Thinking about getting a cycle...

OR99.5Speed

First off, sorry about the long post. I have a ton of questions because I know nothing.

I'm about to start my second year of college, and never really cared about motorcycles until the past few days. I'm getting a little tired of cars, especially my Assfinder. 14 MPG isn't cutting it, and it's really annoying to burn $2.40 in gas going to the gym and back, let alone pleasure drives. I would keep the Pathfinder, just not use it as much.

Also being in college, it's either this or a bicycle, and I'd obviously rather have a motorcycle for obvious reasons.

I'm not the flashy, showy type. I may screw around a little in my cage, but I don't carry the notion that I'm immortal. Frankly, I'm scared @!*%less of riding. I want a cheap, but forgiving bike.

I've been reading all night about good beginner bikes. I'd be looking more towards a Kawasaki Ninja 250 as a first bike, and am shocked that they are so cheap. I would need to finance it though, and I don't have credit, lol. I looked on eBay and saw that there isn't much price savings used over new, and I think I would rather pay the premium for a zero-mile, never-abused, never-dumped bike over a used one, not to mention getting easy financing. Something tells me that these bikes are the Kias of the bike world.

I also don't understand how the licensing system works. Do I buy a bike, then somehow get it to the DMV to get my learner's permit? then there iare the MSF courses to do. I need to check on prices.

Where is a good place to look at clothing? How do you go to the store with these things? Where do you park? Do you wear a backpack and carry your helmet? Do you walk into the hardware store with full leathers?

Sorry about the long post. If you can help me with any of it, or state your opinion I would greatly appreciate it.

How can you blame me? It's a grocery-getter for me! It has balding all-seasons, stock suspension, etc. It's not a bad car at all, it just doesn't suit my needs. I rarely take a trip that's more than 5 miles anyways.

And "Assfinder" is a positive term!

if u rarely take triups over 5 miles...why are u complaining about gas? LOL and u can get alot of groceries if u have a bike, trust me. maybe a loaf of bread...a box of cereal and peanut butter &jelly will fit in ur backpack - then you wont have milk of sandwich meat or anything else....

bikes are bad - i love them but if you drive like an asshat - dont get one. you will find a way to kill yourself...and even a 250 ninja is fast

Poopfinder hardly is though....

Just about any vehicle can have balding tires and stock suspension though....it's up to YOU to fix that. You can't fault the car for that!

LOL

It's posted from a very funny and childish forum where toilet humor is funny. Don't read too far into it. ;)

I don't fault it for anything, just the fact that it doesn't suit my needs very well. It gets groceries just fine, and the golf clubs fit great, but most of the time it's only me in the car, just seems like a waste. I take as best care of it that I can...I'm pretty obsessive over my vehicles.

if u rarely take triups over 5 miles...why are u complaining about gas? LOL and u can get alot of groceries if u have a bike, trust me. maybe a loaf of bread...a box of cereal and peanut butter &jelly will fit in ur backpack - then you wont have milk of sandwich meat or anything else....

bikes are bad - i love them but if you drive like an asshat - dont get one. you will find a way to kill yourself...and even a 250 ninja is fast

I won't ride like an asshat, I promise. I'm very careful and conservative. I respect the fact that a 250 Ninja is fast compared to most any vehicle.

I'd still be keeping the Pathfinder, or at least something with four wheels. But with a bike I could ride on campus and get the Motorcycle parking spots, not to mention great gas mileage around town.

You guys aren't giving me much credit, damn!

I'd be looking more towards a Kawasaki Ninja 250 as a first bike

Nope, don't recommend it... Too zippy (but NOT fast), freeway cruising is like crap, you'll quickly tire of it and want a real bike. Get an older BMW K75( :aok: ), Suzuki SV 650, V-Strom 650, GS500, Honda Shadow 600 if you like cruiser styles... I can give more suggestions if you wish.

