abnormal brake fluid use?

BigMike

i noticed that my truck seems to use quite a bit of brake fluid, i see some, what i assume it is, seeping below the reserve on the master cylinder cover. i cant seem to find out what it is. maybe im braking too hard. oh and how hard would it be to upgrade the brake system like the master cylinder to make my truck stop better?

i figure new rotors cause one of mine is a little damged..

It shouldn't use ANY brake fluid. If it's leaking out, you need to pay attention to it before you attempt to avoid a wreck by slamming on the brakes and they blow out completely on you.

There's no aftermarket support for MC's. Just get a new one. I put one on mine, took about 1 hour. I think it cost $40. Rotors aren't cheap, but if you need new ones, then you need new ones. *shrug*

It depends on the amount. If you are filling it daily could me an issue with the master cylinder. If you have a rotor that is bad and you are planning on replacing it yourself you will be able to check it when you bleed the lines. If you have trouble get the pressure to build back up and it takes a large amount of fluid replace the MC. It does sound like the MC.

P.S. If you are going to replace a rotor replace them both.

oh if do replace it i am going to replace both. its not an every day thing, just like every 2-3 months of topping it off. right now its at the mid line and i filled it about 3 months ago. thats why i asked. any other car i had never had this sort of problem. pressure is fine, it stops great but a curiousity that i have about the use of my fluid that gets me. one of the rotors has damage to due to a caliper sticking to the disk and scrapin the heck out of it.

That sounds like it is the caliper being blown that is causing your fluid usage. When the piston seals inside the caliper start to go out it can bleed fluid out. On my previous vehicle it was bleeding onto the disc itself. I think you'll be ok with a swap out on the rotors and you will probably need to replace the caliper on that side. If the M/C is as cheap as above mentioned I would go ahead and swap it out as well. Should be a great weekend project.

about 2 months ago i replaced the calipers, at the time i didnt have cash to replace the rotors and no one here wants to do machining any more. but i think i will replace the master cylinder. time to whip out the ole pocketbook