Do you have other Pets?

Slick

ga_canal3.jpg

ga_tankgirl.jpg

SNOWRIDE.JPG

Found her as a puppy on the side of the road starving. Vet said her growth would be stunted, and he was right. This is as big as she ever got. I make a killing with my black lab "puppy". She loves going on trips, and is fascinated with 4L. She seems to enjoy trains and jets we see during our travels, but dislikes 18 wheelers.

Haven't been able to find the camera to get any pics but as of today

2-short hair cats Kitty(I know original, I named her) and Sherbert(my mini-me aka moron)

2 beta fish-I don't know if they have names or not

2 finch birds- Pingin and Pigeon

and 1 leopard geko-Lizzard(also original,not named by me)

Have a 20gal aquarium that comes and goes and ocasionally rodents in cages as well but not right now

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

So I guess we revive this thread for our dogs and such since my new one has been locked...OK, I searched but missed it. Thanks for the link here.

Not sure what he's lookin' at but it must look tasty..

IMG_20140323_142133_999_zpseb5a06e0.jpg

A goofy male with my goofy daughter..

Me__Ambrose_zpsnmgvigt7.jpg

and our female pit with our son

580_zps937397ea.jpg

So I guess we revive this thread for our dogs and such since my new one has been locked...OK, I searched but missed it. Thanks for the link here.

Finally, someone besides me who shamelessly resurrects long dead threads.

• Like 1

Finally, someone besides me who shamelessly resurrects long dead threads.

That's the point OF searching and having access to past threads (and if you go back to the guidelines which I'm SURE everyone has read, is what #5 is about).

Not sure what he's lookin' at but it must look tasty..

IMG_20140323_142133_999_zpseb5a06e0.jpg

A goofy male with my goofy daughter..

Me__Ambrose_zpsnmgvigt7.jpg

and our female pit with our son

580_zps937397ea.jpg

Good looking dogs, but I have to be honest, I've never been a fan of those collars...

B

Having done a lot of pit rescue, training and rehoming and my children working with over excited dogs I make sure they have a way to control them if they get frisky with other animals or people, I don't want an accident adding to the breeds already misunderstood reputation. My children know to use just a quick correction only when needed for safety reasons and not allow them to pull or guide them with the pinch collars. They are not cruel collars or a punishment when used correctly. Our dogs don't fear them or coward when they are used. Unfortunately some people who don't know better use them as every day collars and I agree, that's not cool.

Good looking dogs, but I have to be honest, I've never been a fan of those collars...

B

I use to feel the same way B, until I started using one for my dog. My wife is only just a little heavier than our dog and when the dog got excited she could pull her anywhere she wanted. I tried a choke type collar but that didn't work and I was worried about damaging the dogs throat. Next we tried a "gentle leader" type device that wraps around the dogs snout. it kinda' worked but the dog was always trying to rub her face into the ground to get it off, she really didn't like having it on. also people on the sidewalk thought it was a muzzle and were afraid of being bitten. Big black and tan dog with a strap around it's nose looks like trouble.

so anyway, we had been through puppy school and the dog actually walks well on the leash, however there are always moments when my wife needed just a bit of leverage. Once you understand how they work they become much less cruel looking.

Unlike a choke collar they have a built in stop that prevents the collar from acting like a noose. so your dog doesn't get choked at all and the barbs are there to act like teeth of another dog. A mother dog will correct her puppies by "biting" them on the back of the neck. this is what the collar is trying to simulate. Before I tried it on the dog I put it around my arm and yanked on it. it doesn't hurt at all.

Now we only use it on walks, and when I reach for it the dog is happy because she knows she is coming with. And my wife is happy because she isn't being dragged around the neighbourhood.

They are not for all dogs though, and it is not a replacement for proper training, but when you have a large, head strong dog they do help.

