new guy needs some help

hey ya'll. as it says in my profile i just acquired an '87 4x4 3.0L pathfinder. everything on it is stock. the only mud its ever seen has been from the back 40 (literally). my granddad had a 40 acre farm.

i am looking at spending some cash in a small wish list i have my it. i'd like to get some feedback and advice from those of you who have already done this. pics to come soon.

short range goals:

k&n air filter

3" body lift

custom seat covers for the back seat to match the front (mossy oak)

black push-bumper bumper guard

spare tire rack for the back hatch (currently its in the cargo area)

long range:

4" suspension lift

31x10.5x15

new carpet (preferably vinyl behind the back seat)

westin cargo basket rack

i have found the spare tire rack and the push bumper at 2 local u-pull-its here in town. i'm gettin both for under $50. (if only they knew!) the 3" body kit some coming in the mail (new). that is something i'd never done before. i'll be having help doing it, but will never turn down good advice. also, as far as the push bumper, its one that is welded on. the bumper that is currently attached to the bumper guard aint in the best of shape. so i'd need to replace that one piece.

i've been having a slightly hard time trying to find accessories for that old of a vehicle. any help will be appreciated. :help:

thanks,

robert

Nice score at the JY, the push bar is becoming increasingly hard to find for a good price. Its been discussed and I didn't pay much attention, but I think you might have trouble mounting that tire carrier on a Pathy that didn't have one originally. IIRC, it can be done but its a hassle.

Yeah, they don't make much aftermarket stuff for these. A FL company called Automotive Customizers (4x4parts.com) and Calmini are the prodominant suppliers for suspension and gears and such, other non-vehicle specific goodies can be found all over. Another very small company is L&P Engineering. Good guys. They make a beefy replacement steering setup that really works well and they're supposed to have a supercharger kit in development.

Poke around the forum with the search function if you want more info on certain products and such. Oh, and welcome to NPORA.

Actually you can't mount the external carrier if it didn't come stock, there was internal structures added for the external carrier that aren't present on pathys that didn't come without the carrier. I would put 31x10.5's on a lot sooner if you're going to be adding a 3 inch body lift. It'll look stupid without 'em IMO :D

As already mentioned check out Automotive Customizers (AC) www.4x4parts.com L&P Performance www.lpperformance.com and Calmini www.purenissan.com Also check out www.summitracing.com and www.rocky-road.com for more general performance parts.

Welcome and I hope we can answer any other questions you might have! :aok:

And put up some pictures! :P

WAVEY hello and welcome! also.. for lifts.. hit up trail masters site...

search around, there are a LOT of write ups about mods on the wd-21's.... there's a lot you can do to your pathy.. you just have to turn over some rocks ;)

Actually you can't mount the external carrier if it didn't come stock, there was internal structures added for the external carrier that aren't present on pathys that didn't come without the carrier.

You can put one on. The necessary brackets are the uppers, IIRC the lowers are spotwelded into the body to begin with, but the holes aren't there is all. Nissan sells a kit to bolt one on with a template so you can drill the holes in the right spots.

I did a write-up when I installed my 3" body lift, it is here: http://www.damagedreality.com/tmaster.html

You can put one on. The necessary brackets are the uppers, IIRC the lowers are spotwelded into the body to begin with, but the holes aren't there is all. Nissan sells a kit to bolt one on with a template so you can drill the holes in the right spots.

I did a write-up when I installed my 3" body lift, it is here: http://www.damagedreality.com/tmaster.html

Huh I thought that I read somewhere that they didn't include the structures... Oops :hide:

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 87, too. I have not found a K&N intake system (if thats what you mean) for my car either. I don't think they make them for that old of a pathfinder -thnkboutit- but I've been thinking about making one..pvc pipe + filter. LOL

I have an 87, too. I have not found a K&N intake system (if thats what you mean) for my car either. I don't think they make them for that old of a pathfinder -thnkboutit- but I've been thinking about making one..pvc pipe + filter. LOL

K&n makes a drop in filter replacement, for the 87. I havn't bought one but i've sourced one for my 87. they are like 54 bucks.

The problem with the older nissans is performance upgrades. The biggest problem with the 87's is the TBI. They will work indefinately but no upgrade parts. Most EFI vehicles, you can tweek the ECU, custom exhaust bigger injectors.. ect. but you are stuck with the stock injectors that you have. They are really expensive to replace as well.

but you bought an 87! The original pathfinder! (i always give people crap on this just because i have one, mine is an actual 86.5)

you will enjoy her/him as we all have

• 4 weeks later...