Strut/compression rod bushings

Mr. Pickles

So last night I started by pulling off the swaybar to lube the poly bushings due to squeaks. All good, re-installed and done. Then I figured I'd finally throw on the strut/compression rod bushing set I've had sitting around forever. All of these bushings are poly sets from Energy Suspension, and so far so good. Other than the squeaks I've finally cured, they help firm things up a bit.

Lets just say pic #1 is how Sat night ended, with a toasted socket from an impact set. Sure, it was from Harbor Freight, but it took an 18" 1/2 drive + a 3' steel pipe as a cheater bar. Oh, plus I'd been soaking this on and off for like a month in PB Blaster. This is an example of the frozen and rusted nuts and bolts I've dealt with, just in case some people think I'm full if sheee-it. At this point I didn't really care whether the tool or the nut or bolt broke, but one way or another it was coming out.

post-9-1138587831.jpg

Edited by Mr. Pickles

And now on to why I was replacing these, see the attached pic. I'd recommend anybody with a higher milage truck should check these bushing out. I've known for a while mine where pretty shot. It should be a pretty straight forward install on most trucks. Lift the front of the truck and support it with stands, then only 2 bolts and nuts connecting the rod to the lower control arm per side plus a nut on the end of each rod. Install is the same and removal. If all goes well, its just a bit above changing your oil on the difficulty meter. Of course, nothing ever goes well for me. P...

post-9-1138588189.jpg

Are the cups that hold the bushings in good shape? Mine were pretty far gone once I got around to doing them. I had to put a grinder to what was left and weld a couple bearing races in as replacements.

Yeah, they looked in decent shape. Just had to clean them up a bit.