Changing auto tranny fluid?

BobbyD

I have a '94 and I am looking at the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual and it does not even mention changing the auto transmission fluid. I believe the '95 owner's manual is the same as the '94. Where does it mention to change the auto transmission fluid? What line on the maintenance schedule in the back does it say to change it?

If anyone else knows, that would be great.

My 92 owners manual says for it to be inspected every 15,000 miles and changed every 30,000 miles.

Nothing changed from 92 to 94 as far as engine/transmission so 30,000 miles changes is still on the maintence schedule.

Yes, I believe the factory fill was J type. Dex III or Dex Iv (VI?) can both be used. Ones a syn though.

Or just buy a non-factory pan filter.

Factory fill was "Genuine Nissan ATF", according to the FSM, which was probably Matic D. Dexron IV does not exist; VI does. VI is synthetic and a licensed fluid, so any fluid you buy today will meet the minimum spec. Dexron III and its variants are no longer licensed, so you are never truly sure whether it meets the spec anymore.

• 3 months later...

Ok, I will be replacing my trans filter and fluid soon and have a question. If you pull the tranny lines from the cooler and run the engine for a few seconds to pump out the fluid do you do this before draining the pan? And if so would it be ok to use some cheap fluid to add to the tranny while doing this to flow more fluid out? Than drop the pan and replace the filter and than refill?

• 1 month later...

I would probably drain via the drain plug, drop the pan and change the strainer, button it back up, add a gallon of cheap Dex 3 fluid then use your preferred fluid via the cooler return line (entire transmission capacity + 2 to 4 quarts).

• 1 year later...

Yea, changed mine today and drained 4 quarts out then replaced with same amount running fine so far.I must have done something right.Next project will be the trans cooler and inline filter.And changing out the transfer case and front and rear differentials.

When I changed mine all I did was pull the drain plug. About 1 gallon came out, I installed a tranny cooler and put 1 gallon back in. To bring it up to the high hot mark it ended up taking another quart. I should have pulled the pan but the fluid looks perfectly clean so I ain't sweating it. YMMV

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey guys this thread is awesome! I have a 95 SE A/T and have been working in auto part sales for the last 10 years (whole adult life I'll admit). I have been pushing the valvoline max-life for years because it's wide range of compatibility with all different manufacturers. I recently discovered Castrol Transmax. Didn't pay alot of attention to it at first until a customer asked me about it. I noticed right away that instead of covering just about everything it seemed to be more geared to Japanese transmissions. I did a little research and found that in comparison it carries fewer "fillers" just as excessive friction modifier which can interfere with heat dissipation from what I've been told. It is the same price too. My SE has 280k miles and the original transmission, I'm going to give the Castrol a chance and see how it goes. I'm thinking about adding Lubeguard platinum to helping keep things smooth. Any of you have any advice or experience with these products?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

All good I just put a big magnet on the out side of the pan and every time I change my fluids it collects all the metal and gunk ?. I have never done a flush just because I heard it was bad for a older trans but I'll try it .?

• 3 weeks later...

I need to get some info from all that has changed auto tranny fluids regularly....I'm planning on taking the tranny out of my parts pathy that has about 100-150 miles on it. Yes, it's new. Stopped driving the Pathy once I found out that the frame was WAY TOO GONE & UNSAFE. So, it's been sitting for a few years now. I'm thinking about draining the fluids & refilling once in my other Pathy. Planning on putting the tranny cooler on also. So, that being said.....What type of tranny fluid should I use? I've heard Royal Purple & AMSOIL are really good...Knowing that it's new & fresh fluids, I will plan on changing fluid on a regular basis...20k-30k miles, or 10k less?

• 2 months later...

I'm lucky I have a drain nut on my pan, so every 2nd oil change I do the trans fluid. I know it's like $48 for trans fluid but I'd rather replace the old stuff rather than leave it until it's too late. To me, the auto trans is like a ticking time bomb, you never know when, so to me it's prevention ($48) is better than the cure ($2,000 at mechanics)

Been refreshing my auto trans fluid since I needed it rebuilt and it's been going great since 2009 and well over 120,000 kms on it so far without any problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok, this thread has been awesome. I'm going to be changing out my tranz fluid in the am, and this has really helped me out. REALLY glad I found this forum.

I'll fill you in on any issues, etc.

Wish me luck! HA!

~Hans

• 4 weeks later...

Damn, Adam, chill out a bit...

What I was told from Nissan Master tech that frequents this site is that Dexron III/Merkon is perfectly adequate, but might need more frequent changes due to heat specs.

That said, my 1995 needs new fluid, so I'll probably flush it out with some D3/M and then add the Castrol Transmax.

I've had good luck with Castrol products over the last 20-30 years. Maybe there is something better, but hey, maybe the brand is to be trusted in this application?

B

I've used normal Castrol Dexron III and I find it doesn't shift as nice but still it works as it should. Castrol Multivehicle is what I use and it's a bit more expensive but it's the best. I had my trans rebuilt nearly 200k ago and it's still going strong.

• 2 weeks later...

Dexron III (Castrol) is a generic brand that doesn't specify which vehicle it's designed for. Although it works, I feel the trans doesn't shift as nicely as Castrol Multivehicle because Multivehicle is specifically designed for 'Asian Vehicles' and because Terrano is Japanese built and the trans is Jatco it's built in Japan too. Multivehicle fluid is a darker red too while the generic brand is more a strawberry color so I believe the darker red has a better viscosity based on it's color being 'thicker'.

As for the air temp question, both generic Dexron III and multivehicle both heat up at about the same temperatures, the trans should take 4-5 mins from a cold start, to warm up to 82 Celsius (179 F) about the same temp as the thermostat opens to allow coolant flow, at that stage, overdrive lock up can then occur. During the warm up stage, only 3rd gear is available which is a pain sometimes but it does this to warm up the trans faster. In summer temps, this warm up takes less time. I would say anything over 75 F it's a lot quicker than say if the outside temp was 60 F.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

The only way to make any automatic transmission last is to service it regularly. In most applications 50,000 miles is an acceptable serivice interval, however in rough service applications you should consider cutting that in half. Having been a mechanic for more than 30 years I can tell you that I have seen it all. Machinery simply will not wear out if it is kept lubricated with good, clean lubricant. You can never change oil 'too often'.

On the flip side, however...if you ever find yourself in possession of a vehicle with high miles that has never had an auto trans service, the very worst thing you can do is change the oil in that transmission. Chances are it won't make it back from the post oil change test drive...lol. I have seen this happen dozens and dozens of times. So much so that I actually make people sign waivers when they want me to service their high mileage auto trans's without any known history.