Transmission or clutch problem on 05

Guest dcogburn

Guest dcogburn

I've had my PF for 4 weeks it has 1800 miles and the transmission or clutch or something related is slipping upon acceleration. I compare the feeling to someone slowly letting out a clutch on a manual transmission and then popping it right near the end of letting out the clutch causing a sudden lurch. It feels like it's trying to grab the gear and then when it does after a seond or two it lurches forward and all is well after that. It occurs when

* I decellerate and then accelerate.

* When I decelerate to a stop, wait a second or two then accelerate.

It does not occur when

* I decellerate to a stop wait 20 seconds (like at a red light) then accelerate.

I have an appt with the dealership but thought I'd post up and see if anyone had any ideas.

--David

Umm people.... he never actually "said" it was a manual... only compared it to how a manual would act under certain conditions -thnkboutit-

I compare the feeling to someone slowly letting out a clutch on a manual transmission and then popping it right near the end of letting out the clutch causing a sudden lurch.  It feels like it's trying to grab the gear and then when it does after a seond or two it lurches forward and all is well after that.

David, having it looked at is by far the best thing you could do. It could be a number of things but any time a transmission acts in such a way, it is time to stop driving it immediately and get it in to be checked :aok:

Edited by RedPath88

Guest dcogburn

Yes obviously it's an automatic, that goes without saying which is why I didn't specify explicitly. I'm not a mechanic but I thought even automactic trannies had some kind of clutch or clutch-like mechanism as part of the overall transmission. Something is definetly is haywire. Once up to speed, or more precisely once the gear is fully engaged it drives fine. It's the changing of the gear at slow speed that I notice the slipping. I don't feel any slipping going from 2nd to 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th at typical speeds. Once Nissan fixes I'll report back and tell you what it was.

Guest dcogburn

Ok, so here's the dealio...there was a leak in the seal that sits "between the front of the tranny and the back of the tranny" (dealership's quote). I leaked 3 of the 10 quarts of fluid which was enough to offset the pressure and cause the problem. When asked why/how this happened they said it was likely a slip-up in the install of the seal at the factory. They say it's fixed and good to go!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AussieR51

Hi, greetings from Australia!

I have an `05 Pathfinder 2.5L TD with a 6 speed manual trans. I recently took a trip from Adelaide to Sydney along the coast road (approx 3500KM) this was with my Caravan on tow.

We got to the Blue Mountains and noticed the clutch was slipping.We had only done a total of 7800KM from new. As it was my first time towing a Caravan I thought that I had been doing something wrong but was sure I had been towing "by the book".

We took it to the nearest Nissan dealer and they found the underside of the vehicle covered in gearbox oil!!

They pulled the `box out and found a seal inside the bellhousing was, well, not sealing!

Nissan Australia were VERY keen to get the trans back to thier HQ in Melbourne so they sent up a brand new replacement gearbox and took the old one back to thier research and development labs (I think they were concerned as to whether it might be a re-call issue!).

We also have had many interior trim quality issues and it has also recently developed a "Rattle" from the engine, oh and the Emergency Brake cable rattles too!

All this and the 2 re-calls (prop shaft bolts coming loose and possible loss of steering due to a manufacturing fault).

So there`s my story, not real happy with my NEW Pathfinder. I think it can always be a problem with a new model as the development of the vehicle is often placed into the hands of us Guinea Pigs (general public)!

Cheers

Graham.

post-23-1141610102.jpg

Hey Graham,

Yeah so many things are sent out for public use before being fully tested these day's.

So Nissan took it back? sounds to me like you may not be the first one to have that problem. But at least they got you all set up with a replacement... hope it did not take to much arguing or time to get that fixed.

Keep us posted on what experiences you have with them and your new truck.

BTW... it is a nice looking truck :aok:

Scott

Edited by RedPath88

Guest AussieR51

They fixed it up in 4 days (including the weekend)no hassles whatsoever.

I don`t trust the thing a far as I can throw it though!!

But like you say it looks good!

It`s just very dissapointing when you shell out all that money, especially for a vehicle with such a good reputation, must be the new model thing like I said.

Cheers

Graham.