A basic bike is a GREAT suppliment to a car, particularly a truck. Cheap reg and insurance for an older one and 40+ mpg is nice. Remember though, you will need to invest in safety gear. The worst wreck I've been in was 1/2 mile from home on a work lunch break...

I can't answer about your local laws so better just go to the DMV (or whatever you have there) web site and read up...

For gear, I highly recommend newenough.com . I have purchased almost all my gear there for the last 3-4 years. Shop the close out section and you can get outrageous deals !!

How do you go to the store with these things? Where do you park? Do you wear a backpack and carry your helmet? Do you walk into the hardware store with full leathers?

You ride it to the store... Some motorcycle bags are helpful, but a good backpack can get you a long way. I'll attach a pict of my CBR1100 loaded; I rode/lived/camped like that for 6 weeks. Don't be an asshat, park it in a parking space like you would a car. Yes, I have a 55 liter bag that fits on a rear rack that converts to a backpack just by adding straps so thats what goes into the store with me. If I take the K75, it has locking hard bags so I just stuff the gorcery bags in. I carry my helmet, it doesn't weigh much, but costs a lot and yes, I'll walk into the hardware store (bed, bath and beyond for that matter) in leathers. The idiots stay away from you and the cool people just ask what you are riding and want to share stories... :D

Ask away with any questions, I've been riding street bikes for 20 years. I'm sure mws will chime in soon. Just remember to ride responsibly and I'm sure you'll wish you got a bike sooner.

B

Dan, don't get a bike... Stick with your truck, it'll be better for everyone. :P

one of my co workers just picked up an older (1984) honda hawk 650. I don't think it's classified as a sport bike so you don't get rinsed on insurance. It's a great little bike with a lot of cool features you don't find on other sport cruisers like a V-twin motor an single swing arm. They aren't very spendy either and a blast on the track.

I'd recommend a Suzuki GS500 from somewhere around the model year 2000 instead of a Ninja 250. This was before they got all the plastic on the sides and front so insurance should be pretty cheap. They will also fit an average size adult much better than the little Ninja will. It is probably one of the best entry level bikes you can get, and they are dirt cheap as well.

As far as going to stores, I'll wear my gear in the stores (minus the helmet anyway, they look at you weird with that on) and carry my bag. I've never been hassled about carrying the bag in the store.

Good luck with your search and be sure to take the MSF course!!

i have seen to many deaths on bikes but if you have a wish then do it. you'll need bike license and plates.. insurance and the class. bicycling around b-town is better but if you're set on the motorbike then get one..

most accidents happen because of others.. car drivers tend to not notice motorcicles.. have fun though. lot's of nice hilly and curvy roads to let the wind mess your hair up.. helmets are not mandatory in IN but it's not a bad idea to have one.. all the surrounding states require them.

:crazy: ok first of all you can not be afraid to ride or your screwed already. second if you are not planning on taking long rides and enjoying the bike then do what i did, i had a kawasaki gsxr for like a year, kept my car for winter but realized i was not riding it enough to enjoy it. and i was going to hurt myself. i was in your shoes saying i will be so careful and not go fast.... yeah right...hit it off the line and zip to 100 in no time flat and tell me you dont want to do it again and again. anyway i got rid of it when i almost had a high speed accident because a car did not see me. but i did love riding bikes so i got a dirt bike.. a honda XR 250R it is street legal so i can run over to buddies houses or cruise along. but i also take it to the mountains and hit the trails.. best of both worlds if you ask me. good luck and be careful.. wear a helmet to i do even though colorado does not require you to. :aok:

The B be right, mws chiming in!

I agree with what he says, and will add the following:

Start with a DIRT BIKE off the city streets. Here's why:

Motorcycles are wonderful in so many ways (I've been an avid rider for almost 30 years - my Connie has almost 90K miles) with one big negative - they offer darned little idiot protection. There are no such things as fender benders! You must accept that risk, and if you have half a brain, you will choose to ACTIVELY manage that risk.

