), the nut broke loose while offroading (stripped the threads right off) and caused a lot of damage.

My mechanic somehow found a KYB strut that had a much longer threaded shaft, and we were able to put two nuts on each shaft for double the strength.

I always wondered how he found a longer strut and i think this post cleared that up... he probably found a strut from an earlier model R50!

Edited by FUELER

I just got off the phone with Chris (02silverpathy). He says he has a KYB GR-2 and the exact same mounting insulator, and his works fine. He had an OME strut he had taken off, and it's threaded portion on the top of the strut rod is roughly 3/4 longer. His old strut insulator was also the same length as my new one. It appears that there are indeed two struts being used. His truck is the same year as mine.

The kit that 4x4parts is selling comes with the strut with the shorter threaded portion and of course the corresponding strut insulator. So as Dean says, there's gotta be two insulator types. what a pita. my luck lol. :tired:

So Dean, can you tell me what years used the "old" style so i can try to exchange this one with the dealer.

Thanks all for the input, hopefully i can get it back together by the weekend. I wonder if i should post a warning thread to others so they don't go down the same path. no pun intended.

I remember your thread on that fueler, and was glad you posted it. I made extra sure when i did the initial install, and checked it often since then to insure the same didn't happen to me. It seems i didn't have the problem because i used all the parts that 4x4parts sent, and they worked together. It's now that i'm trying to mix oem with 4x4parts that there's this problem, i wonder how yours got mixed together.

ps. dean, you are a pathfinder god.

Edited by PDCCD

So Dean, can you tell me what years used the "old" style so i can try to exchange this one with the dealer.

Well, I know for sure the p/n for the '97 will work, so that's your safest option. I don't know when the switch to the new part occurred.

Thanks Dean.

I went to the kyb website, and i found the part number stamped on my strut. It appears i have struts for a 96-99 pathfinder. So, it's safe to say, that 4x4parts is selling a kit advertised for 96-2004, but it's really for 96-99. Mine is working, but there have been problems. Namely the strut bearing sucked, i've had an odd light thud and the strut insulator tore very prematurely. Now whether the old style parts weren't compatible and contributed, i can't conclusively say.

Pete