I use to feel the same way B, until I started using one for my dog. My wife is only just a little heavier than our dog and when the dog got excited she could pull her anywhere she wanted. I tried a choke type collar but that didn't work and I was worried about damaging the dogs throat. Next we tried a "gentle leader" type device that wraps around the dogs snout. it kinda' worked but the dog was always trying to rub her face into the ground to get it off, she really didn't like having it on. also people on the sidewalk thought it was a muzzle and were afraid of being bitten. Big black and tan dog with a strap around it's nose looks like trouble.

so anyway, we had been through puppy school and the dog actually walks well on the leash, however there are always moments when my wife needed just a bit of leverage. Once you understand how they work they become much less cruel looking.

Unlike a choke collar they have a built in stop that prevents the collar from acting like a noose. so your dog doesn't get choked at all and the barbs are there to act like teeth of another dog. A mother dog will correct her puppies by "biting" them on the back of the neck. this is what the collar is trying to simulate. Before I tried it on the dog I put it around my arm and yanked on it. it doesn't hurt at all.

Now we only use it on walks, and when I reach for it the dog is happy because she knows she is coming with. And my wife is happy because she isn't being dragged around the neighbourhood.

They are not for all dogs though, and it is not a replacement for proper training, but when you have a large, head strong dog they do help.

All you need for any dog is a 6 foot leash and a martingale collar.

You are both right...dogs communicate via their neck...been corrected that way since they were handled by their mother. A martingale collar hangs like a necklace until you tighten it to provide the quick correction...all you need to do is stimulate the dogs brain to focus on you to remind them who is in charge...you don't need picks to do that. Like RCAR50 mentions its all about the speed of the correction...and most importantly your body position.

I've been fostering and training all breeds large and small over the last 10 years and have learned a lot through those experiences. I use 'umbilical' training and it works for any dog. You can train any dog in 2 weeks if you use that time to teach/show them the lessons of life.

With dogs its show me don't tell me. Dogs are visual creatures and are wired to followed motion. If you see the homeless they are proof of this fact...you don't hear them telling their dogs to come etc...its the simple principle of I'm the leader...I move you move. So that is the type of training you need to practice.

You train when you are at home with the dog and on walks...its simple...you take your 6 foot leash and loop it through the hand hole and use it as a belt. With the dog attached you are now going about your daily chores and the dog gets to learn important lessons of I move when leader moves. This is when you do your sit stay practice. On walks you can up the challenge...hard sprints and hitting the brakes...run then go right/left...walk between cars/trees...stimulate the dog and get them to follow...run up and down park benches...make it your own. Walking in a straight line is very boring for a smart dog.

Good stuff with taking in Pits...they are great dogs and by far the easiest to train of any breed I've encountered. I've even taken one sledding with my husky and they are naturals at the sport. I agree there is too much breed racism when it comes to dogs.

If anyone wants training suggestions on how to cure behavioural issues they have with their dog just PM me and I'll walk you through what to do. You can always modify behaviour if you know how to take charge.

• Like 1

Having done a lot of pit rescue, training and rehoming and my children working with over excited dogs I make sure they have a way to control them if they get frisky with other animals or people, I don't want an accident adding to the breeds already misunderstood reputation. My children know to use just a quick correction only when needed for safety reasons and not allow them to pull or guide them with the pinch collars. They are not cruel collars or a punishment when used correctly. Our dogs don't fear them or coward when they are used. Unfortunately some people who don't know better use them as every day collars and I agree, that's not cool.

Fair enough, I just guess I'm used to seeing the idiots who don't know how and when to use them and use them as a substitute for proper training.

Not every dog owner should be one, and don't get me started on the moron down the street who would yell at his dogs and yank violently on their leashes, all while the dogs were trying to obey/please but were confused by conflicting commands/signals.

I have no issue with pitbulls, having been around someone who bred them. I've seen everything from the normal, well trained dog, the one who belonged chained to a tree in the yard, to the one that would cower and pee on it's self if you walked into the room. I believe it is the owners who gave the pitbulls most of their bad name.

