Which Suspension lift package?

OR99.5Speed

Which Suspension Package should I go with?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Which Suspension Package should I go with?

• AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Bilstein Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS9000X Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS9000x Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • OME HD ($$$): OME HD Springs, OME Shocks, OME Struts, Nissan strut mounts

Thanks for the info on that. I thought that since OME has the 1.75" lift, they would have increased the travel of the shocks... Owell... AC it is... Unfortunately my OME springs are only 1 year old so I will have to wait a while.

I just ordered what I think I need to do my lift. If I am missing something could some one let me know? Here is what I have coming:

ome heavy 2" front springs and 1/4" spacers

ome medium 2" rear springs

kyb gr2 front struts

kyb rear gr2 gas adjust rear shocks

I hope to find a machine shop to make some 1" spacers to make up for leveling out the front end.

I am not sure of the nominclature of the cap mount on top of the strut, in any case I can use the original right? I know I will have to get longer studs for the spacer difference.

I will add the locking hubs a little later. Can anyone give me a good place to get them?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Got my OME setup installed this past weekend. I stacked three of the trim packers(spacers) from Rocky Road. Worked out real good but I think I will have to adjust the camber. I've driven it about 200 miles and it hasn't settled yet. I ordered the camber bolts from AC just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my new tires!!!

31' BFG's AT/KO they're awesome.... Waiting for my warn hubs to come in so i can install those.... and then i'll just save money.. By Jan I should get my lift... this is what i have in mind:

OME coils HD in the front Med in the back..

I'm still undecisive about Rancho or KYB GR2 struts, which ones do you guys recommend? Which one gives you more "bang" for your buck? As for the shocks i think i'm sticking to Rancho either RS5000 or RS9000X which ever you guys think is best... I've also read about a camper alignement is this necessary and what is its purpose? and how much does it run? and finally Nissan strut mounts, how much and were can i find them?

am i missing anything else.. if so let me know... alright catch you guys later.. and thanks in advance for the all input..

Camber kits aren't necessary with the OME coils. Lots of guys run the KYB's and the RX9000X's. I found strut mounts at a number of online parts dealers including tire rack - just shop around and be sure to get the right part #'s.

im a newby. i just bought my 97 pathfinder and its in need of a lift. im 16 and have no money. those spacers seem like the cheapest way to go. about how much would it cost to do the AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS9000X Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts? also could i do this lift myself in the garage?

Check out the suspension section on www.4x4parts.com for the latest pricing.

It is something you can do in your garage, however, I would have a professional assemble the struts. They're dangerous. I was installing a cup-kit on a BMW 3-series a couple years ago, the compressors let go and the coil shot through the 12" thick stucko garage wall...Now...imagine if someone had been standing there. That's a whole world of hurt.

Check out the suspension section on www.4x4parts.com for the latest pricing.

It is something you can do in your garage, however, I would have a professional assemble the struts. They're dangerous. I was installing a cup-kit on a BMW 3-series a couple years ago, the compressors let go and the coil shot through the 12" thick stucko garage wall...Now...imagine if someone had been standing there. That's a whole world of hurt.

man...i was seriously thinking about getting the old man emu's and installing them myself. actually, i just looked at the FSM, and yea, i don't have a vise or coil compressor =/. to a local shop i'll go =P

also, as i was reading this thread, i saw that you don't have to replace the stock shocks in order to fit the OME springs...and some actually liked this setup better. i only read about this for the front though, can you use the stock shocks and OME springs for the rear as well?

also, this might be a stupid question, but are shocks the same as struts? and coils are springs yea? stupid i know, but i'm more of a hands on person that doesn't know the technical names for these things. hopefully i can get some clarification on this so that i can actually visualize what people are doing with their setup on this thread =P

Quismo...were you born that stupid, or did you have to take lessons?

:lol: Just kidding man, but I've been DYING to use that line on someone for like 3 days now...:lol:

The front suspension on an R50 is a McPherson Strut, similar to what is found on most passenger cars. This design implements a McPhereson style strut shock-absorber, with a coil spring wound over it. The system is basically like this:

mcpherson.gif

The rear suspension on an R50 is a 5-link, coil-sprung, live-axle. The coil springs (proper term, usually just referred to as coils, or springs) are seated in a bucket on the axle, and an upper-spring-seat on the mono-frame. The shock-absorbers (aka: shocks) are mounted to the axle near the coil-spring-bucket, and to the monoframe. The system is similar in design to this:

solidaxlecoilspring.jpg

However, it has a link setup that is closer in design to this:

4barparallel.jpg

Here's a good website that covers almost every kind of car suspension. What he referrs to as a "Dependent Suspension" is a live-axle.

Quismo...were you born that stupid, or did you have to take lessons?

:lol: Just kidding man, but I've been DYING to use that line on someone for like 3 days now...:lol:

lmao venge! hey i paid a lot for those lessons thank you very much! =P

thanks though, that helped a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

alright, so ive come up with a way to lift my front end. my plan is to just make a bracket from the bottom of the strut to the bracket the strut is bolted to. i figure it would give it about a 4 in. lift and i would be able to put bigger tires on. in order to make the cv axle horizontal i would have to put spacers in between the frame and the entire assembly dealy. i dont knwo what to do about the engine mounts though. ill figure that out later. my dad is totally against me taking on this project. i think it will be fun. i dont see any major problems with this lift though. if you have any suggestions or comments please tell. i need some advice.

post-7-1159419666.jpg

• 4 months later...

Got the new lift installed. I went with the AC 2" lift. I have KYB struts in front and Bilstein shocks in the rear. I also have a skid up front, sliders, warn hubs and need bigger tires.

Pics @ http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/i...a662d00e933c43b.

So far I am extremely happy with the decision I made with this particular lift.