Opening Pathy with somone elses key?

ticker

Not too long ago I was at the gas station and this guy comes up to me and asks if he could borrow my key to open his pathfinder that he just locked himself out of. I'm pretty sceptical and tell him I don't think that will work and he proceed to tell me he's done a few times successfully. So I finish filling up and drive across the street to see whats up. I give him my key he puts it in the lock and presto door is open. WTF. His door lock looked fine, ie no damage from previous attempts at breaking in.

Has anybody here had this experience? Hopefully this won't lead to a rash of stolen pathys.

BTW It was definitely his ride. ;)

I hope :hide:

Edited by ticker

maybe his tumblers were fuggered? in my pick up, the lock looked fine, it worked with the key. but it also worked with a flathead screwdriver.

I've got two similar stories.

Rewind to 1994 - My mom locked the keys in her 1991 Dodge Caravan. We flag down another Caravan owner, and tried their key, it worked.

Fast forward to last winter.

Jeff in his 2005 Xterra Off-Road, Scott in his 2000 Dagger Xterra Special, and Micah in his 2001 Xterra are wheeling in NY. It's cold, they have the windows closed and heaters running. Jeff brought Blu (his Black Lab puppy along for the ride as a playmate for Dagger, Scotts dog). They get out to scout an obstacle, and when they get back, Blu had hit the power lock button and locked the 05.

They freaked out, tried Scotts key in the door and it didnt work, so they started to think about what do to and were like, ok, we're going to have to walk out. Just as they were about to walk out, Micah tries his key in the 05, and presto, door unlocks.

There are only so many possible tumbler configurations you can have with a given key length. Figure the average car key is about 2-2.5 inches in length (the toothey part). Then figure the average tumbler is about 1/10th of an inch, and you can only have so many possible configurations. It is not physically possible to create a unique key to each vehicle, especially for the door locks. Ignition, yes, you can have a transponder in the key to send a signal to the ignition to tell the vehicle it's OK to start - but those are usually only on very expensive vehicles, Lexus, Mercedes, etc.

My pathy has that Venge. It won't start unless it's the right key. If I lose my key, I have to hit up the dealer at the tone of 85 dollars per key. Configured of course.

I tried a copy of the key I keep in my wallet., and it does not turn on the truck.

Not that tough to do the transponders, and not on just expensive cars either... Nissan started using chipped keys on the pathfinder around 2002, and I believe all Nissan vehicles have it now.

yup

my 99.5 has that too

transponder keys can be quite expensive, as randy noted. the dealer i bought my pathy from (who sells lots of lexus, audi, bmw, mercedes, etc) told me about an inexpensive work around for this:

take the transponder out of your key with some tweasers and/or a utility knife. remove the steering column interior panel. with the key in the on position and the chip pressed against the ignition housing, move the chip around watching for the security light to go out. there is only a small area where it will work, but it shouldnt be hard to find. once you find that sweat spot, mark it with a sharpie and glue it in. that is it.

this mod gives two benefits - $6 hardware store keys and remote starter mod without extra security bypass parts.

negative - easier to lift the vehicle since it can be hot wired. but most thieves know which vehicles have the transponder technology and leave you alone. and your security still works.

my dad's 97 ford F150 can be opened and started with my 1989 ford tempo car keys. Its not all the uncommon really, I've seen my friends open lots of their other friend's cars in highschool too. Whether or not its just worn tumblers or whatever, i've seen to be possible.

I started up my girlfriends 95 Honda Accord with my 94 Pathfinder key..

AHAHAHA !!! Now thats funny, I'll have to try my GF's 95 civic with my 95 Pathy key when she gets home !!

Yes, it's not unusual for keys from the same/similiar vehicles to work, the main reason chipped keys were used... :shrug:

B

Yep, I helped a neighborhood guy out years ago at the lake when he jumped in and lost his keys that were in his pocket. We had similar year Mitsubishi's, no problemo. Same with my old 83 Cutlass, a few other GM keys could start it. Just a combination of similar stuff being used across a manufacturer's line along with old tired parts.

I'm surprised my key still works all the teeth are so worn down...

Too bad none of my friends drive pathfinders, otherwise I might have some fun...

*something tells me that everyone is going to be keeping an eye on their pathfinders at the next NPORA meet :P *

I'm surprised my key still works all the teeth are so worn down...

Too bad none of my friends drive pathfinders, otherwise I might have some fun...

*something tells me that everyone is going to be keeping an eye on their pathfinders at the next NPORA meet :P *

True that, I forgot about that part. My key for the old 720 wore down so bad that I went to get in one day and it just broke off in the door. I was so thankful for tweezers and a plastic credit card spare I had, along with an old-skool locksmith who could make a replacement using the plastic spare since it was the only key left for the truck. :o Long live the trades!