Shifting on the fly.

TeenZombie

• 3 weeks later...

I'll just throw this out. After hubs are locked I've shifted back and forth from 2H to 4H on the interstate at 70+ mph. If you are going straight, and no odd wheel size there should be no reason that this can't be done. The key is that everything is turning at the same speed.

Oh yeah, usually do the shifts at constant speed/throttle. No need to be applying extra torque while sliding gears around.

Leaving the hubs locked when in 2H causes a binding in the front end when making turns. The sharper the turn(i.e., pulling into a parking space) the more the binding. Definitely doesn't feel good, so if I've been running 4H on the road I stop and unlock before trying to make an tight corners.

Edited by andreus009

my visor

visor0ye.th.jpg

i feel safe following these instructions.

wow. your visor is much nicer than mine... mine is starting to curl n peel at the bottom... and it now has a mudmashers.com sticker bang smack in the middle... :blink:

rolling in straight line on a solid surface it can be shift in and out of 4WD (HI). The key is that all wheels need to be turning at the same speed.

I think this is the key.

If you are spinning a tire or turning or whatever then by engagind the t caseyou are trying to mesh gears that are spinning at different speeds.

I have never experienced the problem described when going into 4HI, but like said I always try to do it while moving slowly straight and although i'm in gear I am not really on the throttle

• 3 weeks later...
:o :o :o

thanks for testing that out for us man.. :mellow:

Hahaha, I just lost it there....... :laugh:

The only noise I notice when shifting from 2H to 4H is when my rear tires are spinning as I shift. If the tires aren't spinning I'm able to shift in and out of 2H and 4H at will. 4L, however, I do have to stop and put the clutch in. This is in a 98.

• 8 months later...
Guest 95pathfinderSE

got a couple of questions. i have no problems shifting from 2h-4h while stopped in neutral. It goes right down to neutral no problem and eventually into 4 lo. The problem is when shifting back to neutral and 4h from the 4lo position. any suggestions. there are alot of wierd noises that are starting to freak me out. I drive mostly on the beach when off road whcih means sometimes i have to get into 4lo. I only started using 4wd alot within the last few months. maybe it just hadnt been used in a while. any suggestions or explanations?

I have tried shifting on the fly with my 91 and I think that if you don't engage the hubs before you start then it gives you trouble, because one time I tried to throw it in 4Hi while going about 20 in a wash without the hubs engaged and there was a really nasty grinding noise, yet I tried to force it in again for some strange reason and the tires locked up and I slid to a stop, but I have never had a problem since with anything. I have stopped and engaged the hubs then tried it and it seems to work just fine. I just don't shift on the fly any more.

Edited by Jdpathy

• 3 weeks later...
From “2H” to “4H”

- Move the transfer lever to “4H”. This can be done at any speed up to 50 MPH (80 km/h), and it is not necessary to depress the clutch pedal. Perform this operation when driving straight.

From “4H” to “2H”

- Move the transfer lever to “2H”. This can be done at any speed up to 50 MPH (80 km/h), and it is not necessary to depress the clutch pedal. Perform this operation when driving straight.

That is only for manual Locking hubs

Auto locking hubs you can only be going like 30

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well, I got brave enough to try 4x on the fly and the key is that you have to have your hubs locked in before you shift between 4hi and 2, when I shift I throw the tranny in neutral then put it into the proper gear then put the tranny back in gear

I think that this is a pointless post cause every one else has just about said the same thing, but what the heck :contract:

I've heard of people shifting "on the fly" into 4wd, but with this being my first truck AND first 4X4, paranoia has kept me from trying it.

with all the snow we've received since the weekend, I haven't had to worry about taking it in and out of 4wd. I had to switch to 4L on sunday, just to go to the store. the only thing I had noticed was, that in 4L, when I got close to 30mph, it acted as though I had the tranny in 1st. I'm assuming it's because of the way the gears are set up in the front end.

the response time it takes to get out of some rough spots has been incredible. where I live, we now have just over 3' of snow. the 4wd has been a blessing.

• 8 months later...

I have to admit that my pathy is the easiest engageing 4x4 I ever owned! However I never engage to 4x4 on the go.

I am so traditional. I go to a complete stop, move the 4x4 shifter into 4hi or 4low and take off. When I take it off, I stop put it back into 2wd and reverse it back about 2'-3'. Then I put tranny into drive and go on about.

Works great for me.

Edited by Xmas

I usually stop to shift into 4wd.... unles I'm heading into something in 2wd and suddenly realize that I'm not gonna make it through in 2wd and if I stop... I'm sunk. Slam 'er into 4 and floor it

• 1 month later...

Question:

When I shift into 4WD the first time, then shift out, that means the TRANSFER CASE is active and supplying power to the front tires, but the HUBS are not locked, correct?

So this will NOT affect my turning (or put stress on the transfer case) but it WILL allow me to shift on the fly, right?

Just making sure.

When the shifter is put into "4WD", the transfer case is actively sending power to the front wheels. If it's in "2WD", it just sends all the juice to the back wheels. The auto hubs lock when torque is applied to the CV axles (in 4WD only) and unlock after stopping and reversing for about 10-20 feet. If you don't reverse to unlock the hubs they may stay locked for a bit and can cause steering stress, but not as much as when the t-case is in 4WD.