Cool & Easy Auto Tranny Mod!

Diesel Boy

i have just completed this mod myseld this morning. thanks for the right up, very helpful, i completely understood which wire you ment as soon as i looked for it.

mod works perfect and is recommended for anyone with a diesel!

thanks diesel boy :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tonkatoy

After reading this article I used my tranny in the power mode for a day it really didn't improve speed but it caused the engine to rev way high deveral times in the red.

I this what happens when you try to control the tranny with your idea?

As far a switches go a local surplus store that has a little of everything has switchs in stock for 2.50 each +tax they are about 1/16 to big but with my dremel tool I cut the hole to the perfect fit for 2.50 it was well worth it

Thanks Tonka toy

• 1 month later...

Isnt this mod the same as the overdrive button?

Is the hold button a diesel thing or is this the same as the overdrive button?

If this hold button is the overdrive button, my understanding was that the overdrive button did the same thing as the mod, made a physical link in the TC?

Or does this mod only affect lockup as 5th gear? So 1st thru 4th would still be a fluid link but this mod would only allow you to drop to 4th from 5th at will?

> if this is the case, isn't that what I'm doing when I kick off the overdrive button on the highway?

Edited by apc

Guest saaskins

This is an interesting discussion that is testing the limists of my AT knowledge. (until I got my Pathy recently, I was always driving MT cars). So now I'm trying to figure out how these d**m things work.

My understanding so far (based mainly on a howstuffworks.com article, i'll admit) is that in 1-D the output from the TC drives the planet carrier, whereas in OD the sungear is driven from a shaft from the TC housing (connected to the engine). In other words OD is always "locked". (I think this was what apc was saying) However this must be wrong, at least for our ATs, b/c other wise this mod wouldn't work, and clearly it does.

So here are my newbie questions:

What is this "hold" button of which you speak? I only have a "power" button. What does this do, prevent the kickback switch from workign? Is this a diesel only thing?

Why does locking-unlocking the TC give the appearence of a "5th" gear? Is this because of the torque multiplying affect of the TC? I have never felt more than 4 disticnt gears, but I will try detect it now...

Could this mod be expanded to intentionally lock the TC in gears other than OD? I'm a newbie to offroading as well as this board, but the other weekend I was out on a pretty hairy (for me) ascent and i noticed that in certain situations I would rev the engine and no wheels would turn. I assume this was the TC slipping? It seems like for steep ascents (more power) and descents (engine breaking) in 1 it would be nice to be able to lock up the TC on command. Is this possible via this relay?

Good stuff, guys.

• 1 month later...

Just noticed you have added to this!!!!

Hmm, well:

First of all, the torque converter can be looked at as being two seperate halves, one coupled to the engine and the other to the gear box.

The two halves are connect by the transmission fluid, which transfers the spinning motion generated by the rotation of the crank shaft in the engine through to the half connected to the gear box.

When lock up occures, a clutch locks the two halves of the torque convertor together, making a direct mechanical link from the engine to the gear box.

By doing this, the loss of power created by the fluid coupling is eliminated.

This opperation is all that the switch controls. When the lock up clutch engages, and when it switches off.

Lock up only occured on mine when in over drive.

The switch im refering to, on mine, had three positions, Hold, A/T and Power.

Hold prevented the Kick down of gears, when you put your foot to the floor, a switch on the accelerator pedal tells the trans comp to drop a gear. The Hold switch prevents this from occuring, so that the only time the box will change gear wil be in relation to speed and engine rev's, and you moving the stick.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask more, i will keep my eye on this thread a bit harder ;)

• 2 months later...

I did this mod a few days ago and I must say I like it, even though it's not quite such a pronounced difference as to be immediately noticeable. The shift pattern has been altered enough to notice, though. It seems like I can pull long hills and go up sand dunes easier with the lockup switch on now.

• 5 months later...

Wow this is an awesome modification! best thing i've done to the truck!

Where a live there are a lot of hills on the open road that stretch for 3-6km. I used to just chuck it in 3rd and sit at 80k. NOW i can flick it into overdrive minus the lockup and it'll happily sit at around 100k at the same revs it used to sit at 80.

Top job diesel boy :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

zwish! That is the sound of the time space continuum rupturing, it's 2012, I can't believe this site has existed for so long and I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT IT!? Where are the pics?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Lockupswitchplug_zpsf23764cb.jpg

For those asking for a photo, this is the best I can do sorry, it is of the original. I have yet to do this mod myself but I will take some pictures of it when I do; very soon.

Edited by kiwipete

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...