Pathfinder UPGRADES

Guest CHEVEL67NI

Guest CHEVEL67NI

GENTLEMEN

I am finally getting to upgrade the Pathfinder. I just ordered Thorley ceramic coated headers and Borla SS exhaust from Summit. I am thinking of adding the JWT Pop Charger, is it worth it? Should I go with the Stillen unit? Also I am going to get rid of the stock converter and replace it with a hi flow unit, what kind of converter does my year of Pathfinder have? Any help would be appreciated.

I will post pics of the headers and exhaust once I get it.

Thanks

Nicholas

I can't currently find listings for a Pop Charger for Pathfinder applications, nor a Stillen intake. I do know that you can buy a generic 3" cone filter, a Nissan intake adapter plate and put your own $120-$200 intake kit together for less than $75 if you find the right parts.

i gotta question about headers...

is there any way to get those thorleys to fit an automatic? i know it will need some modification but how much, if not then i will go with the pacesetters. after what i heard from 88 thats not the road i wanna go...

I wish someone would fab-up a bunch of crossover pipes for our year w/ AT. I'm not equipped for any custom exhaust work and I'm frellin' tired of these manifolds.

Guest CHEVEL67NI

PD210-1231X Pop-Charger air intake system $159.00 1990-95 V6 Truck and Pathfinder from Jim Wolf

402920-This is the "High Flow Intake" from Stillen. It doesn say what year to what year it just says for Pathfinders with TPI.

Im not sure about the headers fitting the AT trucks. I really dont know why though.

Ill check on the KN Filters.

Nick

Pacesetter headers don't fit auto Pathys either. You have to have the crossover pipe cut to fit for both the Thorleys and the Pacesetters. Any exhaust shop worth their salt should be able to do that easily and not charge too much for it. Personally, I'd install the headers at home and drive merrily on down to the shop, blaring away. :D It'd save a TON on install costs.

CHEVEL67NI: Wow. Yeah, you can do better by finding the filter and adapter for less...but it's your money. :)

Guest CHEVEL67NI

Well tell me what I need and where to get it, Ill all for saving money where I can.

Thanks

Nick

Guest WhiteNismoPathfinder95

what intake adapters are there....Nismo makes one that is listed in the 2002-2003 catalog for $100 dealer net (family business: Nissan dealership)....other wise i will resort to fabing somthing up to make the Spencer Low one for a VG33 off my brothers old one work, or using a VG33 MAF housing with the stock sensor to put the SLR one on......HELP!!!

by the way, thanks for the header trick on having an exhaust shop fab a crossover

and on the Hi-flow cat, skip it, remove it and jam some type of large rod through it....this will give less restriction for free, yet still reduces the noises that would come with a straight-pipe

-luke-newbie-

bend, oregon

well its not an actual confersion, and i still need to see if it actualy works....but wnat i was going to do, was use the MAF sensor body, or housing if you will, from a VG33 , with the stock sensor on MY car.....this is hopefully going to work.....if everything lines up the way i would like it to

this would only be the cheaper option if you already have the 3.3 intake parts....say stillen, SLR, or Nismo (R-Tune can run up to $240...solid pipes, cone filter, heat shield!)

otherwise i will spend the cash on the actual part

hey, by the way....anybody know of a snorkel?

well i checked the and the screws on the 3.3 are further apart....failue...i will try the who 3.3 MAF assembly, but im guessing the codes are different from the VG30E

Guest masamar

I went to my local ricer shop and asked for an air intake adapter. Cost $15 adn came from weapon*R, I think. Then just went and got a 3in universal K&N cone filter and strapped it to the adaptor. This will give the same effect as the pop charger as far as I can tell. If you can't find the adapter there is a way to take the air box out and keep the little gold colored piece that connects to the air flow sensor. then just get some fuel line and wrap it around the ridge of the gold piece to keep a tight seal. I think that you then get a filter with 3.75 to 4in opening and put it on the gold piece. there was a web page showing this process, maybe 88pathoffroad will remember it. anyway, good luck. pathys need all the power they can get! P...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest drunken_rice

i checked out the jimbennet site and was wondering if anyone knew if you could use a larger cone filter and would it make any difference if you did.... i really wish i would have found out about this place before i bought a box style k&n air filter :angry: ... i wanted to do the fipk but they dont make one for pathy's.... glad to see there are ways..... -bounce- :D

• 3 years later...
I can't currently find listings for a Pop Charger for Pathfinder applications, nor a Stillen intake. I do know that you can buy a generic 3" cone filter, a Nissan intake adapter plate and put your own $120-$200 intake kit together for less than $75 if you find the right parts.

