Which generation is best FACTORY off road  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which generation is best FACTORY off road

• 1987-1989 2 Door because of smaller wheelbase
    • 1990-1995 4 Door
    • 1996-1999
    • 1999.5-2004 because of larger 3.5 engine
    • 2005- current

I searched for a thread like this, and to no avail. I am really interested to see what everyone thinks is the best generation for factory off the showroom floor off road prowess. Please don't vote for your favorite year because it is the one you own, I would like to know best out of the box. I look forward to seeing the results pile up. -argue-

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have seen the R50s off road...bone stock...and it was terrible...i could not believe it was still a pathfinder...i have a 95..and with 31s it dosent do that badly...i can go farther then the explorers around me, and many jeeps, so im happy

*pulls his latest "Petersen's 4Wheel and Off-Road" mag, truck of the year edition*

Previous 4x4 of the Year Winners:

1987: Nissan Pathfinder (two door)

1990: Nissan Pathfinder (four-door)

So the first of each edition earned 4x4 of the year. Then we both win, right? :beer:

1999.5-2004 because of larger 3.5 engine

I *think* that started in 2002??

I have a 3.3 in my 99.5

According to some Nissan advert, appearently the '05 is the best so far.

uh huh...

Besides... it's the driver, not the rig. B)

Agreed.

The 2 door just looks better. :hide:

I agree.

I did not even know they had 2 door Pathy's when I got my 4 door.

Which means I probly would not have been able to find one even if I wanted one.

But maybe the next one will be 2 door, hopefully then I can afford to go offroad.

I *think* that started in 2002??

I have a 3.3 in my 99.5

According to some Nissan advert, appearently the '05 is the best so far.

uh huh...

Besides... it's the driver, not the rig. B)

2001 was the first year for the 3.5.

Stock Pathy can come in many ways, with or without:

A/T or manual

LSD

Off-road/sport packages

Special shocks

Tires/wheel sizes

"Real" frame :lol:

etc.

As noted above, it is the driver that contributes the most.

Yes, the wheelbase is the same for 2 door and pre96 4 door's.

Never having wheeled them together in a shoot out, I suspect the WD21 with a SE package (Including factory 31", adjustable shocks and LSD) would be the most off road worthy in stock form.

Then, as I'm fond on saying, it's 1/2 the truck, 1/2 the driver; we've all seen enough internet videos and photos to agree on that (much less first hand experiences) !!

B

Then, as I'm fond on saying, it's 1/2 the truck, 1/2 the driver; we've all seen enough internet videos and photos to agree on that (much less first hand experiences) !!

B

I'll agree with that... if the truck mechanically/physically cannot do it it really does not matter how good the driver is.

But on the other side of the coin... a heavily modded truck is limited to it's drivers abilities.

It really does take a combination of both to get where your going... and back.

*Just my opinion, take it as you will* :shrug:

B

Partially disagree... B)

It's:

1/3 the truck

1/3 the driver

1/3 the bud outside saying "Here... Here... Turn Right! NOOOO! I MEANT LEFTTT! Ok... Come... Stop! No! STOP!!!! OW! WHAT A SH..... I DIDN'T SEE THAT ROCK!!!!!" :D

(that's my wife "helping" me) :(

i say the first gens. mines an 88 and i haven't broken a damn thing YET. except a few alternators -argue- but yeah, everytime my buddys broncos and 4 runners and whatnot go out with me, they always come home with something wrong. i'll admit, i dog the crap out of the pathfinder, mainly because when i graduate i should get something a little newer and nicer and the pathy will finally be the trail rig so, from what i've done, i'd say its pretty dang good.

*pulls his latest "Petersen's 4Wheel and Off-Road" mag, truck of the year edition*

Previous 4x4 of the Year Winners:

1987: Nissan Pathfinder (two door)

1990: Nissan Pathfinder (four-door)

So the first of each edition earned 4x4 of the year. Then we both win, right? :beer:

what he said :aok:

Gotta go with the 1st generation, with a frame & shocks rather than the self destructing struts & a unibody... :hide:

To each their own, though ~ followed a black R50 home from work tonight, we ended up along side each other at a signal, loooked each other's rigs over, thumbs up & smiled... :cool2:

post-1-1135052495.jpg

Edited by hardwaretoad

...........Feelings, Nothing more than Feelings............... :takebow:

If I knew that transmoto would have been giving up his sweet Path (found in vehicles for sale) I would have never put on my OME Kit and spent the time on mine I would have sold and traded backwards fast!!!

Did the 2dr Pathys come with 260ft/lbs LSDs and 31" tires? Probably.... so I'd say any of the trucks that had that are the best in stock form.

I thought it was like about 160ft/lbs. If its 260 PLEASE let me know cuz that would make me a little happier when someone askes... which will prolly never happen BUT STILL!!!

Mine has the LSD and 31s and its awesome! I havent driven the others at all but because mines a 2 door and I wanna see it win...

2 DOOR!!! OoooooooWeeeeeee!

Rami