Which Suspension lift package?

OR99.5Speed

Which Suspension Package should I go with?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Which Suspension Package should I go with?

• AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Bilstein Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS9000X Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS9000x Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • OME HD ($$$): OME HD Springs, OME Shocks, OME Struts, Nissan strut mounts

I've almost got "EVERYTHING" for my lift.....So far I've got....

AC Coils

KYB GR-2 (Front Struts)

Rancho RS999010XL (Rear Shocks)

New OEM Strut Mount Bearings, Boot/BumpStops, Strut Mount Insulator,Spring Upper Seat, Seat Spring Rubber, Spacer

Camber Alignment Bolts (Summit Racing)

Still Waiting For......

1" Spacer from NX4

Warn Manual Hubs

Wheels and Tires

Is your rancho shock the 9000xl or does it come with secondary reservoir?

Its the 9000XL - 9 position adjustable one.....from what I was told Rancho does not even acknowledge it fitting a pathfinder....it's for a DODGE DURANGO! Go Figure :scratchhead:

That is true...the model is RS999010XL I believe (I have posted it in other threads since I found out this info). It is listed for a Dodge Durango, but it fit on bnoth my 97 and 01 with no problems. The 97 you just need to cut down one of the sleeves and use an assortment of the washers they provide. The 01 used less washers, but the fitment on the lower mount is much tighter, however I could still get them on without a rubber mallet or anything else...

The 97 you just need to cut down one of the sleeves and use an assortment of the washers they provide.

I haven't even opened the box....can you explain more detail.....Sleeves??? Assortment of washers???? :scratchhead:

I haven't even opened the box....can you explain more detail.....Sleeves??? Assortment of washers???? :scratchhead:

The shock has a bushing at either end. Just like the control arm bushings the lower suspension mounting bolt uses a sleeve that you push into the bushing. It is slightly longer than the shock mount, so just use an angle grinder or hacksaw and cut it to a shorter length. They also include I think 3 different width washers, just mix and match those to get the lower shock mount centered and snug. If you take a look you will understand. BTW: if you need any help let me know, I will PM you my phone number and I may even be able to come and help you if I am not busy and you do it in MD.

The shock has a bushing at either end. Just like the control arm bushings the lower suspension mounting bolt uses a sleeve that you push into the bushing. It is slightly longer than the shock mount, so just use an angle grinder or hacksaw and cut it to a shorter length. They also include I think 3 different width washers, just mix and match those to get the lower shock mount centered and snug. If you take a look you will understand. BTW: if you need any help let me know, I will PM you my phone number and I may even be able to come and help you if I am not busy and you do it in MD.

Gotcha.... Thanks for the info! It looks like I'll get my lift done here in Ohio....There's a mechanic guy here that my wife tattooed in exchange for putting a new motor in here tracker! The cool thing is that him and his partner have this killer shop....But for a living they do Heating and Air Conditioning for corporate building, or something like that.....Anyway, they work on trucks "Just For Fun" or if they feel like it. Really Cool Guys!

I really appreciate the help/offer....I don't anticipate being in Maryland anytime soon....but will be at Merriweather Post August 1st (Working Thou) Well have to hook up sometime in the future.

Hey guys,

I went to the 4wd shop yesterday who recommend and are selling the OME suspension setup for the R50. His catalog says I will only get 0.5" of lift on the R50. Based on your experience (those who are running the OME setup), how much lift do you think you have actually acquired in comparison to the stock suspension? Is it really 0.5" or slightly more than 1"? And what tire size do you use?

Also, if the coil only provides 0.5" of lift, is it possible to use 1" spacer on both struts and shocks to give a total of 1.5" lift? This is simply what I had in mind to achieve more lift without extending both shocks and struts, thus, minimizing the possibility of topping out. What's your input on this?

Thank you for your opinion.

Andrew

• 3 months later...
That is true...the model is RS999010XL I believe (I have posted it in other threads since I found out this info). It is listed for a Dodge Durango, but it fit on bnoth my 97 and 01 with no problems. The 97 you just need to cut down one of the sleeves and use an assortment of the washers they provide. The 01 used less washers, but the fitment on the lower mount is much tighter, however I could still get them on without a rubber mallet or anything else...

OK, so the Rancho Shocks do fit on the 2001 Pathy. However, I wouldn't recommend them.

I changed my full suspension system based on the recommendations here: OME coil springs, KY-B Struts, and Rancho Shocks.

The Rancho shocks, while adjustable, seem definitely too compressed with the truck unloaded. If I were to do it again, I'd be inclined to something else.

Raz

• 7 months later...

So I know this thread is old, but I'm posting here anyway ;)

I have read this entire thread, and it is like information overload! I have a 2000 SE with BFG A/T tires size 255/70 r16 on stock rims. 99% of my driving is on road, probably close to 50/50 highway/city. I tow my 6'x10' trailer for work, and sometimes for play, and try and keep it as evenly loaded over the axle as I can. I also have a hitch mount bicycle rack that probably weighs 70lbs that is on most of the summer. It can sometimes hold 150 lbs of bikes, and that is all way over the rear axle. I sometimes go on dirt or fire roads, and rarely go offroading (I'd like to more though) I use my truck A LOT, and for all the snow we had this winter here in VA, I was a family/friends shuttle service. My suspension is TOTALLY worn out, and almost dangerous to drive. I top and bottom out over every big bump, and skip around corners.

With all that being said, here is what I am looking at installing. This will be done by a friend and I. (and by that, I mean I will provide the beer, and watch and pass him tools as necessary, he has a lot of mechanic experience)

From Rocky Road Outfitters:

2x OME922 Rear Coil Spring

2x OME923 Heavy duty front spring

2x OMDN104 rear shock-medium.