Hey 88,

U wouldn't happen to have part numbers that i would need for this air intake conversion would you?

The generic cone filter would be a K&N?

And the adapter plate, is that a Nissan 'dealer' only item?

It seems that there are no air intake kits up here in canada for the 92 Pathy. :(

thanks so much for your help.

al

Edited by AlMac

No he was talking about an adaptor for the MAF, it's an aftermarket only part. This one would probably work: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97-NISSA...9QQcmdZViewItem I have heard of a few people use those. I used one made by Spectre Performance for mine, they also make intake tube parts so you can make a custom Pop-charger style intake.

Edited by GrimGreg

do you guys think there is any performance difference between jim wolf pop charger or stillen high flow or k&n cone ? THANKS !

there wasn't much of a performance change from a K&N in my pathfinder, i didn't see a performance change until i removed the tubing that goes into the fender. and there was more of a change from boring out the MAF than installing the K&N/removing the tube.

there wasn't much of a performance change from a K&N in my pathfinder, i didn't see a performance change until i removed the tubing that goes into the fender. and there was more of a change from boring out the MAF than installing the K&N/removing the tube.

Honestly, although the MAF is a small restriction in the intake system, I can't see much of a gain in power from boring it, unless you have supporting mods, such as upgraded cams, headers, etc. Do you have dyno data from your modded MAF? Just curious. I'm not doubting that it made a slight difference.

As for intakes, if you want a JWT intake, you can get one made for an early Sentra SE-R. I happened to have on laying around. It's not a perfect fit, but almost. I just had to slot the MAF bolt holes slightly in order to bolt up to the JWT intake.

Honestly, although the MAF is a small restriction in the intake system, I can't see much of a gain in power from boring it, unless you have supporting mods, such as upgraded cams, headers, etc. Do you have dyno data from your modded MAF? Just curious. I'm not doubting that it made a slight difference.

As for intakes, if you want a JWT intake, you can get one made for an early Sentra SE-R. I happened to have on laying around. It's not a perfect fit, but almost. I just had to slot the MAF bolt holes slightly in order to bolt up to the JWT intake.

dyno for a MAF? :thumbsdown: all i've got is intake, and a glasspack muffler. have you looked at the opening for the MAF? its tiny. .250 over is going to be quite a difference in flow. and this forum is where i got the idea for it, plenty of talk about how the MAF is the most restrictive part of the intake. i'll put it this way, with the k&n, the glasspack, and the bored out maf, i kept up with a new xterra to 60.

Edited by Adam

No he was talking about an adaptor for the MAF, it's an aftermarket only part. This one would probably work: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97-NISSA...9QQcmdZViewItem I have heard of a few people use those. I used one made by Spectre Performance for mine, they also make intake tube parts so you can make a custom Pop-charger style intake.

I was just looking at the spectre performance site.

So what did you use for your intake?

#8208 Universal Modular kit or #8075 Air flow sensor Mount 3" Chrome

and a #8132 Cone air filter? :shrug:

sorry if i sem a bit slow, but im pretty new at this intake mod thing. :rolleyes:

thanks much.

dyno for a MAF? :thumbsdown: all i've got is intake, and a glasspack muffler. have you looked at the opening for the MAF? its tiny. .250 over is going to be quite a difference in flow. and this forum is where i got the idea for it, plenty of talk about how the MAF is the most restrictive part of the intake. i'll put it this way, with the k&n, the glasspack, and the bored out maf, i kept up with a new xterra to 60.

Like I said, I'm not doubting it made a slight difference. And drag races don't prove much. Too many variables. Sorry, I live in the Pathfinder world and Nissan's sports car worlds, and in the sports car forums, there's lots of people talking about how much more power they feel from a mod, but most of their improved "power" is in their heads. That's why they're always disappointed when they end up dyno'ing their car. I know how small the opening of the MAF is, which is why I believe that it does give you more power to bore it out. I'm just saying that without supporting mods, it's not going to be a huge increase.

Edited by Spooled