Plastic repair tips?

MaritimeMan

In my quest to install even more wires in my Pathy, I had to remove the rear interior panels. In doing so, I busted a couple of tabs off of the platic peices that hold them in place. Has any one found a good solid adhesive that will actualy work on this type of plastic? I have tried super glue: nope, Plastic weld: nope, Two part epoxy: nope.

All seem like they would work, yet as soon as they are cured, they become brittle, and the tabs just snap right off again with barely any force and it doesn't bond to the plastic. Is there anything out there that will literaly remelt the plastic to itself again? I am gonna try model glue next, as I have heard that might work, but any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.

M.M.

Edited by MaritimeMan

Hmmm that sounds woth checkin into. I think I'm gonna try the model glue idea, and if that doesn't work, next fiberglass resin. I have some of the slow kick hardener, which I used to repair my fairings on my motorcycle. If that doesn't work, nothing will.

With all the other stuff I have tried already, I doubt that would work, as great as that stuff is. They must use some hard plastic to make those panels cause it won't bond to anything. I'll get back to ya and let ya'll know how it turns out.

Kinda expensinve, but look into a plastic welding kit. Basically its like a monster soldering iron on crack, with sticks of plastic replacing rods. It actually heats and melts the plastic. We used them when I worked in a crotch rocket shop in high school to repair panels and fairings after an ooops. You should be able to pick up a kit for like $50, less at somewhere like Harbor Freight.

Kinda expensinve, but look into a plastic welding kit. Basically its like a monster soldering iron on crack, with sticks of plastic replacing rods. It actually heats and melts the plastic. We used them when I worked in a crotch rocket shop in high school to repair panels and fairings after an ooops. You should be able to pick up a kit for like $50, less at somewhere like Harbor Freight.

Here you go MM, I was actually on HarborFreight.com when I read Mr. P's post lol

PLASTIC WELDING KIT On sale now for $35.99

PLASTIC WELDING RODS, 50 PC. $4.99