A breath of life

RedPath88

So she took a breath of life and her heart started beating once again.

It was a bit of a fight, she spit and sputtered and tried to kill me with the foul cloud of stench that she emitted from her back end.. but she's alive and kicking once again.

After a few minutes of smoking it stopped... of course I had to run in and get box fan even after opening the garage doors (no wind for the first time in a week or so). Must remember to get a an exhaust vent hose for the garage.. by chance does anybody know if something from Home Depot will work for that?

Idle is high and after warmed up is started surging from 1750 down to about 1200. I did discover one thing thou.. the RPMs would stabilize at 1500 if I had the AC on.

Tomorrow I plan on picking up some vacuum line and replacing all of them. Looks like I am also going to have to buy a new battery for it too. I ended up using the Yota's because the Paths would not take a charge, I'll let it sit on the charger all night and part of tomorrow before I label it as dead.

Oh and one more minor thing... the fan clutch engaged the first time what seemed to be a little late... but once it did it cycled on and off normally.

Any suggestions on the above are welcome :aok:

Cool Bud !! Sounds like you are almost there...

Replacing the vacuum lines is a good plan; connecting them all correctly is even better... :D That may very well solve the surging and high idle. Did you check the ECU for problem codes ? ;)

B

After months with a dead or no battery at all (nine months since it last ran) I don't think there were any ;)

But yeah, I will check them now that it has run for a while :aok:

I did find a fault with the FSM.. the vacuum line layout diagrams leave something to be desired. I think I have them right, but you never know. :shrug:

If someone with a 2DR (TBI VG30i) has the time, it would be great if they could write up the proper layout for them :aok:

Edited by RedPath88

vacuum lines woulda been my first thought. but i would check plugs and make sure they are connected in the right order maybe?

its got a carb right? have u looked into it - those would be my next ideas there.

sweet sounds like progress...loooks like the swap w/ wheelmans motor is going 2 prolong my 87 running again...esp after i dropped his FA on my hand 2day & going 2 the er...so hopefully in 2 weeks i can finish the pull & start the install...would like 2 start this wekend but i dont think the gf is gonna let that happen (she was yellin at me once we got back & i was tryin 2 help clean up the tools...

but congrats red...hope u get her all tweaked out & give her a good mud bath

DAMN, hope you are OK Bud !!

Replaced all the vacuum lines.. and no trouble codes. But its still doing as described above.

I was hoping it would be that easy, but I guess not... :angry:

My old d720 would do that sometimes but then it would go away. I just ignored it after I couldn't find the issue.

Could you have an intake leak ?? It's obviously air/ gas/ sensor related... I don't know the TBI well but isn't there a fast idle valve with a mechanical dingus ? Check/clean that ? The manual lists too many little items for me to be helpful. I'm afraid it's one of those 'have to be there and play with it' things. Hopefully someone else has been there and solved it. Good luck and be patient... :beer:

B

vacuum lines woulda been my first thought. but i would check plugs and make sure they are connected in the right order maybe?

its got a carb right? have u looked into it - those would be my next ideas there.

TBI - Throttle Body Injection

sweet sounds like progress...loooks like the swap w/ wheelmans motor is going 2 prolong my 87 running again...esp after i dropped his FA on my hand 2day & going 2 the er...so hopefully in 2 weeks i can finish the pull & start the install...would like 2 start this wekend but i dont think the gf is gonna let that happen (she was yellin at me once we got back & i was tryin 2 help clean up the tools...

but congrats red...hope u get her all tweaked out & give her a good mud bath

Thanks.. and I hope your hand is alright

I was hoping it would be that easy, but I guess not...  :angry:

Hopefully someone else has been there and solved it. Good luck and be patient...  :beer:

Yeah me too.. on both points.

Could you have an intake leak ??
I sprayed the hell out the the mating surfaces of the TB/manifodl and manifold/heads, but could not located a problem.

It's obviously air/ gas/ sensor related... I don't know the TBI well but isn't there a fast idle valve with a mechanical dingus ? Check/clean that ?
Yeah... will have to try that.

Oh one other thing I noticed today,if I raise the RPM's myself then the surging stops.

Yep, same with my d720 (carburated). It would surge (occasionally) at idle at a stoplight, etc once warmed up, but if I stepped on the gas to get the rpm to 1500+, it would not interfere and run smooth. Then, if I let off the gas, it would drop to idle (800 rpm) and surge between that and 1300ish rpm... Didn't do it while driving either. :shrug:

Then the next day it would be fine... Like I said, I never did figure it out, but then I olny drove it to work (3 miles) and planned to sell it, so I didn't look too hard.

