Tillamook State Forest *CHANGED* 8/6: The Big One

Spolar93

ok, looks like someone had to nail down a date and location, so i did. i wanna run some good stuff, like mini rubicon but will run whatever i can. bring a rig in good working condition, and an open mind to body damage. i've never been down there put have heard enough pictures and stories to get me itching. hopefully someone will show up that can act as a guide, or atleast someone that has run it a few times.

all experience levels and rigs are welcome to come, stock or built. lets get out and enjoy the weather!

we'll probably meet at 8am at a meeting location to be determined closer to the date. dont forget your Oregon OHV permit!

Edited by Spolar93

Hooray, you narrowed it down to the whole OHV area that's open to 4x4's!

hehehe

The other areas are all 4-wheeler and horse trails only. There are over 300 miles of trails in the BC area, AFAIK.

Lemme get this bitch running again and we'll go have some fun!

fack i thought i was all cool and got rid of half the forest. haha.

you know where mini rubicon is? i was looking on the map but its not labeled. powerline trail looks fun, is that the one you were telling me about?

edit: btw, hope you can go on this man. you know im good for help too. let me know a couple days in advance if you need another set of hands, ill make the drive

Edited by Spolar93

why is it that all the trails that are being run happen to be on days that i work... DANG IT... i wish right now. maybe a meteor will blow up the building i work in and then they will ahve to cancel work

fack i thought i was all cool and got rid of half the forest. haha.

you know where mini rubicon is? i was looking on the map but its not labeled. powerline trail looks fun, is that the one you were telling me about?

edit: btw, hope you can go on this man. you know im good for help too. let me know a couple days in advance if you need another set of hands, ill make the drive

Powerline is a fun, easy trail with a few tight spots. MiniRubi is halfway up Firebreak Five, IIRC. All that is is a bunch of rock laid out beside the main road so people can crawl on 'em. FB5 is a "Most Difficult" trail, it's real steep and has lots of rocks in the way you have to crawl around/over.

wow i feel real bad now, cause i cant go that day, and alot of people i know that want to go are gonna be up in goldendale for the WEROCK comp.

packie, i feel real bad for you the most. i think were reschedualing it fgor the following sunday, august 6th. if theres anyway you can switch days, that would be tits.

btw, just got my new headers and stuff put on. 3 broken studs, replaced the studs with bolts, gutted my cat and put the summit turbo muffler on, no tail pipe. one word: WOW

8/6, as in a Sunday? Might actually be able to make it to something, but a Sunday run 200 miles from home before a work day is sketchy. Burned all my vacation on wedding and honeymoon, before you ask. :D We'll see, half the family is in the Longview/Portland area, so... we'll see. Maybe the girls need a day to go shopping or planning or something.

damn, i want to go but i can't i'm in ohio again and i won't be back till the 2nd.

i still have to finish my bloody half doors before the con.. (going to the rubicon on Aug 24th!)

We will definatly have to do that run sometime, i want to hit the tillimook area

that aint no trailer queen! if i can make the drive on my 33s, so can you!

36 x 12.50 bias ply mud tires, with a spooled rear end.. it drives, fine on the road, but only 1-4 gear.. got no nuts in 5th. and you are 2 hours closer than i

we will see, i'm going to be strapped for cash, due to my rubicon trip comming up (gotta save, cause i'm towing it to sacramento, Ca)

we'll let you know

Jp

i'd love to come, i have been trying to find out where that place was, as i've never been. Then you guys talked about it and now i know.

I've got family in the salem area, so i do come down on occation, one of these days we will come down and go wheeling

Never free on the weekdays. I'm out of town (normally internaionaly, except this year has been an exception) 75% of the year

oh ya, i heard that you once broke a ring and pinion in the front? I still have my entire front end, so if you need any parts (i know not all are interchangeable) let me know

Edited by 87pathy

yeah i did, last winter while i was driving up to the mountain. pinion seal just gave out, all the fluid leaked out and destruction ensued. fixed now, but i could always use a spare cv. too bad you have a pre 93 rig, or id snatch up your centerlink if it was good and your tie rod assemblies

After watching a video of mini-Rubi I seem to remember that it's just part of Archer's Firebreak, and it's not marked on the map. The rock pile I was talking about is Rock Garden, in the middle of Firebreak 5.

Crusher usually requires a winch, it's not just a trail, it's a loop off the top of FB 5 that goes down a steep-ass hill of solid 3-to-6 foot boulders and back up it. You won't believe the stuff some people can drive over, though. ;) Crusher is usually real crowded with bigger rigs and there's no place to park, so you have to hike on in there if you want to watch. There's no way I could go through that, I can tell ya that much right now.

Crusher Trails from the top:

crusher1.jpg

From mid-hill looking up(mid-trail, if you can call it that)

crusher2.jpg

From mid-hill looking down.

crusher3.jpg

Archer's Firebreak is mostly fun but there are some places where you can easily cave in the whole side of your rig against rocks if you're not careful. Andrew learned that lesson in his Land Cruiser, it came away with rock rash galore.

archer1.jpg

rockrash.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

alright im in. i got the 6th off. let me know an address so i can map it out and plan on how long its gonna take me to get down there. im runnign my pathy with 31x10.5 tires with 3BL and about a 2SL. do you think i will be fine for the trails were going to run

Let's see some pics you guys. I just now saw this, and dunno how OK it would be to bring a HB, but I'd be really interested in running something over there closer to the fall (say, later September and before November). I need to plan plenty in advance though, as it's about 8 hours of driving or so for me. I know another HB guy who might be interested, and maybe extreme90path if he/we can get his Pathy sorted out before then.

once we decide on the meeting point at near tsf, more than likely a gas station, i'll give you guys the address to mapquest.

people going so far:

Spolar93

Packie88

87pathy (maybe)

anyone else?

hope i dont wreck to hard, cause i gotta drive 6 hours on the 8th to move into my fraternity and hump girls