From Amazon:

1x KYB 335030 GR-2 Strut

1x KYB 335031 GR-2 Strut

1x AIR LIFT 60742 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit

The air helper springs were suggested for when I am trailoring.

Is there anything else I need? Will this do what I need it to do?

Thanks!

i'm not completely familiar with lifts nor do i have one, but i've seen over and over again that new strut mounts are a must.

i've also seen more people use HD coils in the rear, not the front. unless, i'm confused and got it mixed up.

• 3 months later...

i'm not completely familiar with lifts nor do i have one, but i've seen over and over again that new strut mounts are a must.

i've also seen more people use HD coils in the rear, not the front. unless, i'm confused and got it mixed up.

i beleive the HD go in the front to make the truck "level"...when it comes to the OME lift hieghts...an arb dealer told me the three levels of spring rates...soft, medium, and heavy duty, will give 0.5" of lift with "X" amount of weight over stock!!! Cant find the actual #s...but thats how i understood him.

EXAMPLE... with 200lbs over stock (the load) the light coils give 0.5"...with the mediums and 300lbs of weight give 0.5" and heavy duty with 450 lbs of weight would give 0.5" of lift! Those #s arent completely accurate... just to show how he explained it to me!!

BTW...ive been reading these posts for about a year now and there is a lot of useful info... Just wish there was more choice for ordering IN Canada!!!

Tyler

new stuff on the way.... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! Unfortunately, no OME struts...none in North America, none coming, and at least 8wks delivery from manufacturer in AUS. That timeline was just a guess too!!! OME springs and shocks on the way and had to settle for GR-2 on the front!!!

Ill throw on some pics of the truck now and then when we get the lift done in next couple of wks!!!

CANNT WAIT!!!

new stuff on the way.... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! Unfortunately, no OME struts...none in North America, none coming, and at least 8wks delivery from manufacturer in AUS. That timeline was just a guess too!!! OME springs and shocks on the way and had to settle for GR-2 on the front!!!

Ill throw on some pics of the truck now and then when we get the lift done in next couple of wks!!!

CANNT WAIT!!!

Looks like an old post/thread, but glad to see new action in it. Good luck with your install - shouldn't be too tough for someone with decent experience. Would you mind measuring your before/after height on your vehicle to see just how much your setup gave you in increased clearance? (Maybe measuring from center front and rear bumpers...if they are both still stock)

I have the Automotive Customizers 2" HD coil lift with Rancho all around. At first it sat at about 2.5" over stock height but has since settled to just about 1.75" (especially in the front). A little disappointing for me to see it settle so much in only 3 years and it actually has even more rake than when I had stock suspension.

I haven't heard anything bad about the KYB GR-2 struts. I run with another 2001 Pathy that says they are very good.

Also, are you planning on getting some bigger shoes once the lift goes on?

Thanks (from a fellow 2001 Pathy).

hi there Rick... im going to measure for sure... want to see how much gained... i got the HD coils for the front of mine,even without a bumper, so it doesnt settle sooo much. Ive heard lots of good things bout the GR 2 but i REALLY wanted the matching OME struts :(

I have a set of 15 inch steelies waiting for me 31 x 10.5 BUT i think the b/s is same as stock...soooooo not sure if gunna fit! might have to run stockers for now. (16")

Edited by ty01pathfinder

Looks like an old post/thread, but glad to see new action in it.

for that he gets :clap: , someoen actually using the search! Kudos ty01pathfinder and good luck with your install!

thanks nunya...cant wait to get started...half the parts here..other half on the way!!!!!

You can bet ill be back on asking for help soooon enuf!

• 2 weeks later...

Well...got all the parts today....started installing already...stupid rusty bolts...oh ya, bump stops are gone in the back...nissan only parts at 83.00 each.OUCH!!!! Forgot to take pics of b4 but i got measurements tho!!! Wishing me more luck pls!!!!

Tye

Good Luck! No need bump stops. Over rated! Haha. Well, I don't have any, and I need to replace them. Expensive though.

Take pics when done!

Jose

Got the back 3/4 done last night. Not that difficult...just cant get the rear sway links apart...all bolts and nuts and the knuckle turn...gunna get out sawzall and dremel!!!!! (and a really big hammer) LOL

The back got 2.5 inches of lift without the spare back on yet...the front has to wait till i can get the spring compressor tomorrow!!! I got some yellow paint for the silver GR 2's...now they look like the rest of the OME suspension!!!!!! cant wait.... TYE!!!

Got the back 3/4 done last night. Not that difficult...just cant get the rear sway links apart...all bolts and nuts and the knuckle turn...gunna get out sawzall and dremel!!!!! (and a really big hammer) LOL

The back got 2.5 inches of lift without the spare back on yet...the front has to wait till i can get the spring compressor tomorrow!!! I got some yellow paint for the silver GR 2's...now they look like the rest of the OME suspension!!!!!! cant wait.... TYE!!!

O.K....had to cut the rear stab. links off, one was installed incorrectly...found out i hafta replace lower ball joints...AGAIN...i didnt do em first time and im having one hell-of-a-time getting em out!!! Front struts all installed and lookin good, front links and bushings in...31's waiting with new 15" rims...they sent me wrong rear swaybar bushings...LOOKING FORWARD to a test spin!!!!!!

TYE

2001 3.5L SE OME HD front...OME MD rear coils...GR-2 struts, OME Nitrocharger rear shocks, alot of sweat and swearing!!!!!

Edited by ty01pathfinder

Well its down off the blocks...looks great and still has the old (worn) tires. Took it for a little spin round the block and still a smalll noise in front end. Gunna check all connections etc tomorrow. Looks like almost 2.5 inches in the back and 2.25 or so in the front. VERY stiff tho. Havent gone more than a couple hundred yards yet. I think im gunna like it!!!!

Tye