Towability of '97 Pathfinder SE

Guest JSB

I am considering buying a 97 Pathfinder SE 4x4 with an automatic tranny. My question to you: Is this vehicle setup transmission/transfer case wise for towing behind another vehicle? The owner's manual that was in the car wasn't explicite on the subject. Any help is appreciated.

With an auto, if it doesnt already have one, you'll need to put an external transmission cooler on it. Also, it has a 5000lb towing capacity, which I think is very optimistic. My Pathy has a hard time pulling my VW Rabbit on a lightweight trailer up steep hills.

Vengeful thanks for the response, but what I am looking for is info on the Pathfinder being the towed vehicle.

well.. the average pathy weighs 4200lbs... you do the math with whatever vehicle you plan on usin to tow it with. if you tow correctly, no harm will come to the pathy.

To safely use a Pathfinder as a dinghy (towed behind an RV), you will need to do the following:

1) Install manual hubs on the front wheels.

2) Disconnect the rear driveshaft whenever it's towed.

See attached info from the 97 owner's manual.

Edited by XPLORx4

I have towed a lot of 4x4 R50 pathfinders from the rear (even my own) with no problems. The front driveline is disengaged in 2wd.

I wouldn't recommend it for long distances (over 25 mi), get all 4 wheels off the ground.

I also towed an R50 pathfinder upside down on it's roof once (on a flatbed, bad crash) it worked quite well.

Edited by FUELER