I'd just check/clean/replace the vacuum diaphrams and mechanical units in the order of cheapest/easiest first if you don't have a particular idea... I'm suprised 88 hasn't chimed in !! :P

B

Oh, I just remembered, with the fast idle valve, there was a bit about adjusting it... I'll reference the manual tomorrow, unless you have one and can read ?? :D

Scout the heighborhoods to find a similar pathy. I found someone with a 94 in my parents neighborhood and I have frequently stopped over to take a look at his truck (to make sure I had things hooked back up correctly). Live is always ebtter than pictures and definately better than the FSM

Not sure how the "brain" works on the Nissan, but here's an experience on my TBI'd '87 Chevy.

I swapped the wheezer 305 for a honking HT383 engine. As the new TBI and chip were not here yet, I put the old TBI and computer in hoping it would be close enough to get her running so I could move it.

It fired up OK, but didn't idle real well for a few minutes. After about 10 minutes, it smoothed out and idled OK. The computer was adjusting itself.

Then I discovered I had not hooked the BIG vacuum line to the MC booster. That made for one HECK of a vacuum leak! So I connected it and started it again. Now it would not idle at all. It would just stumble and die. So I kept her running at about 500 to 1000 rpm with the throttle and let it drop down to idle, almost die, and then open her up again. Continued for about 5 minutes, then let her cool and repeat. After 3 cycles, the computer had readjusted itself and idled well again.

So I proved the ECU in my TBI'd '87 Chevy DID learn and remap itself to some degree. Maybe the Nissan will as well? If the battery was stone cold dead, it had to revert to the "default" map that is not as optimal as it needs to be.

Please continue to let us know the outcome!

I'd just check/clean/replace the vacuum diaphrams and mechanical units in the order of cheapest/easiest first if you don't have a particular idea... I'm suprised 88 hasn't chimed in !!  :P
Already found one that was gummed up, removed and cleaned it.. will continue looking for more.
Oh, I just remembered, with the fast idle valve, there was a bit about adjusting it... I'll reference the manual tomorrow, unless you have one and can read ??  :D
Yup got one.. not sure about the ability to read though... will have to get back to you on that one :lol:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scout the heighborhoods to find a similar pathy.  I found someone with a 94 in my parents neighborhood and I have frequently stopped over to take a look at his truck (to make sure I had things hooked back up correctly).  Live is always ebtter than pictures and definately better than the FSM

Yep, have been on the lookout.. but now that I want to find one, there are no 2DRs to be found :angry:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I proved the ECU in my TBI'd '87 Chevy DID learn and remap itself to some degree.  Maybe the Nissan will as well?  If the battery was stone cold dead, it had to revert to the "default" map that is not as optimal as it needs to be.

Please continue to let us know the outcome!

Have to pick up a new battery, once I do I'll keep trying that... maybe Nissan ECU's are smart :shrug:

You could try unplugging the idle-up solenoid valve and the FICD solenoid valve one at a time to see if either is causing the oscillation. Those are the two screw-in hex head dealies on the pass. side of the TBI with two wires each. You can also unplug the EGR valve vaccuum line and plug that off to see if that does anything.

The problem with idle and surging problems is that quite a few different things can cause it, so you have to sit down and really go through the top of the engine to make sure everything's working.

Rami posted some pictures of his vac lines for me and between those pics showing me two vac lines that I had in the wrong places and tweaking the idle speed she's now idling at a steady 800rpm :aok:

Weird thing about it is that the original vac lines laid out perfectly the way I had them.. but they seem to have been wrong...

As Scott suggested I will try to talk a local 2DR owner into letting me look at his/her rigs vac line layout.. just to make sure everything is as I interpreted it in the pics. Perhaps I can even recruit a new member in the process -thnkboutit-

Thanks to everyone who voiced ideas and opinions here... "hopefully" this is solved for good.

I have the shift boot and carpet back in. Tomorrow I plan on buying a battery and reinstalling the T-Bars, crossmember and drivelines... oh and the hood. Not sure if I will be able to make it to the licensing office before they close, but maybe that too.

connecting them all correctly is even better...

Ehem... :D

Cool, glad you got it figured out !! As 88 said, issues like that can be real head scratchers...

B