Do you take your Pathfinder off road?

Guest Arizona Slim

Guest Arizona Slim

I'm thinking about getting an 06 Pathfinder, but I'm not sure what I can expect in the way of off-road prowess. I don't care for the inside of the Jeep GC, but I may have to go that route if the Pathy is not up to snuff. Any thoughts?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well all that ive read on the new pathys states that it isnt too bad

basically its good due to all the wizz bang electronic traction control.

however i dont think i personally would be comfortable with a computer driving my car off road. give me lockers and a stick anyday!!!!

the independant suspension all round is a bit of a downer, but i guess if you wanted a serious off roader a new pathy may not be on the cards. that being said i havent heard of reports that drive line failing, unlike crappy toy$hit, i mean toyota landcruisers, who brake front diffs and have front wheels fall off due to ifs collapsing, before they even go off road..... well they do is oz anyway.....

Edited by sw

Arizonal Slim,

I will let you know about the Off Road on the 2005 after Feb 12, 2006. I am going up to the NIORA Winter run on the 11th or 12th and plan to try new things, Will take pics and will have some comments. So hold off and you will know in 2 weeks!

I have a 05 SE 4x4, and I love it..... but I HATE the electronic brake applied limited slip differential. It is a joke. I was wheeling out in the hills here in Boise, some light mud nothing serious and the Pathfinder was pretty much useless. It cuts so much power, and doesn't let you spin a tire that it renders the Pathy useless. I know that electronic aids are supposed to increase vehicle safety and performance, but DAMN... it makes this peticular vehicle useless. Just to make sure I wasn't giving the 05 a hard time, I took it out again when it was dry, and same thing. When climbing hills, the LSD cuts all the power, and yes I tried to turn it off, and its not fully defeatable, so even when its turned off it still interupts forward motion. So now I use my 95 SE-V6 Pathfinder to play in the hills and the 05 now has 22" wheels, and is used to show off "On-road" not off.

Edited by GreenEnvy94Pathy

Guest 05thumpinpathy

well to put in my 2 cents...when i got my pathy it had 12 miles on it the second day i got it i went complete all out mud boggin...have pics to prove...not online though sorry...and i had absolutely no prob with anything...ya if ur gonna get stuck turn the vdc off thats the whole point of it is to stop the wheels from turning when in the event of something bad happening theres no little man inside saying oh hes offroadin oh ok let the wheels spin freely...just push the button...4 low is unstopable...this thing is a tank in the snow mud everything i have no complaints at all remember these are stock tires and stock everything guys not the 4 wheelin suspensions and super swampers you guys have on urs...i just did this for fun just to cover it once good and then baby it...i was more than pleased with it all i never got stuck even in a foot of mud up hill coming from a dead stop...i love this thing...will hope to get an older pathy soon to do some real wheelin...

Thumpin Pathy, I am going to have to call BS as well. I thought that my 05 was a fluke, so I called one of my really good friends who has a 05 SE Off road Pathfinder, and we took his out to the same spot... same problem. Even when you turn off the VDC, it is still there. It allows you more movement and flexability (read tire spining) but still jumps in to cut power. And when you are trying to climb a muddy/snowy hill, cutting power is the last thing you want!

I am curious about the new Frontier/Xterra though, they have the same 4 wheel drive system, but they have the locking rear differential. So I wonder if they will have the same problem that is affecting the new Pathfinders? Either way it needs to be fixed or I will have to go to a different manufacturer when I want a new ride to go off road. Come on Nissan fix this problem. I don't really want to get a new EXPENSIVE 4Runner!!??, but that is how bad this electronic VDC, traction control, brake applied limited slip is pissing me off.

Guest 05thumpinpathy

well you both can call bs all you want i got out with no probs...i know exactly what ur talking bout the cutting out of power but if ur careful and control the spin your fine...i will show you guys picks when i get them on the comp i did take them as proof...so they'll be up shortly...as 4 the pathy bein sucky off road...ya prol its not really ment for it...the only thing diff about the off road addition is skip plates under the oil pan and tranny and a down hill assist...theres nothing else..the tires are the rugged trail where ase ours are the long trail...same kind of tread just different side wall design...i dont know about you but i would much rather take a 2000 dollar beater wheelin than a 30-35k off road...but thats just me...

It allows you more movement and flexability (read tire spining) but still jumps in to cut power. And when you are trying to climb a muddy/snowy hill, cutting power is the last thing you want!

I am curious about the new Frontier/Xterra though, they have the same 4 wheel drive system, but they have the locking rear differential. So I wonder if they will have the same problem that is affecting the new Pathfinders?

Ahh just to set you straight on a fact.

First off with the VDC turned off you can get wheel spin, it brakes the engine with it on.

I do quite a bit of trails in winter and summer and I have been stuck but it was for the crappy factory tires that were on it (changed that) not from lack of wheel spin,had that a plenty. Now I do have the O/R but I knew that rear locker wouldn't help me as I made myself some pretty huge ruts. So didn't even turn it on. I was just spinning no use.

Well this Spring I will post some Vids of some trails with 05 X.

:beer:

Edited by Runnerman

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chuk_I_Gek

Hi guys!

Greetings from Russia and some pictures of brand new R51 off road. Everything was fine until we met gauge and snowdrift. 40 minutes with spade and Pathfinder could do it!

post-23-1140954523.jpg

I haven't had mine off road yet, so I can't tell you anything first hand. The same drive train is in the Xterra, with the exception of the Pathy's independent rear. Road and Track recently picked the Xterra for it's off road ability over the Grand Cherokee, The Hummer H3, and the Toyota Cruiser.

:P