Which generation is best FACTORY off road  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which generation is best FACTORY off road

• 1987-1989 2 Door because of smaller wheelbase
    • 1990-1995 4 Door
    • 1996-1999
    • 1999.5-2004 because of larger 3.5 engine
    • 2005- current

I thought it was like about 160ft/lbs. If its 260 PLEASE let me know cuz that would make me a little happier when someone askes... which will prolly never happen BUT STILL!!!

Mine has the LSD and 31s and its awesome! I havent driven the others at all but because mines a 2 door and I wanna see it win...

2 DOOR!!! OoooooooWeeeeeee!

Rami

I know that at least the 1991-1995 WD21s came with the 260ft/lbs LSD and every other Nissan after (WD22, R50, etc) came with 130ft/lbs LSD... I have no idea about prior Nissans so if anyone has the FSM for the earlier years it will state the settings in the LSD rebuild section.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teen, there is a easy way to find out if you have LSD. Take your jack out, put it under the rear pumkin, jack it up, place the tranny in neutral, go to your back tires and spin one by hand... if the tire opposite of the one your moving goes in the same direction, you have a limited slip rear. If it moves in the opposite direction you have a open diff. -study-

I would think the new Pathfinders are the most capable because of all the power. Sure the clearance isn't quite up to the WD21 standard and the approach and breakover angle are a little less (I think the departure angle might be better? Just a guess). But all that power has got to count for something... isn't it 270 horsepower? Just because 99% of the 2005 Pathfinder owners won't take it off-road doesn't mean it's not capable. That's where my vote is going.

I would think the new Pathfinders are the most capable because of all the power. Sure the clearance isn't quite up to the WD21 standard and the approach and breakover angle are a little less (I think the departure angle might be better? Just a guess). But all that power has got to count for something... isn't it 270 horsepower? Just because 99% of the 2005 Pathfinder owners won't take it off-road doesn't mean it's not capable. That's where my vote is going.

sly You didn't read the original question.. did ya...

factory off the showroom floor off road prowess

Horsepower is a remarkably poor measure of off road ability... :nono:

B

God, so true.

All of the SUV marketing has shown the new SUVs tearing through the trails at ridiculous speeds. Nissan is guilty, showing the new Xterra and Armada. Either they would break something or break their truck in a crash.

Idiots. What happened to Tread Lightly?

Teen, there is a easy way to find out if you have LSD. Take your jack out, put it under the rear pumkin, jack it up, place the tranny in neutral, go to your back tires and spin one by hand... if the tire opposite of the one your moving goes in the same direction, you have a limited slip rear. If it moves in the opposite direction you have a open diff. -study-

Which one do I want?

With all the trash talkin on the new pathys, I have to ask...how many of you have actually 'wheeled one?

A colleague of the Crazy G has a 2001...we railed it all 'roud baja lookin for rocks a while back...I was suprised how well it performed. We only got stuck once; and my '91 would have been mired in that same quagmire (getting back to the driver...) Honestly, just returning from mexico without your field vehicle getting stolen or "taxed" is a a good start. And the 2001 came back in perfect order. Rotate the tires and change the oil, done, after a long, rough road...And it is a hell of a lot quiter than my '91.

I'm still looking for another low mile WD though...

R50s are pretty good off road. A buddy of mine wheels the snot out of it and he's one crazy mofo. He made some mods to it like custom front/rear bumpers, rock sliders, and skidplates as well as 32" MT rubber and a full snorkel.

The fact is that in stock form it's not as capable as WD21s. Also 2001 is no longer considered the new Pathfinder.

Edited by Filthy Luker

Horsepower is a remarkably poor measure of off road ability... :nono:

B

DITTO!

If huge horsepower was so important, then why is the 4cyl toyota so popular?

Since the question is "factory off-road ability" I think the wd21 has it 2 or 4dr. mines a 90 4dr so I like that setup best. I have my rear seats out off the truck cause the bolts rusted out of the body, and with a nice little flatbed I built in there i could almost lie down and get a good nights sleep, almost.

That being said I would like to see a 2006 doing its thing off road. I think it might give the wd21 a run for its money, but the second you even think about modding anything the wd21 is the clear winner.

I think that if you put a good enough driver in a new Pathfinder, it could stomp a WD21 into the dirt. While a capable rig helps, I think that as close as this call is it's more up to the driver. Geo Trackers are sometimes refered to as capable not because they have big tires or a bunch of clearance but because the owners could care less if he broke it... so he's more aggressive.