If the idiot is behind the bars, prompt departure from the gene pool is inevitable and arguably a good thing. Idiots on bikes die young in spectacular ways. I'll choose to assume you aren't and won't spend any more time on that topic...

Discounting the squids, in the the majority of motorcycle accidents the motorcyclist is an innocent victim. A cage violated their right of way and ran over them. THEY DID NOTHING WRONG, but it still hurts. Usually a lot. Cage jockeys seem to like creaming bikes... and the punishment for them is minimal to none. Heck, a congressman got drunk and ran over a motorcycle and got the whimpiest slap on the wrist you could imagine... The victim's family is still in disbelief. You MUST accept this - you MUST ride like all the cage jockeys are:

1) Actively trying to kill you

or,

2) Stupid, blind, and uninsured.

Got it? Can you accept and ride like you believe it? Ok you're one of those who can be a safe rider.

So how do we prevent the psychos and idiots from killing or maiming us? You must defensive drive like, well, like you life depends on it! 100% of your concentration must ALWAYS be focused on preventing and avoiding accidents. MUCH more concentration and awareness than you ever thought required in a car. I mean it! I am usually mentally exhausted after a ride on city streets. You will encounter literally thousands of life threatening possibilities every hour.

If you are thinking about clutch, throttle, shifting, balancing, countersteering, how to do a 100% panic brake stop, what to do when the front tire slides out, etc. etc. etc, then you are NOT thinking about avoiding the idiots and are therefore at maximum high risk of being another statistic.

So get a dirt bike and spend a couple hundred hours on it until you are NEVER thinking about what to do to control the bike. It will eventually become 100% subconscious. NOW you are ready to get a streetbike and enter the warzone called public roads.

When you do, look up the Kawasaki EX500 as well. Awesome machine at a great price. Been around close to 20 years and is still being sold as the 500 Ninja.

well from reading your post OR the only thing I can say is if your scared chitless to ride then dont get a bike plain and simple as that.

:clap:

I'm not going to get into youngsters and crotch rockets...

Just be careful, and ride safely, please...

Isnt taking out a Motorcycle with the rider like 1000 points???? Taking out the rider and not touching the bike is like Triple point value :hide:

Used to ride a 1988 Honda Interceptor... Let my Cousin borrow it and he spent 6 months in the hospital... Broken leg, both arms, wrist, shoulder and Collar bones, both sides.... Whats funny is it used to be his bike.....

I have not ridden since... I dont even ride the 4wheelers.... Pathy is way more comfy.....

Perfect case in point... She violated his right of way. But who paid?

Oh, and shame on Ben for not renewing his license. But that shouldn't make it OK for her to run over him. I see she'll have to pay a $106 ticket for that... Oh, the pain!

Not being there, I don't know and couldn't know all the details.

But, there always is the possibility that Ben could have been more attentive and anticipated the cage gropers manuever.

Statistically, the #1 threat to non-drunk motorcyclists is this exact scenario - a right of way violation by a car turning left right in front of the cycle. I know this and my "defensive driving" tactic is to enter every intersection EXPECTING the person approaching from the other direction to make an illegal turn right in front of me. I then time my approach or have an escape plan to avoid them. Especially if the approching car fits one of my "extra risk" profiles. It sucks to have to put that much attention to prevent something that is not my fault, but that is what it takes to avoid getting hurt. Wishing it to be different doesn't help. You must choose from one of the three options:

1) Do it and actively manage the risk. Take lessons. Read books. Pay attention. Choose where you ride, when you ride, what you wear, and drive defensively, defensively, defensively.

2) Avoid the risk. Drive a cage. Heck, might as well just take the next logical step and just sit on your couch and wait to die.

3) Pay the price.

BTW, I also have to point out that if Ben had been wearing proper safety gear, he would have been extremely sore, but no broken bones. The last I heard, the only broken bones were his face. A real helmet would have made a huge difference. Again, it doesn't have to be your fault for it to hurt. You don't wear the gear and make the decisions to protect yourself from yourself, you do it to protect yourself from the idiots.