Agreed, but it sounds like you should have gotten a smaller dog, or a bigger wife... :D

B

For us the "prong collar" was a training tool when my dog was young. Obedience training for a Guardian breed dog is long and tiring process, they just don't have the inclination to want to please you, say like a Lab does, they have been bred for thousands of years to make their own decisions on how to guard the flock. Being a Tibetan mastiff she has a very thick dew lap of loose skin around her neck not to mention thick fur. the choke type collar really had no effect and I didn't like the fact that I was choking her. if a prong collar is sized correctly it does not choke and the prongs don't gouge either, same as the "bed of nails" trick there are lots of them which spreads out the load way from any one point. it is more like a pressure point martial arts move. It only took one or two walks for my dog to learn. I usually walk her on a fairly sort lead (K9storm entry lead works great with mittens) clipped to my riggers belt ( i hate walking with something in my hand). Now that she is 5 years old when on the leash its mostly just for a reminder that she needs to be at heel. She doesn't pull anymore, she has learned to self correct. when we get home I take it off. there was never any need to yank on it. that just seems mean, with any type of collar. I guess any tool can be used incorrectly.

Also, here is our ridiculously happy (and unfortunately spastic) Husky. She is rather new to us. We got her from a lady who had about 40, mostly younger huskies. I wish we were able to take more then one as they were just running like crazy and getting no socialization at all. Our lil' girl is coming along nicely and though she is very hyper she is getting better manners all the time. I know long distance exercise is the key for this one and she loves trail rides with us and running with us.

Hilarious big smile for the camera...

20140828_180831_zpsaygpjjlw.jpg

Edited by RCAR50

You mean cell phone?

My dad had a 1/2 Husky, 1/2 G Shep that was both mean and loyal. It didn't help that he was gone all day and the dog would chew any rope, dig out of the run and generally 'cause problems'.

I'm sure it needed more training/attention than it was getting...

B

I am finding on this site I have a knack of finding peoples pet peeves. I guess for someone who spends money and time creating quality photos with a real camera when calling a cell phone a camera could be somewhat insulting. If that's the case I apologize no harm meant. I haven't used a real camera in years.

LOL Don't worry about it, you are doing fine. Difference in opinion or preference is normal and no big deal... ;)

While I do have a decent DSLR, I'm not a professional photographer by any stretch! I think the real difference is people thinking their cell phone is a camera, rather than having a camera function. It is only recently that phones have decent cameras built in with focus, flash, and other pertinent functions that make them work acceptably.

I think if you had seen some of the blurry, grainy, underexposed POS pictures that people have posted while apologizing for their pointless attachments, you'd probably get where I'm coming from. If a picture is so bad to be useless, don't post it! Turn on a light, have someone hold a flashlight, wait until daylight or go get a real camera. I'm famous for biatching about this, so don't feel special... :D

Your picture wasn't that bad BTW, I could tell it was a dog, and even what breed... ;)

In an effort to get back on the pets, here is a spider that was living on my shed for a while, along with a recent hatch and 2 eggs sacs. The biggest black widow I have ever seen!

(that is a 2x4 by it for reference, and it was living off of yellow jackets. The web was spun around a next and there were a dozen drained ones hanging around)

002_zpse90d6e4c.jpg

B

Try using a decent prong collar on your leg, then try the choke collar, pull hard & see what happens. The prong collar will give a continuous pressure but no real discomfort. The prongs look inhumane, but its really only a way to apply even pressure around the neck. The chocks collar will cause a fairly severe pinch, likely resulting in a bruise, applying all the pressure to a single pinch point. I know several schutzen trainers & they all swear be the prong collars for on lead training.

She's a big one alright!! So, I gotta ask...is she still alive?? At least she is serving a purpose and trying to keep the yellow jacket popular in check around the house..

Hey Ebay..thanks for the back up and being wise on the proper use. I'm hoping that topic can die now before it takes over the thread. I guess we could always all head over to the rant section and yell at eachother over there :) (if there is one, I'll have to search for it..I've heard I need the practice..I'm just being playful Nunya, I'll stop now.) :)