Edited by mws

A 250 Ninja is a speedy moped, get something you'll grow into a bit like the inline 500's or 600's or maybe the v-twin 650's or 700's. The small bikes will drive you nuts with all the shifting you'll have to do whereas the larger displacement bikes have more torque and allow you to stay in higher gears when cruising around town.

Buy the best safety gear you can afford and wear it.

Remember that a bike will do exactly what you tell it to do. They're pretty unforgiving that way, so know what you're doing before you hit the streets.

Watch for potholes, look left go left, never lock the rear brake, blah blah blah...

Oh, and it will fall over. Whether you're on it or off, parked or riding, your fault or someone elses, even if you don't crash your first bike will hit the asphalt.

Foot slips on a wet leaf while backing the bike out of your garage...BAM!

Kickstand sinks too far into the hot asphalt while you're in the store...BAM!

Guy next to you stalls his bike, loses his balance and his bike falls on yours...BAM!

They're lotsa fun, though. Just be careful.

BTW, yes, a 62 year old woman driving a Chrysler New Yorker would have set off more than one of my high risk alerts!

If the car had been pink, or if the driver was wearing a hat, or was all dented up or in a serious state of neglect, more alarms would have gone off.

Anyone want to bet if she was talking on a cell phone at the time?

Good points mws and JJ... :clap:

Martin, I also tell people to get a dirt bike first, but too many people cant see the importantance, don't have the $ or the place to ride... You are exactly right though.

I read an article years ago about how much action/attention/decisions it takes to drive a car, fly a plane and ride a motorcycle. The scores were something like 600 'things' a minute to drive a car, 1900 to fly a plane and 2200 to ride a motorcycle. No joke... It does take that much attention to avoid the moron cagers; like you a ride as if everyone is an idiot, actively trying to kill me or both. It works so far other than the classic left turn infront of me that caused me to broadside a car at 40... :blink:

LOL JJ, you are absolutely right about dropping the bike. I once pulled up to a stoplight next to a cop, put my foot down (in a puddle of oil) and promptly slipped, stumbled, dropped the bike and rolled away to the side. The cop was laughing so hard he didn't try to help me, not that I blame him. It took me an entire cycle of the light just to pick the bike up while standing in a puddle of oil. Not my finest moment, but not my fault either... :shrug::D

I'd say in order to safely enjoy a motorcycle, you have to be able to control it in any reasonable situation without conscious thought, you have to be able to read and anticipate all the would be murderers around you and you have to be able to read the road at a glance... Pot holes, paint, cat eyes, fluids (dark patches), leaves, gravel, mufflers. matresses and anything else...

Still, for anyone capable a motorcycle is wonderful. The recomendation of an XL250 (or like bike) is excellent. I had a 650 for a while and really want to set up a 400.

B

Oh, only a fool rides without a helmet, specifically a full face unit. When I broadsided the car at 40, I didn't have one on. Don't ask me why I still walk and talk... :shrug:

I agree with jj on this one, don't con yourself into a small displacement bike, it'll just leave you wanting more fast. I ride a suzuki TL1000R, with full race exhast, and my little sister rides a honda firestorm 1000. Both of them are liter bikes, both are V-twins, but my bike is way faster, and hers is a lot more comfortable and streetable. I weigh in at 185, my sis is prob 120-130, her bike actually rides like a 600 (except it has gobs of torque in all gears.) Bikes are dangerous no matter what, I know a bunch of fools that went out and paid top dollar for yamaha scooters, :blink: Don't ask me why, and one of them got hit by a car and ended up in a hospital stay. So it's not what you ride, it's usually someone else hitting you, or cutting you off, and pain is the final solution. But Don't let the "what if" fear dissuade you from buying a bike. They &^%*@$# rule!